• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Ceiling dose Adderall

I've begun to notice that there is a ceiling effect with Adderall. I can't get any higher than I do at 90mg. For instance yesterday I took 90mg XR and had a great time but today I take 135mg....

Hi! New here sort of...but not new to drugs/meds. I've taken Adderall (immediate release tablets) for over 10 yrs.

In my experience, you can take high doses of it but your body/brain must have fuel (calories) for it to respond at peak effectiveness. And as hard as it is to eat when you're on Adderall, it will make a difference, so try to eat a 'stick to your ribs' meal before you take it or in between doses. Immediate release or extended release won't make a diff in this situation.

Sometimes when I absolutely cannot bring myself to eat, I'll grab a Muscle Milk or a high protein Boost/Ensure and down a couple so my body gets some fuel. It makes a big difference for me but every body is different.

I hope that helps.

Just thought of something else that's very important. Adderall is absorbed much much better in less acidic stomach contents...I take mine with a Tums sometimes, I take Prilosec most days which works the same in lowering stomach acid content. Never take it with fruit juice, or acidic foods, tomato juice, etc. I've switched to Zegerid because it has an immediate release of sodium bicarbonate (ideal for Adderall absorption) way before the omeperazole kicks in.

If you snort the Adderall, it's not as important, but when snorting it, some of it inevitably goes into the stomach.

Last edited:
Do you mean as a single dose or with continual dosing?

With continual dosing, the most i've taken was either 120mg or 140mg IR orally over like 4-5 hours 2 years ago.. With each re-dose, there was less and less effect and it started to make me tired / made me crash sooner than i would've with a lower dose

Having said that, as a single dose i've only taken up to 30mg IR orally (my script) at a time but it seems to make me sedated rather than alert/focused (not as high) and burn me out/wear off within 3-4hrs max; while dosing 15mg 2x with a 1-2hr gap between each dose gives me a better additive effect..if that makes sense. My usual daily MOA is plugging as oral dosing is too weak/ineffective for me now

So tolerance definitely comes into play as well as MOA. With daily dosing, only snorting gives me a consistent high/rush.. tho i usually avoid that these days and save it for the rare occasion that calls for it

Last edited:
I would imagine that regular usage of amphetamine would indeed have a 'ceiling effect' because at high doses it acts as a releasing agent, and if you redose frequently your monoamine levels are not going to regenerate 100%.

Adderall ceilings and whatnot have been heavy on my mind lately. I did not make it to the several posts, so this may seem like an inadvertent shift in subject mattersseems like even heal I saw a doctor earlier today about a reaction i had to Adderall that was consistent very specifically with a stroke, after having taken i think about 150mg IR over 36 hrs. he didn't seem too worried about the stroke idea, and he didn't itemize and explain my symptoms. It seems that even health professionals take on this vague admonishing tone when dealing with controlled substances, one that is in fact empty of content. As a reflex he was defendingsome ambiguous morality that he could not explain. They took some blood and i got some full tests, but at first they thought I wanted a refill. hahaha

i havent read anything on blulght about stabbing needle pains, which is my moost profounsd symptom with adderall.. weird after that overdose, i have taken 2 10mggs tonight and i feell like its happening again.. I will have to drop a giant Lyrica capsule to stop the convulsions
By the way, this garbage started when i got a refill of the Barr generic. I do not recommend it.

he didn't seem too worried about the stroke idea, and he didn't itemize and explain my symptoms.

I wouldn't either, amphetamines are known for inducing paranoia and psychosis, and people who have strokes are generally not well enough to go on the internet and complain about the brand name of drugs.

If you continue to take drugs even after you have had a self-proclaimed 'drug induced stroke' you are engaging in self-harm. I suggest you discontinue your Adderall for a while and detox.

Yah I have the same thing going on. Also, when I take more than 150mg in a day and get the mental confusion and feel slow it?s - it is likely a mild manifestation of neurotoxicity, possibly slight serotonin syndrome symptoms, especially if you are on an antidepressant.

Read up on it, there are a lot of good articles that explain the science behind it, and easy remedies to combat it, like getting your body temperature cooler, ibuprofen, vitamin C or turmeric. Google search Adderall and Neurotoxicity.

It can be frustrating though sometimes I feel yah.

Yeah adderal has too many side effects to keep increasing the dose. If you want more pleasurable effects, you would have to graduate to dexedrine or meth. Would not recommend the latter.