• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

CBD/Tramadol/Sumatriptan

trippieh3lix

Bluelighter
TLDR read down below - Ok, so I know most can say CBD is ok or its been fine for them ? but I have fibromyalgia and migraines and CBD hasnt quite touched my migraines yet or Fibro in a way I find significant relief.

I take 100mgs of Tramadol daily, along with Imitrex as needed (usually once or twice a week at 50mg). I know Imitrex and tramadol both boost serotonin, and so does CBD. So I space them out at least 3 hours apart. Its still a scary combination and I still proceed with those two with caution.

I dont want to give myself serotonin syndrome, or cause any weird blood vessel issues. I know Imitrex is a Vasoconstrictor and CBD is a Vasodilator, which already doesnt seem good. And I know all 3 affect serotonin levels. Ive asked pharmacists and they dont really know how to answer combining them all. What is safe to take between all 3, and is this combo ok in any way?

TLDR- Being Imitrex is a Vasoconstrictor; and CBD is a Vascodilator, and then all 3 ( Tramadol, CBD, and Imitrex ) all are affecting serotonin levels in the brain. So Im here because I need advice. There are quite a few people who are educated here about this sort of thing.

Any ideas as to taking these 3 all in the same day is in anyway safe?

Not sure you can get the pain relief benefit of cbd for fibromyalgia unless you take it more often than you are now. I’ve never gotten pain relief from cbd unless I took it continuously throughout the day for at least 24 hrs first. It was really helpful but too expensive.

I can’t really answer your questions from a science perspective but I’ve been prescribed up to 200mg/day of tramadol and SSRIs/SNRIs at the same time. I think the SNRI in tramadol is really weak and the warnings have more to do with if someone is taking substantially high doses of drugs.

I have worried about friends who are taking anti depressants and high doses of recreational drugs getting serotonin syndrome but I wouldn’t expect a concern here. It’ll be interesting to see what people who know better than I say. I wonder if anyone has actually ever gotten serotonin syndrome from taking meds as prescribed with, say, St John’s Wort?

Have you thought about dropping the tramadol and taking the CBD continuously throughout the day for pain? Since the Imitrex is just for migraines you wouldn't be taking it everyday, and the CBD is much better for pain than tramadol is. I have migraines also and I would be wary of this combination. I took tramadol daily for over 5 years and I had to be very careful because tramadol simply doesn't play well with many other medicines, even OTC meds.

it could just be an experiment for a couple of weeks because at the moment I don't think you are getting everything you could out of the CBD because of your fear of causing serotonin syndrome. You may find that you are happy with the CBD and stop taking tramadol. Or if your meds are coming from a doctor maybe ask him to give you hydrocodone instead of tramadol. Your dosage of tramadol is low but if fear is causing you to take too small of a dose of both medicines so that you don't have control of the pain then it's not worth taking.

Just my opinion.