• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

CBD oil?

kingkpin

Bluelighter
I went to my local vape store today and the woman at the register was trying to tell me that CBD oil will act as a bit of a pain killer if I smoke enough of it. I know it doesn't contain THC but do you get any feeling at all from it?

Usually you would just ingest the oil via a tea or drink, not „smoke“/vaporize it, but maybe I didn't look enough into the various possible application methods.

For me it has strong anxiolytic and slighty stoning as well as antidepressant effects, and yes, it helps against back pain too, without the numerous side effects of established medications. To be honest however, high-grade medical weed from the darknet is much more cost effective for me :)

Some people claim pure CBD can help (especially with inflammatory-related pain) but others say it can cause agitation (especially with higher doses). If you don't have access to CBD-rich cannabis it might be worth trying.

My understanding, altho not from experience, is that pure CBD won't be psychoactive.

Which is why CBD only strains like Charlotte's Web and ACDC are recommended even for child use.

However mixed with decent levels of THC, it's a whole different story. Think Cannatonic.

The oil ("CBD-Öl") you can order legally from the internet here in Germany is AFAIK a CO2 extract from industrial hemp – diluted with olive oil – in order to keep the THC concentration of the product below the legal threshold of 0.2 %. I unfortunately don't know about pure CBD, however the oily extract might probably contain additional active substances from the plant which might contribute to an antidepressant effect in addition to downing/antipsychotic effects.

It's produced in Amsterdam BTW, but ironically quite hard to get there.

CBD will cyclize to THC upon treatment with heat or acid.

I've gotten a few different types of CBD oil and it all depended on where I got it.
I got this liquid from a vape shop in a higher end mall, and it made me feel stoned. It was a little on the expensive side but it was worth it.
Then i went to a head shop that sold liquids and bought the same stuff with a different brand name on it because it was cheaper and i didnt feel a thing. Maybe the higher end shop was actually selling me THC oil? I don't think real CBD actually causes a high, maybe a slight relaxation

CBD will cyclize to THC upon treatment with heat or acid.

Do you have a source for that? You're usually the expert on things but I would disagree that CBD can be converted to THC with heat. I don't know about acid but I've never heard of CBD to THC conversion in a lab (probably also because it doesn't make sense economically).

CBD does not contain THC so it can't get you high - in fact, CBD oil can counteract THC effects! I guess it works in different way on everyone but I vape cbd to reduce pain & anxiety and it works perfectly for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have a source for that? You're usually the expert on things but I would disagree that CBD can be converted to THC with heat. I don't know about acid but I've never heard of CBD to THC conversion in a lab (probably also because it doesn't make sense economically).

yeah I've never heard of this either but would be very curious to know if it were true or not. Perhaps with an acid but heat doesn't sound likely to me. I know there are patents out there on the conversion but that doesn't mean it has been pulled off.

CBD cyclizes to THC in gastric juices[ref] and in the presence of acids (e.g. the old school "Dr Atomic" method using sulfuric acid)... given that both THC and CBD are phenols, which are mildly acidic on their own, it doesn't seem that far fetched that it would cyclize due to its own acidity when heated enough to vaporize.

so would that mean that when you vaporize cannabis flower the cbd in the plant matter is possibly being converted or cyclized to thc?