• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

CBD and Zoloft

Quinine121

Bluelighter
I?m already taking sertaline 50mg ED

I take a heavy dose of codine / dihydrocodine as well ED and have done for years

I?ve just started CBD as it is supposed to help with anxiety etc

But I?m getting conflicting reports of it (CBD) inhibiting the liver enzyme and can potentially cause serotonin syndrome when used with Zoloft

Some people say even THC based real weed is fine and such with setraline others that cbd and Zoloft should not be combined

Thoughts ?

I was on Zoloft September, 2017. It caused cyclical vomiting/diarhhea in ~ 1 week. It just felt like poison and kept getting worse. Ended up in the emergency room. SSRI's such as Paxil and Venlafaxine also caused Gi issues. Quite frankly I think it's shit as an anti anxiety agent.

Tom

Last edited:
Talk to a doctor or medical professional about this. Be honest about how you want to use CBD and about any drugs you use, your health/mental health issues, and your medical history.

All cannabis has CBD, it does not matter if it is a Sativa, Indica, or hybrid.

That's an extremely rare side effect Thomas Davie. You must have something else wrong if you had that happen.

@PriestTheyCalledHim - I've got kidney failure, but.....extreme sensitivity to drugs has gone back years. I'm on the lowest possible doses on a number of meds. That's good though cause it cuts back on the side effects.

I only started building up a tolerance to tranquilizers though after several years; that was because of recreational abuse.

It's odd you mention that. A couple of my doctors said the same thing :)

Tom

I don't know about it causing serotonin syndrome, but if the 2 drugs are both metabolized in the liver by the same enzyme then it'd be theoretically possible to increase the potency of one by taking enough of the other to cause competition for the enzyme. So, assuming CBD is metabolized by the same enzyme, if you were to take enough CBD to reduce the available amount of said enzyme you would increase your sensitivity to Zoloft by decreasing your body's ability to metabolize it.

To get a definitive answer you should probably consult a knowledgeable pharmacist. In short, the answer is Yes, it is possible.

EDIT: there is some evidence to suggest that this assumption may be true, but I am not knowledgeable enough to say for certain. The way in which CBD interacts with the enzyme cytochrome p450 may be a mechanism of concern in this case, as it appears that sertraline(zololoft) is, at least in part, broken down by the same p450 enzymatic system.

Characterization of cannabidiol-mediated cytochrome P450 inactivation.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8466552

Sertraline is metabolized by multiple cytochrome P450 enzymes, monoamine oxidases, and glucuronyl transferases in human: an in vitro study.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15547048

/does-cbd-react-adversely-with-medication/

Last edited: