Caught with 200 hits of LSD

rivered1

Bluelighter
A friend of mine who is 18 years old was recently caught in the state of Maryland with 2 sheets (200 hits) of LSD which were used for distribution purposes. On top of that he got caught because he was recieving the sheets thru the mail, DEA agents came for him at his work and took him back to his house where 20 local cops and a handful of other agents were waiting for him. My question is what kind of penalties/sentence is he looking at? An educated estimate will do just so I have so idea on how fucked my buddy is.

Think I read somewhere mandatory minimum sentence is 5 years prison for 1 hit. But I heard that while watching a Grateful Dead dvd on mescaline.

^^thats exaggerated, you don't get 5 years for a single hit, you get 5 years for 1-9grams of acid, which would be hundreds of hits, which is probably what your friend is looking at.

http://www.usdoj.gov/dea/agency/penalties.htm

that's assuming he's being charged federally, I don'tk now maryland's laws if he's being charged by the state

Well if the DEA is involved he's probably looking at a federal indictment. Do you know his charges? If you are asking us what we think he will be charged with... personally I think he'll get conspiracy to traffic a schedule I drug, using mail in commission of a felony, and probably some internet crimes for ordering the LSD. First offense? Is he on bail? Is he in school? Does he have family?

Rivered1- this is gtard from the other forum ;)

tl2t- Actually, 200 hits, assuming 100 micrograms per hit, is only 20 milligrams. So it doesn't even come close to the threshold for trafficking. Each hit would have to be 5 milligrams for it to hit the threshold for trafficking, and that is a ridiculously large hit of acid.

^^^ The problem is that the feds include the weight of the paper in the calculation. Depending on what kind of blotter paper he's using, it could easily be above 1 gm.

It's very difficult to tell you what the sentence will be. Federal sentencing guidelines depend on numerous factors that we don't know here. Will he cooperate, go to trial, snitch, what's his record, etc. etc.

It's also possible that the feds kicked him down to a state prosecutor, in which case it'd be state law that sets the sentence.

Thats fishy that they picked that out of the mail...

What kind of charges did he rack up... as long as he can get away with poss. charges and doesnt get screwed because of the mail (federal) he probably wont do anytime.

I have had friends pop'd for conspiracy to manufacture and distribute lsd, wack ass charges. Happened in New Orleans, raided his house didnt find shit (except some materials that led them to ram-rod him for manufacture) but he got shafted, the LEO hoping for a quick flip on his connects. HA these people dont squeell. He ended up doing a 2-3 year bit. This was many years ago when the lsd was flowing freely

mahan atma- Ahh... yeah, that could go over 1 gram easily.

So if somebody got caught with like 10 sugar cubes, they would count the weight of the sugar? What about liquid, do they count the weight of the bottle? I got in trouble with 1 sugar cube, and I don't remember them counting the weight cause that was easily a gram.

platinum907 said:
So if somebody got caught with like 10 sugar cubes, they would count the weight of the sugar?

Yes.

platinum907 said:
What about liquid, do they count the weight of the bottle?

No. I think the language of the federal statute is that you take the weight of a "mixture" containing the drug. Courts have said that includes paper and things the liquid is mixed into, basically.

platinum907 said:
I got in trouble with 1 sugar cube, and I don't remember them counting the weight cause that was easily a gram.

I'm guessing it was state law enforcement, not federal, right?

I would assume someone would get in a hell of alot more trouble if they had a half ounce of pure crystal LSD as opposed to someone with a couple sheets weighing an ounce or more. That is reasonable, correct?

platinum907 said:
I would assume someone would get in a hell of alot more trouble if they had a half ounce of pure crystal LSD as opposed to someone with a couple sheets weighing an ounce or more.

Nope, not according to the federal statute. However, the statute provides for a given range of sentences (e.g. 10-20 years), and it is possible that the judge could take that into account in deciding where to set the sentence within that range.

platinum907 said:
That is reasonable, correct?

Never assume the law is reasonable!

I would assume someone would get in a hell of alot more trouble if they had a half ounce of pure crystal LSD as opposed to someone with a couple sheets weighing an ounce or more. That is reasonable, correct?

Reasonable, certainly. But since when has reasonableness meant two shits to the law?

In illinois I believe they break down the charges into weight OR individual dosage units

Lsd: Delivery

less than 5 grams OR less than 10 units - class 2 felony (3-7)

5 to under 15 grams OR 10 to under 15 units - class 1 (4-15)

15 to under 100 grams or 15 to under 200 units - class x (6-30)

and on and on

Lsd: Possesion

Less than 15 grams or less than 15 units - class 4 (1-3)

15 to under 100 grams or 15 to under 200 units - class 1 (4-15)

100 to under 400 grams or 200 to under 600 units - im tired of typing