• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Catharsis: An attempt at percieving life

nuhsoaverage

Greenlighter
I took a break from psychedelics, after my last trip on 5 8ths of shrooms, since five years. The trip was so intense that I gave into the hallucinations, and lost control over my reality during the trip. Perhaps, even an schizophrenic episode, who knows? Without going into much detail, I will lay out my trip briefly, to help put my thoughts forward.

The trip started with I seeing a black hole, and I trying my best from sinking into its core, which was pulling me inside in with immense force. At that moment, I thought to myself, which was better: to keep hanging around the fringes or actually give up the struggle and just sink within the hole. I distinctly remember, it felt like something broke inside my mind, and my logic got twisted. I started hearing bells, and felt like cosmos was trying to tell me something. I felt almost, as if I can render the earth asunder divide with just a point of a finger. I had two of my friends around, who found me in my bed tripping hard, who I thought were angels, sent to tell me something important about myself, which I refused to let them tell me. Plus, I felt like I could hear the thoughts in my friends' minds. Of course, this was all going on in my mind, but the intensity of hallucinations made it seem like that was the reality. Then I saw myself as God, and felt immense power, but at the same time intense loneliness. Then I saw myself as Adam ascended into the stars, and then at the temple of Solomon, fighting a Djinn, and then finally I met a man, who in reality was my friend, but during my trip seemed like a mystical figure who took me through what was apparently my life, and while I met this man, the eyes of this mystical guy turned green and the background seemed to have gotten covered with green vines. Lastly, when I was coming down from the trip, I saw money=God, which I had written on my whiteboard, which led me to the realization that physically people believe they act in accordance with God's will, when actually, everyone's actions were derived according to the monetary value of people and things around us.

A couple more details to add, but my trip happened in a religious context of Islam. I had an Islamic upbringing, with my family being very much abiding muslims, while I subscribe to my own set of believes, derived solely from my experiences. So, the ringing in my years, seemed parallel to Mohammad's supposed ringing when he had revelations, and while, I was tripping high as Adam, all names of Allah displayed across the stars, as I was ascended to the heavens. The experience shattered me. I was left being suicidal for a few days, experiencing myself first hand, only which I had heard or read, left me wondering. Plus, as a rational being, I knew that the entire ordeal was mushrooms, but the reality of things, left me with some questions, I have been trying to get my way out of. I was somewhere in the Midwest US, when I went through that crazy trip. And, it had been two years, since I had committed to searching beyond Islam on the premise: I will look for truth, so if Islam is the truth, then I will be led to Islam. However, my search has never been easy or conclusive, nor my questions any less.

As I mentioned, I did not consider myself muslim at the time of trip nor do I still consider myself muslim. If anything I consider myself a human, on a self-discovery, with the widest usage of the word muslim, which is anyone who believes in the One. However, the trip brought forward an existential problem, which I have been personally struggling with, especially since I had a strong leaning for linguistics, linguistic philosophy, semantics and the whole language, symbols, noise she-bang. As a seasoned, or at least I considered one before the last experience, shroom tripper, I have had some wild trips while nobody around me even noticed. I just learned to mimick what responses people expected out of me or what actions, as a "normal" person. However, the last time, the trip was so strong, that I lost my grip on reality. So, supposedly, if I had gone through that experience, without other people noticing around me, as I mimick to my best ability, nobody would even care trying what was happening inside of me, a shift of gigantic proportions according to my view, or nobody would notice the difference on my inside, even though we were all humans, and we are supposed to have this amazing thing called heart to reach out to other people. The problem created a divide between how I understood things, which include language, symbols, noise, any medium to convey meaning, to how those things were transferred to or perceived by other people. I noticed that I was stuck inside of my head, with the only means to communicate as language. Without language, I could not convey anything, let alone feelings. And, language on top of that is not the best medium to convey how we feel, think or understand. We usually play with approximations--at least that is how I felt. I would like to go into more detail on how words, noises or symbols we use for language derive different set of meanings based on individual experiences, but I guess that is for another thread. However, i felt like I will never be understood. With the most imperfect of tools like language being the only method, it mad me sad, and feel existential angst. The inability to ever completely share myself with anyone else, even a single soul, has made me sad.

Nevertheless, this problem has also given rise to me understanding life better. For instance, I have found that as I spend more times and experiences with someone else, I tend to share better meaning or understanding with him or her. Plus, my first reactions are what I have ingrained in my behavior rather than what I would think as appropriate. Also, I found that certain phrases or things develop or form different meaning, as I experience more life. It is not only restricted to the understanding I want to convey, it also works vice versa, where I can never be sure about what words mean or want to convey unless shown in the physical realm. For example, I am happy is a statement I cannot check whether a person is really happy or not. However, this is a cube, while pointing to a picture of a cube, gives me a more accurate picture. So, all the knowledge in the world renders itself useless, unless I practice or experience some part of it.

Another problem, I encountered was that the tripping reality, seemed and felt just like this reality. What if I wake up from this reality and find out a different set of axioms, which I was living to start with? Just because that reality was short lived and on chemicals, mean it is any less or inferior to this reality. I mean could the values of short life and being on chemical be just as meaningless or meaningful like any other value, unless I decide on it as good or bad based on my experiences. Ever since, I have been obsessed with the truth. What is the truth of this life? What is the absolute truth? What is the truth? I mean, it is a whole debate on what truth can be, but why cannot there be a truth, which allays all discussions, debates and reasons. One such truth has to exist, otherwise, we are doomed to chaos, I think. I like to believe there is an ultimate indivisible truth. I have no proof for it, but I like to believe it because that would mean that I may be connected to people around me, especially the loved ones, and that even if the language is not enough, then perhaps at some spiritual level my understanding or meaning as I see and want to convey, gets transferred if I try hard enough. If we have fragmented truths, then how will we ever jump towards the other person to even begin to understand, and where to jump from exactly to being with?

Lastly, I believe, the religious aspect of the trip was interesting. I did not consider myself Muslim, at the time of the trip, but the vivid imagery was astounding, especially since Islamic religious texts do not have any imagery since pictures or anything man made with eyes is considered a blasphemy. I remain in awe at how powerful the brain can be at developing such profound set of experiences, and how big of a role my upbringing has on my life, that even I perhaps have yet to realize it. I searched for a man in green mystic figure, and it apparently came as a mystic soul or saint in Islamic Mysticism, named as Al-Khizr, literally meaning the green one. I had not known about the attribute to Khizr, although I had come across him in Koranic story with Moses. However, it is possible that I had come across it, and remembered it subconsciously. Even then, it never seizes to amaze me, at how detailed my mind made the trip out to be.

The trip changed one distinct part of me. I have learned to give alternate views an honest chance from my point of view, and try to convince myself of it, with my existing prejudices.

Thank you for reading. Please, share your thoughts.

Last edited:
Please format into a readable post.. wall of text is painful :)

Thank you SS, I have edited the post into paragraphs, which does not happen through torr browser apparently. I apologize for any inconvenience.

welcome to BL nuhsoaverage

Thanks for sharing. Your quote here particularly interested me

I like to believe there is an ultimate indivisible truth. I have no proof for it, but I like to believe it because that would mean that I may be connected to people around me, especially the loved ones, and that even if the language is not enough, then perhaps at some spiritual level my understanding or meaning as I see and want to convey, gets transferred if I try hard enough.

I too believe in truth, though I don't believe I have it. The language I now use to describe it is that until we have truth or knowledge we have perception. Perception can be corrected and become closer to truth, but it still remains illusory in nature until the flame of truth is lit.

All major religions are just stories told around a common experience we are all having in my eyes, so I hope the following quotes from "The Course in Miracles" on this topic can give you a perspective on it that I highly value.

Perception rests on choosing; knowledge does not. Knowledge has but one law because it has but one Creator. But this world has two who made it, and they do not see it as the same. To each it has a different purpose, and to each it is a perfect means to serve the goal for which it is perceived. For specialness, it is the perfect frame to set it off; the perfect battleground to wage its wars, the perfect shelter for illusions which it would make real. Not one but it upholds in its perception; not one but can be fully justified.

To this the Holy Spirit leads you [towards knowledge], that your joy may be complete because the Kingdom of God is whole. I have said that the last step in the reawakening of knowledge is taken by God. This is true, but it is hard to explain in words because words are symbols, and nothing that is true need be explained. However, the Holy Spirit has the task of translating the useless into the useful, the meaningless into the meaningful, and the temporary into the timeless.

Knowledge is not the motivation for learning this course. Peace is. This is the prerequisite for knowledge only because those who are in conflict are not peaceful, and peace is the condition of knowledge because it is the condition of the Kingdom.

See you around

The problem created a divide between how I understood things, which include language, symbols, noise, any medium to convey meaning, to how those things were transferred to or perceived by other people. I noticed that I was stuck inside of my head, with the only means to communicate as language. Without language, I could not convey anything, let alone feelings. And, language on top of that is not the best medium to convey how we feel, think or understand. We usually play with approximations--at least that is how I felt. I would like to go into more detail on how words, noises or symbols we use for language derive different set of meanings based on individual experiences, but I guess that is for another thread. However, i felt like I will never be understood. With the most imperfect of tools like language being the only method, it mad me sad, and feel existential angst. The inability to ever completely share myself with anyone else, even a single soul, has made me sad.

Language is a very limited palette of communication, even in ordinary day matters. But to communicate profound realizations or insights it becomes even more limited. Trying to communicate an experience of cosmic consciousness for example, to a person who is purely an instinctive individual who lives for sex, drugs and rock and roll, is a futile exercise. There's only two ways around that as far as I can see. One is for the other person to have 'been there' or had the same realization, then language doesn't even need to be fanciful.. you just know that you've both experienced the same thing. The other method is direct communication where two people bring their minds into direct connection with each other; there is a method for doing this, as it is a tool for transmitting understanding to another who is seeking spiritual understanding.

I know that feeling of sadness and inability to relate at the deep level. For me I hold the belief that whilst we may have individual sparks or souls at a deep level, that at the deepest level they all emanate from one source. Atman and the Brahman.

Ever since, I have been obsessed with the truth. What is the truth of this life? What is the absolute truth? What is the truth? I mean, it is a whole debate on what truth can be, but why cannot there be a truth, which allays all discussions, debates and reasons. One such truth has to exist, otherwise, we are doomed to chaos, I think. I like to believe there is an ultimate indivisible truth. I have no proof for it, but I like to believe it because that would mean that I may be connected to people around me, especially the loved ones, and that even if the language is not enough, then perhaps at some spiritual level my understanding or meaning as I see and want to convey, gets transferred if I try hard enough. If we have fragmented truths, then how will we ever jump towards the other person to even begin to understand, and where to jump from exactly to being with?

I believe there is an absolute Truth. It is something that can't be perceived or reasoned towards, it's something you have to experience directly by becoming. You become God, for a moment. If I'm not mistaken I think Islam has the concept of the Absolute somewhere in the religion. I don't know much about the mystical side of Islam. I've found resonance with Advaita Vedenta, Non-Dualism, and material recorded on the Indian sage Ramana Maharshi to be valuable in trying to understand how a person can reach for that experience themselves.

Reply to SS

Thank you for your insight SS. You are right. Islam does have a concept of absolute oneness, or/and non-dualism. In fact, mystical Islam is replete with it. Mevlana Rumi being one of the better known examples to purport and spread non-dualism. I am glad we can relate on not being able to share our deeper selves. However, I would have to agree that when two people have been through the same experience they just know. Truth does not need to be explained, it just is, which is beautiful. You are right, truth can be known through becoming. It is a profound thought. I am not aware of the other direct communication method that you have mentioned. I would be glad if you can share what that can be. I subscribe to your view of all emanating from one. I just wish there was a scientific method to show the same too. I know I can feel it, sense it but cannot check it. It is hard to do the critique of the language with language itself, becomes circular and slipper-slope.

You have raised an important point Levelsbeyond. The difference between perception and knowledge is an obvious one, yet difficult to differentiate. Looking from my point of view, I started with perception. And, my perception has changed largely over time. However, I have yet to figure out knowledge. I guess, I will keep on looking. Thank you for sharing the quotes from a course in miracles. It makes an important point of having peace. I believe peace and absolute satisfaction are the same thing. If one attains peace, then it can be assumed that he or she has attained knowledge too. I wonder, if knowledge is same as non-dualism for you. I would think so, myself.

I am not aware of the other direct communication method that you have mentioned. I would be glad if you can share what that can be.

It's not something I know the exact mechanics of, and you will be hard pressed to find it in any literature, but essentially this method can be used to bring two minds into direct contact with each other. All I know at this point is that it requires a degree of harmonization between the two parties first, which involves sitting together in each others presence, in silence for a period of time until you begin to find a resonance. It may require more than one sitting, and the persons should be at a similar level of development. After that there can be a transmission of experience from one to the other. That's all I know at this point.

I think "being on the same wavelength" is an experience many people have had, where you know what the other is going to say, is feeling, or such. This is pretty similar to direct mind connection.

I was out walking earlier and thinking there is a piece of music you may find good to contemplate on. Don't know what your music taste is so you may not like it, but for me I feel is captures the essence of what you're feeling and this whole topic you started. It's my favourite piece of music at this point in my life. Echoes, by Pink Floyd. :)

I wonder, if knowledge is same as non-dualism for you. I would think so, myself.

yeah, that's my understanding of it. The Course in Miracles never uses the word duality it uses separation, the remedy to which is one-mindedness. Different words, but they mean essentially the same thing.

not in the habit of dropping verse, but when it comes to the truly big questions I'd rather default to someone elses wisdom. Again I'm quoting the "Course in Miracles" with a little more detail as to the stages that happen when perception is healed in the mind. There are some wonderful masters from Sufism that give similar answers using different words. Hope this helps with rmikhail's question as well.

Salvation is nothing more than "right-mindedness," which is not the onemindedness
of the Holy Spirit, but which must be achieved before onemindedness
is restored. Right-mindedness leads to the next step
automatically, because right perception is uniformly without attack, and
therefore wrong-mindedness is obliterated. The ego cannot survive without
judgment, and is laid aside accordingly. The mind then has only one
direction in which it can move. Its direction is always automatic, because it
cannot but be dictated by the thought system to which it adheres.

It cannot be emphasized too often that correcting perception is merely a
temporary expedient. It is necessary only because misperception is a block
to knowledge, while accurate perception is a steppingstone towards it. The
whole value of right perception lies in the inevitable realization that all
perception is unnecessary. This removes the block entirely. You may ask
how this is possible as long as you appear to be living in this world. That is
a reasonable question. You must be careful, however, that you really
understand it. Who is the "you" who are living in this world? Spirit is
immortal, and immortality is a constant state. It is as true now as it ever was
or ever will be, because it implies no change at all. It is not a continuum,
nor is it understood by being compared to an opposite. Knowledge never
involves comparisons. That is its main difference from everything else the