• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Catalytic cookwear

(zonk)

Bluelighter
Since chemistry forums pretty much no longer exist for whatever stupid reasons I feel in the interest of harm reduction it should be taken upon here so people don't try some hairbrained halfwitted heregoesnothing attempts at a "most likely" scenario and but end up poisoning themselves and\or others somehow, and with being stated...

I'd like to know about the using certain alloys as cookwear to facilitate their respective catalytic reactions instead of oxide powders or am I missing something?

In particular, I was thinking of using molten PBS: (poly)butylene succinate with either copper chromite or raney nickle or some combo to hopefully monomerize the bdo and succinic acid by heat then catalyze the hydrogen to form gbl and succinic anhydride while hopefully also some of the anhydride along with the catalyst and then hopefully the dicarboxylate reabsorbs/replaces/rearranges the liberated hydrogen to form more gbl. This hopefully will eliminate the need to use other methods that incorporate water to make gbl which can be very laborious wasteful and time consuming to separate.

The vespiary

Science madness

Hyperreal (just use google translate english - russian - english

I'd like to know about the using certain alloys as cookwear to facilitate their respective catalytic reactions instead of oxide powders or am I missing something?
powdered catalysts have orders of magnitude more surface area (reactions only occur on the surface of solid catalysts) than solid cookware

I was thinking of using molten PBS: (poly)butylene succinate
yikes

with either copper chromite or raney nickle or some combo to hopefully monomerize the bdo and succinic acid by heat
the only way you'd get BDO and succinic acid out would be via hydrolysis. Heat would likely cause elimination reactions and yield butadiene and succinic acid instead

Also raney nickel is pyrophoric when not stored wet with water. So adding Raney nickel to a bunch of molten plastic at several hundred degrees C will probably result in a flaming pot of plastic with metal sparks.

A better option for small scale GHB production is probably via hypochlorite oxidation of tetrahydrofuran.