View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Carb cravings after a shroom trip

Espiritus

Bluelighter
I had an amazing 3g shroom trip this past weekend and starting the next day I started having persistent cravings for pizza and sweets. Is this a brain chemistry problem? I'm guessing it could be mild serotonin depletion, but psilocin isn't supposed to deplete serotonin like E does?

I seem to recall reading somewhere that the brain's demand for sugar increases significantly while tripping, so it stands to reason that one might experience those cravings as a result.

Last edited:
Above post makes sense.

Also, a trip is generally very "up/out" there. Meaning more connected to cosmos than earth.
Carbs/fatty foods are very earthy and grounding.

Ayurveda tells us we need balance in our lives,so your body is doing it's evolutionary thing. Nothing to worry about ! Maybe try to opt for vegetable oils and fruits for health purposes,ifym you're into that ;).

Also yoga can help grounding !

Most people don't eat much before or during tripping, which will obviously throw off your blood-sugar levels. I get the same cravings. I'll come down from a good trip resolved to be healthy and eat fruits and veggies and vitamin-packed goodies but my brain yells NO! PIZZA! 8)

I initially read this as, "Crab cravings after a shroom trip"

Lol me too!! Im glad Im not the only one =D

For OP, don't worry, it's completely normal. You just went (insert length of the trip) hours without eating, your brain has been working crazy overtime and your body has been trying to fight what it perceived as a poison. That shit uses up a lot of energy!

Serotonin system regulates apetite...or you are craving the dopamine release from fatty or carb rich foods since you were high on shrooms and probably experienced some dopamine downstream reward from shrooms

I read this as "crab craving after a shroom trip" =D

...And I was like, makes sense, crab is tasty.

Even knowing what the thread is about I still read "crab cravings" every time I scroll past this thread. So thanks, I guess, to the OP for a daily chuckle. :\

If OP started having the cravings the morning after the trip, I wonder if downregulation of 5HT2C had anything to do with it. Agonists of 5HT2A - the main receptor responsible for psychedelic activity - almost always have some affinity for 5HT2C, a receptor whose activation produces significant anorectic effects, so it seems plausible that the next-day rebound would give you the munchies.