• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Car share USA?

Changed

Bluelight Crew
I've convinced my girlfriend to move to the West coast of the USA with me once she's finished her Masters degree in nursing; right now we want to do a little tour of the Coast to decide on a location to live (Portland is my personal favorite choice). We'll be camping and couch-surfing our way down Highway 101. Anyway, the point is: are there are sort of car-share/one-way driving services that we could use to take a car from Vancouver/Seattle/PDX to Los Angeles? Or are we shit out of luck and have to resort to renting a vehicle?

It sounds ridiculous, but so does couch-surfing, so I figured I'd ask whether such a thing exists? Renting a vehicle is going to be pricey...

I'm not 100% sure what you mean by "car-sharing/one-way driving service."

Craigslist ride-share hasn't failed me yet, but i'm usually the one offering a ride. I meet lots of cool people though, and i don't see how it would be much different being on the other end, as there are always people going up and down the 101.

Especially if you're planning on doing couch surfing, i think ride share would suite you perfectly. And honestly there are people hitching/traveling up and the 101 anyways. Everything north of SF, it seems almost standard.

Portland is seriously your favorite city, Changed? I'm in Portland at present.

I am extremely wary of couchsurfers. I have had excellent ridesharing experiences but not so great experiences with couchsurfers. Probably my most negative experience with a couchsurfer is someone who wanted to come live with me, borrow my car, and basically encroach upon my life. I wasn't OK with that and I read that person the riot act. Not sure and don't care where they are now.

How did you meet this girlfriend, if I may ask?

"Resorting" to rent a vehicle isn't a bad thing. If you want to drive from Vancouver, BC to anywhere in California, you'd be spending a fortune if you were to use a car sharing service. You can get a flat rate with full coverage and unlimited mileage, pick up the rental at one airport and drive it to another.

Are you the one footing the entire bill for this prospective endeavor? If so, and if you are insistent on driving - yep, rent a car.