Car searched by police - Took Prescribed Suboxone

JimLovesOxies

Bluelighter
Mods, feel free to move this accordingly, I wasn't quite sure where to post a plea for advice/help.

Anyway, long story short, I got pulled yesterday, they searched the vehicle and took an empty container that had crystals and a few hairs from bud stuck to the sides. I got charged with paraphernalia. They took my wallet and Suboxone, which I have every legal right to possess. The suboxone was my prescription. Now they said that they left the pills in my car, but yet that have my wallet at the station, they forgot to give it to me before I left the station. I called every department aswell as the arresting officer inquiring about my Rx and they said they only have my wallet, not the pills. I know they fucking took my shit. But what do I do? Thanks in advance,

I also emptied my vehicle. still didn't find them.

Oh man, if they took your boxen that's fucked up! Not to mention, illegal on there part.

Realistically, call your doctor, tell him the situation. He or she may write a new scrip for a different dosage to skirt the state law of not being able to fill the scrip within a 30 day time frame. Dr.'s can and know how to do it.

I'm referring to NY law by the way. I'm not sure about NC. In NY, your doc can write two scrips in a month but, the pharmacy won't fill it because a scrip for suboxone cannot be filled twice in a month, there is a 30 day(really 25) waiting period before it can be refilled. Bullshit IMO. It's happened to me numerous times. I ran out early one month, 20 days later my doc re wrote another scrip, I went to go fill it and the pharmacy refused. They said I had another 5 days before I could "legally" get the scrip filled........

So, I'm not one to suffer so I went back out on the street to score smack. I'm not gonna put myself through withdrawl because of bureaucratic red tape.....

Speak with your doctor, then file a formal complaint. What that officer did was not right, and possibly illegal.

Speak with your doctor, then file a formal complaint. What that officer did was not right, and possibly illegal.

Definitely illegal.....I'd find his superior and suggest politely that the officer who (probably) stole your meds take a drug test.:D

He has illegally seized an Rx that is completely legitimate. If you can prove this and file charges you can hang his badge on your wall along with other civil and possible criminal charges if you were so inclined.....

I think this cop(and others) have "integrity" issues, even though it is one of there guiding principles....

Last edited:
Thank ya'll for the help, I have called my doctor, I'm currently waiting on a call back. I've spoken to the lieutenant and he said that the arresting officer said that the prescription bottle was left in the vehicle, which it clearly isn't(my mother and I tore the vehicle apart this morning looking)

Funny thing is, the only two things I watched the cops play with were my wallet, which I just got back from the detective, and my Suboxone. I'm almost positive they took it.

I wouldn't be so worried if I had money to go get something else, just to minimally use to keep withdrawals at bay, but sadly, thats not an option. My parents(god bless them) pay for my suboxone. Not to mention they're no longer paying for anything since this has happened.

thanks again everyone for your help, it really means a lot, these past 24 hours have been hellacious, my last dose was yesterday morning. you know what'll be coming soon.

Ah, and the formal complaint, when I called the police station they gave me the run-around, being on hold forever to various departments, trying to find my medication, all I got was ''We do not have your prescription, blah blah blah''.

Filing a complaint isn't going to do a damn thing, its us against them. You know who wins most of the time. My vehicle also had items of worth, a PSP, expensive sunglasses, nice headphones, 3 skateboards, a radar detector n other stuff, n guess what? It's all still there, exactly as I placed them.

And they wonder why people kill cops.

Im going to bounce this on over to legal.
Mods, if you do not feel that this was appropriate, my apologies, but please do not send this back to DC.

Im going to bounce this on over to legal.
Mods, if you do not feel that this was appropriate, my apologies, but please do not send this back to DC.

why wouldn't it be appropriate thizz ? ;)

where else would this go ? :D

Man, Jim check your pm's asap, since you live so close to me, I have some very useful information for you.

What a lot of people don't know, is that although having a valid prescription allows them to have possession of the drug, if you don't have the script with you, and the pills in the bottle, they can sieze them.

Now this sets you up for two scenarios. The first, getting charged with possession, however, this is likely to get dropped if you did in fact have a valid script, and just took a few pills with you, instead of the whole bottle.

The second scenario is where the cops steal your shit. Unfortunately, you're in a bad situation. It's going to be your word against a cops, and the cops are going to say that you're lying, and your doctor might not even believe you. It's going to be tough to argue why you didn't just take the bottle with you. It's shitty, but it's a bad situation.

I would still file complaints, however, they've already got you tagged as a "druggie". The seizing of the pills won't get your other charges helped, although you can certainly be a pain in the ass of the police, if you choose, there might not be any tangible benefits, so I wouldn't get your hopes up.

^what? how can u have the script and the bottle. The script stays with the pharmacist. I dunno how things are done around where u r but here we give the script to the pharmacy and get a bottle. What exactly do u suggest then? Have a copy of the original script cuz w/o giving away ur script u can't get the meds. I'm confused.

I had a friend in the same situation and all he had to do was to bring his prescription bottle to the police station to get his bupe back.

I had the bottle with me, they were clearly labeled with my name, the prescribing doctor and what it was, ect. There is nothing I can do now, I've spoken with my doctor and he asked that I file a report about the missing medication, then he will be able to re-issue my access to the medication. I'm already in day 2 of bupe withdrawal, its not too bad, but it definitely isn't fun.

thanks again everyone for your advice. It is comforting in a very uncomfortable time.