• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Can't work out if I have an addiction or not. Please advise!

killah123

Greenlighter
Hi All

Im new to this site, but I have read lots on here before i registered, looking for opinions and advice.

I have bed arthritis in my knees and hips and have done for many years, to help with the pain I am prescribed 100 tramamdol, 50 codeine phospate and 12 diazepam a month. I have had this prescription for 4 years now, I never increase or decrease it. I tend to run out about 10 days before my prescription renewal time, and the first few days are a little uncomfortable but not unbearable, but I never feel the need to top up through other outside sources, and I like to take the break just to clear my system and lower the tolerance a little

I do look forward to my prescription day each month though, because as well as a great help with the pain, it is also an enjoyable buzz too (certainly takes away the angst of having the arthritis!)

What I am worried about is becoming addicted/dependent, or whether I am already. I never take more that the maximum daily amount, as I suffer quite bad anxiety and the fear of OD'ing generally makes me think twice!

It would be nice to have an outsiders opinion on whether I should be concerned now and perhaps taper off before I may possibly become addicted.

Thanks for any help you guys can give! :)

I don't think you have anything to worry about.

There's an important distinction between dependence and abuse. Dependence is natural and nothing to worry about--you can start to feel the beginning stages of it when you get a little uncomfortable the first few days without your medications. You are not addicted though because you have no problem sitting through this and receiving your new prescriptions on the proper day.

An analogy might be, a diabetic is dependent on insulin, while an alcoholic is addicted to alcohol. The difference being that in dependence, it's a natural reaction to a product which you need (possibly to stay alive or possibly to stay functional---needing it to stay alive is not required).

Hope that all makes sense! It should also help ease your concern to know you take generally low potency medications, so the concern for addiction is also quite low. As long as you keep your dosage the same, there's really nothing to worry about. You have arthritis, you deserve relief.

One thing I will say though---have you considered cannabis? I know people who have had incredible reductions in pain and stiffness using cannabis. (both THC and CBD, but with arthritis you would actually see benefits even with non-psychoactive products)

Hi

Thanks for the response :)

Its always a worry as I hear a lot of horror stories about opiates and their counterparts, and I really have no idea about whether the doses I take are large or not but its not unusual for me to take the maximum 450mg for days in a row on bad pain days.

I used to smoke a long time ago, but I found that it really exacerbates my anxiety, and the last time I had some with tramadol I utterly freaked out and had a huge panic attack so I try to avoid it now, though I am aware that it has great painkilling properties.