• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Can't sleep at night after using heroin

Boku_

Bluelighter
Don't get me wrong i love the warm feeling and relaxed high you get after chasing the dragon or snorting .2 of China white heroin but i could never use 3-4 days in a row, Why?? for the life of me i can't get a proper nights rest.

For example i can use at 3pm and not be able to fall asleep till 8am the following day. Once asleep i can have a very deep sleep and i won't want to get out of bed till 5pm in the evening. I feel down right exhausted and groggy as fuck the day after using. I get a hang over far worse than when i get drunk on alcohol

I'm not physically addicted to heroin and i know not to take sleeping pills or benzo's when using heroin but my question is if i was to increase how often i used heroin and then went on methadone would my insomnia get better or worse.

Is there something wrong with my brain that makes heroin feel like a Upper not a downer?

I even get scabs on my nose from rubbing it too much when high on heroin. But when i use meth i don't get scabs on my nose. go figure

Have you tried taking an antihistamine with the heroin?
While afaik there aren't much/any studies about a connection between histamine release due to opioids and insomnia it might be worth giving it a shot.

^Just make sure they are non drowsy antihistamines, something like diphenhydramine is going to make you even more groggy the next day.

While there are a lot of potential solutions to this issue, some of them glaringly obvious, I'd like to make recommendations that don't necessarily advise combining your Opiate with other CNS depressants. As others have said, I think that a good place to start would be an OTC sleep aid. These are numerous and vary in effectiveness from person to person, but here we go!

Sedating Antihistamines: Diphenhydramine (Benadryl), Doxylamine (Unisom), Promethazine (Phenergan) and Hydroxyzine (Vistaril) are going to be the most commonly encountered, however, the former 2 are prescription-only in the United States and probably Canada.

Melatonin: A pharmaceutical drug that mimics a natural hormone in the body that helps regulate the Circadian Rhythm. Important to note that this is not truly a sedative, it just help initiate a normal sleep cycle. This is OTC in the United States and Canada, but as of late, a prescription-only drug in the UK and a lot of Europe.

Valerian: Herbal supplement that some find useful as an axiolytic, mild sedative and sleep aid. Over the counter everywhere as far as I know.

Cannabis: Pretty self-explanatory. Just like Heroin though, it might actually keep some users in a state of semi-wakefulness

These are a few that I might try starting with. If this is all old information, let us know and we can maybe explore other options?

keep some users in a state of semi-wakefulness

"semi-wakefulness" that describes perfectly how i feel when i'm laying in bed at 7:30am exactly 16 hours after using heroin and i am neither awake nor asleep but i am as tired as fuck.

Melatonin is known to lower blood pressure. I’d be careful combining it, too.

Melatonin is known to lower blood pressure. I’d be careful combining it, too.

Very interesting point Anna. I'm embarrassed to admit that I had absolutely no idea that Melatonin can potentially effect blood pressure. Very useful information, although it would seem, that based upon just what I've discussed with peers and researched that Melatonin is well-tolerated by 99% of individuals without serious side-effects, but like I said, I apparently have some shit to learn.

Try some Lyrica about 30 minutes before you go to sleep it will knock your dick in the dirt. I am prescribed both 75mg capsules (1 every morning) and 150mg capsules (2 x per day), its effects are similar to XTC/GHB. It is a unique drug, I find it creates a 'floatiness, relaxing' feeling at higher doses. If you take a dose of 300mg with an opiate, it increases the opiate high by a good 50% at least for me it did. It is a VERY expensive drug, I think that is why a lot of people who don't have insurance coverage can?t afford it. Im entirely convinced it has serious potential to be especially useful for withdrawing from opiates/benzos or as a comedown aid for stimulants. It was prescribed to me for some serious nerve damage (neurotrophy). I have taken it for so long my doctor decided to switch to Gabapentin. Love the Gabapentin and it works great, but now I have nearly 200 pills and I wasted a lot of cash in co-pays.

Codeine used to always relax me but now its more like im on crack I just cant lay down or sit still that extra sedation is gone and I miss it as for you op I think your best bet would be promethazine let it kick in before your hit.