• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Can't get high from stimulants or weed. Is it permanent or a side effect?

NewOlllie

Greenlighter
Hi all

I take Olanzapine 10mg daily. Since the start of last year I have been unable to get a kick out of stimulants (speed, ecstacy, mdma, ethylphenidate, methylaminopropane or cocaine) and no longer get high from weed. With the stimulants I still get the physical effects but the weed does nothing, absolutely nothing.

I've read in other threads that olanzapine interferes with the receptors that are affected when you take these kind of drugs. Is this common and will it be permanent?

Thanks,
NewOllie

the affect vs. stimulants is more or less to be expected as they cause more or less opposite effects on similar parts of the brain (among many other things and to grossly oversimplify things); the lack of marijuana's efficacy is less naturally explainable but is probably more due to the generally "dulling" psychological effects of neuroleptic drugs, and this will probably stop or at least significantly decrease over time.

if you are being medicated for bipolar disorder than stimulants are an extremely bad idea as they will make a person manic, with or without a mood disorder, eventually, only they will make you more much vulnerable; if you were using them a great deal in the past this was almost certainly a factor in some/many/possibly even all of your manic episodes; stimulant over use is also a confounding factor in the differential diagnosis of mania.

use of marijuana is also a bad idea for anyone with psychiatric issues, although it is quite unlikely to make you manic, some even find the opposite, that it promotes affective stability, at least from manic states, but it's use in depression is a general no-go as it exacerbates many depressive symptoms particularly lack of motivation which in turn, which, whether caused by drugs or not, contributes to the psychological 'negative self-talk' loops that worsen depression ("look, I accomplish nothing, I suck")

the affect vs. stimulants is more or less to be expected as they cause more or less opposite effects on similar parts of the brain (among many other things and to grossly oversimplify things); the lack of marijuana's efficacy is less naturally explainable but is probably more due to the generally "dulling" psychological effects of neuroleptic drugs, and this will probably stop or at least significantly decrease over time.

if you are being medicated for bipolar disorder than stimulants are an extremely bad idea as they will make a person manic, with or without a mood disorder, eventually, only they will make you more much vulnerable; if you were using them a great deal in the past this was almost certainly a factor in some/many/possibly even all of your manic episodes; stimulant over use is also a confounding factor in the differential diagnosis of mania.

use of marijuana is also a bad idea for anyone with psychiatric issues, although it is quite unlikely to make you manic, some even find the opposite, that it promotes affective stability, at least from manic states, but it's use in depression is a general no-go as it exacerbates many depressive symptoms particularly lack of motivation which in turn, which, whether caused by drugs or not, contributes to the psychological 'negative self-talk' loops that worsen depression ("look, I accomplish nothing, I suck")

Cheers for the detailed response.

I rarely took stimulants before I started the medication and was on the tablets for a year before I tried any again. If nothing else, I just miss them.

Weed was a bit more me-friendly. It broke up obsessive bout of mania and made me very ambitious and energetic. I'd get high and work a 20 hour day like it was a holiday (work from home).

One thing I'd say about being bipolar, I've been this was since I was six (or at least that's my earliest coherent memory) it wasn't until my third sectioning before they put me on olanzapine.

All in, I just hope it isn't permanent, a bit of time away from weed might do me the world of good but not 40 - 60 years without.

Unrelated to the drugs: The worst part of olanzapine is that I'm never manic any more, I used to be so passionate about the smallest of things now I feel like there's an empty void where happiness used to be - I miss it so much. Conversely, I'm calm and collected these days and don't tend to bite of more than I can chew as much.

That is the thing about mania, people miss it, a large factor (secondary to side effects) why people go off meds, you seem to be aware that the bad effects outweigh the good, especially if you wound up "sectioned" (= "involuntarily committed," here); sounds like marijuana wasn't taking away your mania but making it feel a little more manageable and contained, but by no means treating it.

That is the thing about mania, people miss it, a large factor (secondary to side effects) why people go off meds, you seem to be aware that the bad effects outweigh the good, especially if you wound up "sectioned" (= "involuntarily committed," here); sounds like marijuana wasn't taking away your mania but making it feel a little more manageable and contained, but by no means treating it.

This post or any of my communications do not constitute professional advice nor do they establish a professional relationship of any kind; by this medium I make no claim to any professional credentials; in person consultation is essential for any medical, psychological, substance-related or harm reduction decisions. While peer support an advice can be helpful, any content posted online, regardless of it's source, cannot, by it's very nature, substitute for an in-person relationship with a clinician who has had the opportunity to take your history in the larger context and provide professional advice with all these factors, and others, taken into account.

Sorry, "sectioned" is colloquial over here, never thought of there being another name for it.

Yeah, I don't think the marijuana solved anything but when I was gripped by a counterproductive obsession it was the only thing that let me breathe.

I'm meeting with the doctor next week to discuss coming off the olanzapine I suspect they'll want to replace it with something else though - hopefully marijuana... Joking aside, I'm nervous changing it in any way.

There are a number of considerably less heavy options in most cases that don't involve psychotic elements in mood phases, some of them better in some situations, and some in others; lamotrigine, lithium, divalproate, quetiapine, various 2nd generation neuroleptics than Zyprexa, etc. So there are many things you can try with your doctor; Zyprexa/olanzapine was probably (see above small text, etc.) started because your symptoms were initially rather severe, it's a not uncommon and from both ends of the equation pretty wise practice to cross-titrate from something heavier to lighter once these initial symptoms have resolved.

Didn't realise there'd be that many options, that's for the input.

I take lamotrigine currently. Initially I was on 200mg for epilepsy but they bumped me up to 300mg stating that it'd behave more like a mood stabiliser.

That changes things and makes the OLZ prescription make more sense. (Also demonstrates why in-person thorough history/consultation is needed vs Internet advice)

LMT at 200mg usually is a reasonably effective mood stabilizer for people with bipolar II and relatively mild bipolar I d/o. It is in some ways the least powerful and best tolerate drug (with the exception of very rare but potentially fatal Steven-Johnson's Syndrome as you've probably been told.) This goes to explain a lot of why you were put on OLZ. LMT+VPA can increase the risk of (rare) side effects, so some people don't like to do it, although it's not unheard of; another option would be carbamazepine, also not the most powerful drug but workable in many cases and favorable as it actually can cause weight loss rather than gain, as most heavy psychotropics can, also of course like anything has side effects but not as many as some others. Also some combinations are better or worse or better- or worse-tolerated in terms of side effects, although the evidence of the former is not all there, but generally something "light" would be paired with something "heavier," although your seizure history would play a role here too.

Many people would proceed from there to either a 2GA (quetiapine or OLZ probably being the most effective) or Lithium, which is falling out of favor with a lot of clinicians as it is high maintenance and is not without it's issues and own side effect burden, seizure history would give pause but is not an absolute contraindication, in the general population though it's still considered the "gold standard" and known to do well with Lamictal, in many cases. This is generally the pattern in psychiatry anyway, "pick one in column 'A' and one in column 'B,' if things get worse, add one from column 'C' or another one of 'A' or 'B' but avoid x and y, etc." going along with what is working and tolerated by the patient.)

not medical advice, etc./see above

Last edited:
I like lithium i was put on it for psychotic depression w. Suicide. I used to ba e trouble talking like i would just stars at the floor and jf you askes me what day it was or who is the president id pause then very slowly answer your question. The only issue i had was tremir which went awy when lowered .

Err sorry my keyboards broken but for me lithium seemed to really help stabilize me without making me feel druged like when they gave me thorazine or zyprexa or seroquel. But i had unipolar depression not bipolar

Something I should've mentioned earlier. I also don't think the olanzapine is having any mental effect, still fat from it though.

I took a fortnight off the olanzapine and didn't experience any withdrawal or notable side effects.

Err sorry my keyboards broken but for me lithium seemed to really help stabilize me without making me feel druged like when they gave me thorazine or zyprexa or seroquel. But i had unipolar depression not bipolar

I'll ask the doctor about lithium next week see what they think. My main concern is that olanzapine has done some permanent damage because a) I don't want to be like this forever. b) I want to get high, god damn it...

Olanzapine will not give permanently cause you to be in the state that it causes your mind to be in (it can have other side effects, but this isn't one.) The effects may not stop instantly, though; more importantly, you may go off it and feel fine, even better than before, and it can take a while before symptoms return, even once the drug is completely washed out and it's effects are totally gone. Wanting to get high, though, at least on uppers in particular, is a very bad idea with your condition.

Marijuana is pretty much a bad idea for all psychiatric conditions, although you are by far not the only bipolar patient to feel that it has a stabilizing influence. Any psychotic issues, though, it is very bad news for; and any potential psychotic issues that have not yet manifested are only going to be put at greater risk by the use of marijuana, especially in the setting of mania.

Stimulants will exacerbate mania and psychosis, sometimes quite severely, although they can short-term alleviate depression, but this is not a possible option in someone with bipolar tendencies as the risk of crossing the line is too great. As to other recreational drugs, the same cautions mentioned for weed apply psychedelics, only more so; downers and alcohol can exacerbate depression and lead to behavioral disinhibition in mania, and overall instability, although they benzodiazepines can also be helpful in the short-term in both, it's a rather fine line; opiates are pretty much a nonfactor; dissociatives are extremely bad for psychotic and manic issues but have increasing clinical evidence in depression, but only in a medically supervised setting, dosed as pure ketamine (or perhaps in future other drugs) according to specific doses and protocols; PCP-like dissociatives, including many or most of the dissociative RC's, also have a stimulant-type (NDRI or even dopamine realising) effect that compounds the manic/psychotic risk even further, and I doubt highly that they have any sort of future in medicine; dissociatives and psychedelics and stimulants are all quite prone to causing mania in a bipolar patient, and carry quite a possibility of doing so for the non-bipolar patient as well, when taken far enough; your threshhold is just much, much closer than an average person's.

Depression has a more complex relationship with recreational drugs; the effects of many of which may be blunted by psychiatric medications (lamotrigine blocks the effects of most dissociative drugs, or rather, modifies them considerably and does away with the more 'psychedelic'-type phenomena), stimulants are ill-advised for your seizure history in addition to your mania history, particularly if you wind up on lithium. So there are risks all around when it comes to getting high. If you insist on doing so (this, after all, being a site oriented towards harm reduction) the essential thing is to "start low/go slow" with doses and to be able to recognize when you are heading into manic territory (not always easy and morever not always easy to let this make you stop as it is an enjoyable ride up to the top quite a decent portion of the time.)

Not medical advice, etc; as above.

Last edited:
My main concern is given the repeated need of hospitalization that stoping the drug will just lead them back to hospital. I don't think it'll cause long term damage. I took olanzapine and I feel amphetamines now just fine. I think your doctor should have plenty of options of drugs you can try to replace olanzapine with so you can stay stable without feeling flat. But until then I'd really suggest you keep taking it because if you want to be the one who gets to call the shots and get the meds you feel help you the last thing you want is a bipolar episode so they can call the shots on what you get.

Don't forget that the fact that you're bipolar implies that the highs and lows of mood that you've felt in the past are probably much more intense than what most people experience (drug highs included).

My main concern is given the repeated need of hospitalization that stoping the drug will just lead them back to hospital.

It will. With a sort of slow inevitability at times. This is a major problem with psychiatric patients and which is why so much of my clientèle, on admission, is already known to me from past admissions. The usual cycle is for the patient to self-discontinue the medication because either (a) side effect burden; (b) various barriers to access from insurance coverage to transportation to having a poor memory to take the medication every day; but of the greatest relevance here (c) taking the medication, then feeling that one is "alright" or even "cured," and then having the idea that the medication is no longer needed. What usually happens is that after taking the medication the patient will feel the same, if not better (due to side effects abating and possibly a bit of rebound mania) but will not have serious symptoms for a totally unknown period of time ranging from days to months. During this time it is very easy to self-deceive into believing that one can go without the medication, but the future episodes lurk in the future and will strike, at uncertain times and circumstances unknowable, sometimes in the future.

I don't think it'll cause long term damage.

In terms of mentation, it will not, i.e. if you feel your mind is cloudy, this will go away; often times it will go away as the mind and body get used to the medication, sometimes a medication change is in order. The most serious concern with olanzapine is long term and involves metabolic issues, weight gain, diabetes, etc. This is mitigated by modifiable lifestyle changes such as diet and exercise. If you are not obese it is probably not a concern. Apart from this, like most psychiatric medications, it is quite safe; and carries significantly less risk of motor problems, etc. than many other antipsychotics.

I took olanzapine and I feel amphetamines now just fine.

Whether this is a good idea, though, is questionable; as they have opposing actions and the OLZ is being taken for good reason.

I think your doctor should have plenty of options of drugs you can try to replace olanzapine with so you can stay stable without feeling flat. But until then I'd really suggest you keep taking it because if you want to be the one who gets to call the shots and get the meds you feel help you the last thing you want is a bipolar episode so they can call the shots on what you get.

This is sound advice. Discontinuing medication leads to a downward spiral of rehospitalization and will eventually land you in a facility like mine for the long term and severely impaired which is not somewhere that you want to be. In the long term, your mind will not be permanently fried in any way by taking olanzapine, however, coming off and on medications, and the subsequent episodes, each time you go through the cycle it will get worse. Psychotic or manic episodes, even if they stop, have lasting effects on the brain and psyche and tend to get worse over time. This is more the case for schizophrenics but is valid for bipolar patients too, each episode will be harder to treat than the last, generally speaking, and will, by virtue of that alone, lead to longer hospitalizations, as will non-compliance in general as clinicians will have concerns about compliance and safety in the community.

If this happens long enough not only might you wind up in a long-term facility but you might wind up with some sort of court-ordered outpatient treatment. I don't know how this works in the U.K. but it is more or less the same wherever you go, if I have a patient who is on court-mandated treatment who does not take medication as directed or show up for appointments, I only need to make a few phone call and fax some documents with a few signatures and they will be brought in handcuffed but law enforcement. The court can also mandate you to take long acting injectable medications, given once ever 2-4 weeks or in the case of some of the newer medications, at even longer intervals, there does exist a long-term injectable version of Zyprexa (and Abilify, these are fairly recent; beforehand, we were limited to older drugs like haloperidol and fluphenazine.)

This is actually not a bad thing, plenty of people do it voluntarily, it allows you not to be bothered with taking pills and keeps a more steady level of the medication in your blood, although some don't like it as it can be fairly heavily sedating in the beginning and for obvious reasons the dose isn't easily titrated, but there are well-known and well-designed protocols to change from oral to long-term injectables.

Olanzapine may or may not be the best drug for you; you may or may not need an atypical or typical neuroleptic along with mood stabilizers, but I would strongly suggest that you not make these decisions around "I can't get high anymore," this is a pretty bad reason, not only because getting high without medication puts you at substantial risk but because it is possible that you will be able to enjoy (some) recreational drugs (with some limits) afterwards; I have always advised my clients not to do this but have also always oriented my practice towards harm reduction and honesty in the case of those who chose otherwise; I cannot unfortunately say the same for all clinicians (some do drug-testing, and can similarly do so by court order as above, and incarcerate the person until they provide a sample; I never agreed to do so even when I got pressure from the courts and State to do so for a variety of reasons, I felt it damaging to the provider-patient relationship and also to encourage patients to do more dangerous drugs like synthetic cannabinoids and so on to evade the tests; I made it clear to my patients that I would not make a call just because they were using but only due to behavioral issues or non-compliance with medication or appointments.)

But regardless, leave the recreational drugs out of the equation; discuss options, of which there are many, with your doctor, who will likely present you with at least a few alternatives if you are emphatic on not taking the Zyprexa, assuming it's his intention to even keep you on it long-term. Generally, without getting the courts involved, it is a give-and-take and a collaborative relationship of selecting a treatment regimen that is the best for the person in question, from multiple different dimensions, including therapeutic effect, side effects, cost/insurance coverage (in your case as I am given to understand a case still needs to be made with the NHS in order to cover more new and expensive medications, to make this case we have to document that you have had poor response to, or intolerable/dangerous side effects from, more affordable alternatives), etc.

So really, with all the medications out there, and all the possible combinations, there is something that will fit. Don't underestimate the importance of other treatments; cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) is very helpful for a very wide range of conditions and it is designed to help you better understand patterns of thought and action that lead to problems, internal and external alike, other forms of supportive therapy can be helpful too. ECT is not really in the picture for you now in all probability but should you get into a really severe state of either mania or depression, it is out there, and can be very helpful.

This post or any of my communications do not constitute professional advice nor do they establish a professional relationship of any kind; I make no claim to any specific professional credentials; in person consultation is essential for any medical, psychological, substance-related or harm reduction decisions. While peer support an advice can be helpful, any content posted online, regardless of it's source, cannot, by it's very nature, substitute for an in-person relationship with a clinician who has had the opportunity to take your history in the larger context and provide professional advice with all these factors, and others, taken into account.

Im on 5mg olanzapine and still get high maybe if you take a lower dose might help, how long you been smoking weed for the high does change, I feel I'd get more effect out of weed if I hadn't introduced morphine or oxycodone into my life as it feels a waste of weed to me if im not on a good dose of morphine or oxy as it makes me nod instantly, if i take the morphine for pain which I usually do every 12hours weed still affects me but not the mashed out red eye feeling unless im high on opiates.