• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Cannot quit SSRI antidepressants that destroyed my sex drive and finances

adhdanon

Greenlighter
originally diagnosed adhd with anxiety, lexapro 10 mg i thought saved my life at the time which it did and allowed me to tolerate stimulants but i only landed at associate attorney job once i lowered my new ssri zoloft dose from 50 mg to 25 mg and was on adderall xr 25 mg. They knew i had big exam coming up so they prob. expect me to go in there better than i have in the past according to my family who is trying to control me. Here is the kicker, I made it through a big internship in DC on lexapro 10 mg and adderall xr 25 mg, but it just didnt work for me anymore and i went broke multiple times until i saw a psych and she put me on wellbutrin xl 300 mg with zoloft 25 mg and xanax as needed. I take only 25 mg out of 50 mg because of the lethargy and ability to feel more and connect with people.

I was just prescribed Effexor XR last minute yesterday and tried it one day (wont have another day to try because my new job starts tomorrow). I noticed I felt more alert and sex drive certainly came back (not sure if an SNRI would help libido more but was more jittery). Im running through xanax 0.25 mg like there is no tomorrow and need some help here with the PTSD anxiety i need to be suppressed. thanks

Don't stop your SSRI these are long term maintainace sounds like you are taking too many pills too many different types but I would consult your doc seems like the cocktailing of uppers and benzos and Wellbutrin really isn't that good for anything but the jitters too many prescriptions will mess your levels up

Don't stop your SSRI these are long term maintainace sounds like you are taking too many pills too many different types but I would consult your doc seems like the cocktailing of uppers and benzos and Wellbutrin really isn't that good for anything but the jitters too many prescriptions will mess your levels up

Thank you for responding, had a horrible second day at work and it seems the higher SSRI doses either do this to me, on the lower dose I'm much better but have so much PTSD trauma anxiety, I needed Xanax or the extra SSRI dose that puts me out of touch. Cant see my psych cause work 9 to 6 and today was very bad second day. Psych said switch to Effexor XR immediately but I heard SNRIs are horrible to come off of, but if I'm looking for a release in a narcotic that an SNRI can free me and truly bring happiness, maybe it'll be worth it despite some jitters? FML

Oh yes I was on 225mg of Effexor for years before coming off it, and it was 6 weeks of hell. (Though I can't compare it to anything else). I couldn't drive or work or study. But when I was on it, it really helped me with my depression and anxiety, I got my life back and was functioning well (before deciding I was cured and didn't need it anymore).

Thing is when I relapsed into depression and went back on it, it didn't work at all... so if it works for you, stay on it. Worth a try.

Are you still on the Adderall? Maybe that mixed with the Effexor is adding jitters. Otherwise the Eff. dose may be too high?
Sometimes it can take a few days for your body to adjust and settle with a new drug.

I too have anxiety and PTSD I have found marijuana to be the best anti-anxiety medication that I've used. I've been on .5mg Clonazapam for about 15 years now. An extra .5mg before an anxiety causing event (crowds, busy highways) helps but I still need my marijuana. But the reason I am responding is because the best way to deal with anything is to face it head on. Counselling will help long-term while meds offer more immediate effects. But meds are like a bandaid in the sense that they cover up the problematic feelings but those feelings won't go away or even lessen unless you deal with the event(s) that caused you PTSD in the first place. Medications can dramatically improve our lives (especially if they reduce suicidal ideations in someone) but true freedom from certain mental illness can only be found through following our own twisted past through whatever therein lie. I wish you much luck on your journey of life.