• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Cannabis use for withdrawals

Mighty-oak

Bluelighter
In need of some help please.

I have been on benzos for well over 10 years as prescribed. I was prescribed them for anxiety and they worked wonders to start with......Long term they have the opposite effects and actually make anxiety worse! So I am gradually withdrawing....But....I am having a really hard time in doing so as in my anxiety is so so bad. My son recently was taken to hospital after an accident and I could not even drive 8 miles to the hospital to see him due to this terrible anxiety.....Question is, will cannabis ease anxiety? I have read that CBD oil can be bought legally in the UK so that is of interest, but I can also obtain weed.

Any help would be really good.

Thanks in advance.

Hey man, I hardly every pop into Cannabis discussion, which is kind of ironic, considering Cannabis is the drug I use the most. Cannabis is an interesting drug with a widely varying range of effects. It has the potential to both relieve your anxiety and to make it much, much worse. One of the keys is finding the right kind of bud for you. Everybody is different and it's taken me a little while to determine what straings work best for me, meaning, cause the least anxiety, sedate me, etc.

Could you maybe explain what the situation is in regards to your access to Cannabis? Do you have a choice in the matter or is a bag of weed a bag of weed where you are? At the very least, my advice would be to start extremely slow with your usage. Don't go rolling blunts or anything, as getting too high in your current state could easily induce panic. I would suggest getting a very small one hitter and taking small puffs to guage how you will be effected.

Do you have any other options regarding your anxiety? There are plenty of non-Benzodiazepine, non-controlled drugs that you could probably acquire that will lessen the severity of your symptoms. Clonidine (Catapres), Gabapentin (Neurontin) are both good ones to investigate. If you would like more information, let me know.

(Mobile is being weird for me so sorry if double posting), Weed can worsen and cause anxiety and paranoia and is much more likely to if there's an anxiety disorder present, It's always been iffy on how it'll affect me for instance, After having a wild ride with benzos with a buddy I'm off em cold turkey and finding the euphoric aspect of weed much stronger after the emotionally dulling effects of Xanax have completely faded, Try just a LITTLE bit and see how you feel, Also avoid stimulants(Caffiene).

If I were withdrawing from sedative/hypnotic drugs like Benzodiazepines or Alcohol, I would probably avoid Cannabis. I feel like it could greatly exacerbate symptoms. Opioid withdrawal is more my forte.

Benzo tapering and withdrawal all affects everyone differently, so it's hard to predict how you'll respond to cannabis in this process.

However, cannabis chemically won't do anything to interfere with your withdrawal and your central nervous system's recovery from getting off benzos. The issue would stem from how your body can handle new substances while it is out of whack. A good example is with alcohol; some can drink alcohol without any problem during a taper and withdrawal, while others can't drink for sometimes one year after getting off without having negative effects.

If you are able to tolerate cannabis, and if it is helping, then by all means use it as much as you'd like.