• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Cannabis, Irrational Thinking & Conspiracy Theories

Ravin Monkeys

Greenlighter
Is it me or is there a link?
All my heavy toker (wake up, light a spliff, smoke all day then sleep and do it all again) friends all believe in conspiracy theorys and refuse to take in evidence that proves their theory wrong time and time again. It's driving me nuts! It's almost as if they believe they are the chosen ones or have a desire to be different to appear interesting :! I mean they believe in every single one! 8(

Feel free to move this to the rants section if thats where it belongs mods, i couldn't make my mind up.

Find better friends, lol.
I used to smoke all day and never went crazy about 9/11 or aliens.

I think it could be highly likely that there is a link between heavy cannabis use and delusional thought patterns due to the way cannabis affects memory and perception, but there also is a cultural link between cannabis use and "conspiracy theory" type beliefs as well. Whether it has to do with the drug itself, imo it seems people who smoke weed are much more open to nontraditional ideas about the government. What I mean by that is my friends who smoke weed would for the most part not be considered a republican or democrat. Then again, that is from my small view of the world. Personally I think it hard to deny rampant corruption in virtually all large government and this is due to how closely tied industry(money, big business), power(military, economic), and government is tied. I don't however believe that the Earth is hallow and there are Nazi aliens living in the center. A conspiracy to put simply is more than on person planning to commit a crime in secret. If you get busted with intent to sell, you will also likely get conspiracy to sell drugs or some sort of conspiracy charge. So that being said, I don't think it logical to lump in beliefs such as 9/11 being a highly sophisticated operation(and not the act of a dozen or so half-witted terrorist)- a belief in which there is documentation upon documentation compiled by doctors of all trades like physicist and so on, to be lumped in with a belief like aliens are real and they are using mind control to control the government, or any other completely irrational and unfounded belief about how or why things may work they way they work.

There are huge amounts of people who believe in some ridiculously crazy shit and don't smoke weed. Without trying to single anyone one group out, take a look at your wide array of religions out there and try to tell me that some of those beliefs are not WAY fucking crazier than any ridiculous claim about aliens and governments. I believe there is a cultural link between smoking weed and just questioning things in general, including the mindset that you were raised with. I have a two friends, for example, who grew up going to church of similar beliefs and denominations. One started smoking weed in college and immediately quit believing in the religion he was raised to believe in. The other still goes to church and has continued his path of behavior without question- and in many ways would be considered more "successful" than my weed smoking friend. I think where a lot of confusion can occur is when you start pushing the boundaries of what may be true and false. Religious people tend to be "born" into their belief, then spend their adulthood deepening their belief without question of the initial belief, or if questions within arise they tend to search for ideas that will back up and strengthen their original belief. This I believe is caused for many reasons but the primary being survival and pride. The big difference between them and say a college student recently turned stoner is that the newfound stoner has likely questioned a lot of his original beliefs to get to where he is at, the most obvious likely being that "drugs are bad". So the path can begin at a simple divergence such as "maybe drugs are not bad, or as bad as they say" and continue to "what else is not true that 'they' has said" and so on.

that all being said, stoners are not the only ones to question themselves and their surroundings but a lot of them tend to hold beliefs that would suggest that they are. If smoking weed was the thing that triggered them to think for themselves for the first time, it is likely that they will think everyone should smoke weed or remain ignorant to the truth. Perhaps love them from a distance if you being around them all the time is burdensome. I have friends just like that who I'll hang out with on occasion but more than that and it's not good for me.

I wouldn't be able to last five minutes with friends like that. There's nothing worse than hearing illuminati every time a triangle is seen.

could just be that they're stuck in the honeymoon phase (people who are stoned all day long tend to be) and the mentality there is "the authorities lied to us about cannabis being a dirty, evil, murderous drug but it's wonderful so therefore every other conclusion presented by the authorities must also be a lie".

well, certain agents/organizations that fall under the category of "the authorities" do lie through their teeth and the media prints so much outright horseshit these days (i.e. completely uncorroborated reports) that the most sane course of action is to be skeptical of anything said by anyone. I think that many times the conspiracy theories capture the spirit of events shaping the real world far better than the official version does, even if they're way off the mark in terms of the actual truth.

............................ I think that many times the conspiracy theories capture the spirit of events shaping the real world far better than the official version does, even if they're way off the mark in terms of the actual truth.

I think that's a lovely way to put it =D=D

And to the OP: I wonder if this is just an example of a typical personal existential crisis regarding friends - but an not an uncommon one in the "world of drugs". Just last night I was at psytrance party and my friend remarked how he found that the older psychedelics "aficionados" just seems to repeat the same stories on every occasion - usually about how many drugs they's taken or how out of it they were. I have noticed this too after decades of involvement with the psytrance communities. For me it's a feeling that others have not necessarily "moved on" in some manner of personal evolvement (could sound arrogant of course). It can though, I feel, exert a gentle but seductive pull. And if you want to make progress in some way, then stasis is not a particularly speedy way of achieving that - and life is not that long that snail's pace will suffice.

Last edited:
could just be that they're stuck in the honeymoon phase (people who are stoned all day long tend to be) and the mentality there is "the authorities lied to us about cannabis being a dirty, evil, murderous drug but it's wonderful so therefore every other conclusion presented by the authorities must also be a lie".

well, certain agents/organizations that fall under the category of "the authorities" do lie through their teeth and the media prints so much outright horseshit these days (i.e. completely uncorroborated reports) that the most sane course of action is to be skeptical of anything said by anyone. I think that many times the conspiracy theories capture the spirit of events shaping the real world far better than the official version does, even if they're way off the mark in terms of the actual truth.

I agree, but I don't think it is simply because of the fallacy told about marijuana. As you pointed out, there is a very great deal of REAL corruption and a very large body of evidence to support that. I think a very large part of the problem is that we are in the midst of an information war. One fact of history is that our government, or at least bodies of said government such as the CIA, put out completely false news stories. I do not mean just simply highly opinionated, slanderous, or other forms of more subtle propaganda, but highly twisted or completely false news stories.

Truth be told, most people are too busy to read in depth about the majority of subjects they hear or just simply approach the topic from whatever point of view is offered to them through the TV and mainstream news sources. We could use a lot more skepticism in our society, however to be skeptical when the facts are staring you dead in the face is just as loony imo. Part of the reason some people hold completely absurd views is the inclination to believe without question, but the lack of response in the face of actual fact is what keeps them believing such crazy shit.

There is a technique that military and other secretive groups use when confronted with exposure and it is demonstrated very well by incidents like "Area 51", an incident that has become more of an urban legend rather than an actual event in US history. What exactly was it? I'm not going to speculate on that, but I would be willing to bet most people think it is one of two things: either aliens or a weather balloon. it certainly wasn't testing of top secret military equipment gone wrong.... I think it something similar as to what happens today. Some people are lifting the veil of secrecy and enter a world much different than that of which they grew up in, so to speak. If you tell a kid who believes in the tooth fairy, santa claus, the easter bunny, etc, that all those things aren't real, then MAYBE you could also convince him that the post man isn't real either- he may even be inclined to believe so on his own. If you look outside of what is presented by mainstream media, you quickly find it is a crazy fucking time to be alive in and it is easy to let your mind get away with those things.

Irrational theory's are pretty common when your really high, I was once convinced that the government was running massive surveillance operations under the ground as there is so much space down their it is perfect, but someone believing such things for more than just a single smoking session sounds a little like attention seeking to me. I of course do not know these people at all, but from what you have told us they don't sound like people who contribute to greatly to society and probably have social issues which they are in denial about and cover it up with half-faking these crazy beliefs.

Bit of an extremist view of the situation but I don't know any more about these people

I want to quote something I thought was key to what you were saying,

" It's almost as if they believe they are the chosen ones or have a desire to be different to appear interesting "

What you wrote there seems less of a pot related issue and more a douche related issue. Yeah, conspiracy theory's are cool, there ok to think about, maybe believe a few of them. Though when you start putting yourself above others based on the fact you think you have greater knowledge over a secretive subject, others don't know about. you're just a plain 'ole douche.

I only know this because you see the same traits in non smokers and smokers (though I have noticed cannabis users tend to delve deeper into more fictitious conspiracy theory's.)

Then again, I don't know your friends.

I can kinda see how, if a person *already* has a tendency to odd conspiracy theory thinking, weed might enhance that.

However, there's a likelihood that your group is self-selecting for people who believe in conspiracy theories. It takes a certain amount of "against the system" to even begin with, to be a weed smoker at all.

I can kinda see how, if a person *already* has a tendency to odd conspiracy theory thinking, weed might enhance that.

However, there's a likelihood that your group is self-selecting for people who believe in conspiracy theories. It takes a certain amount of "against the system" to even begin with, to be a weed smoker at all.