View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Cannabis induced HPPD?

nancy145

Bluelighter
I'm going through a rough time in my life rn so I can't really finish this, at least any time soon, but here's what i got done. also, i just saw my psychiatrist today, and he said that, in his opinion, I do have HPPD and do not have psychosis, but also that he doesn't know much about HPPD so he can't entirely confirm that. I think he is a very knowledgeable man, and even though he doesn't know much about HPPD, i trust that he is correct. Even Without considering what he says, I am almost certain that I have HPPD and don't have psychosis, so since we both agree I'd say there's a good 99% chance we're right. Anyway, here's what i got done-

There's a lot of background information I have to explain so this makes sense to everyone but I will get to the point, which is that I believe I might have cannabis induced HPPD. I'll try to separate it and organize it the best I can.
So, to start off, I get psychedelic effects from cannabis. I haven't done much regular psychedelics so I don't have much to compare it to, but I'd say it's about three times more powerful (hallucinogenic wise) than LSA (HBWR). *I've experienced everything from flashing patterns to rainbow spirals to colors bleeding off walls to auditory hallucinations and even to an out of body trip with zero comprehension of reality (posting trip report as the first reply, it's too long to put in the original post here).

when I first started smoking, I received no hallucinogenic effects from cannabis, other than the normal mild ones that everyone gets such as taste and music. The psychedelic effects began right after the out of body trip.

They were most powerful immediately after the OBE trip (when I smoked, I'll get to the sober hallucinations later), and gradually became weaker over the next year or so, but not by much. It wasn't noticeable that they were becoming weaker until about 3 months after the OBE trip.

At first, i had no idea what could possibly be the reason that i hallucinate on cannabis. After a while i thought i might have psychosis, because i heard somewhere that theres a link between psychosis and hallucinating on cannabis. that wouldn't explain the psychedelic-like hallucinations sober though. after smoking about 3 out of every two days with a gravity bong for over a year straight, i eventually had what i thought was a psychotic episode. I was very paranoid about the neighbors calling the cops on me for smoking, even though they clearly weren't going to since they've known i smoke for over a year. I also saw a bunch of people climbing around in trees (don't know why it scared me but it did really badly) at my neighbors house,, which my mom said she didnt see. and a face in my window of my room, but no one in there when i went to go check. A few minutes later, i went out my front door, and saw two people on my lawn and 2 on my neighbors driveway that my mom also sayd weren't there. I thought i was psychotic, but that was before i saw my psychiatrist. He said there was a possibility i was, but thinking back on it psychotics rarely are able to diagnose themselves or even believe that they are psychotic after being diagnosed. I quit smoking after the psychotic episode. I heard voices nearly every time i smoked for about a month before the episode, and days before i heard the voices sober. I heard them again on occasion for the next month while sober (after the episode), but not constantly.
I'm thinking that maybe the voices i heard were duo to HPPD, because i heard the same voices sober. Since cannabis is a psychedelic for me, I didn't know what could explain the people i saw, since that would be a deleriant effect. Then i realized that almost nothing is known about people getting psychedelic effects from cannabis, and not much is known about HPPD either. Since almost nothing is known about psychedelic effects form cannabis, it could be a possibility that cannabis/cannabis induced HHPD can cause delirent effects as well.

Here's the original thread in case the first 4 replies and some of the first part of the thread doesn't make sense. It isn't necessary to read though.

Writing this on lorazepam and parts of it on alcohol as well for a good reason that i thought of before while sober and agreed while sober that its ok for me to write this now. I'll explain the reason once i sober up. sorry
first off, yes, this is a serious thread and im not trolling. Please do not close it, unless there is a reason to close it in the full thread that im editing in later.I'm writing the actual thread on a notepad right now, I'll edit it in by tonight, maybe tomorrow but probably tonight. I just wanted to post this in now to ask one question because depending on the answer i might not need to write the whole big ass thread and waste my time. So, theoretically, let's say a person experiences powerful psychedelic effects from cannabis at any dose, about 3 times stronger than HBWR seeds(LSA) for comparison, and smokes an obscene amount of cannabis at least once every single day, no exceptions at all, but an average of about 1.5 times a day(like monday i smoke twice, tuesday once, wednesday once, thursday twice, and friday twice for example in case you didn't understand the 1.5), for a solid 7 months, and a slightly less dose an average of 6 times a week for 6 months before that, and had a full, disconnected from reality, out of body trip(trip report at bottom*) which started the hallucinogenic effects from cannabis i get regularly. Could this person possibly develop HPPD?

I realized after writing this it kinda looks like im trying to use SWIM types of things, with the whole theoretically and a person and all. Thats just the way i wrote it and im too fucked up to change it again. I do use drugs myself, so there's the reason why i cant be tryna use swim. god im so fucked up, so sorry.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
here is the part of the thread i already wrote to show that i actually have a long, important, serious thread I'm working on.

There's a lot of background infromation I have to explain so this makes sense to everyone but I will get to the point, which is that I belive I might have cannabis induced HPPD. I'll try to separate it and organize it the best I can.
So, to start off, I get psychadellic effects from cannabis. I haven't done much regular psychadellics so I don't have much to compare it to, but I'd say it's about three times more powerful (hallucinogenic wise) than LSA (HBWR). *I've experienced everything from flashing patterns to rainbow spirals to colors bleeding off walls to auditory hallucinations and even to an out of body trip with zero comprehension of reality (posting trip report as the first reply, it's too long to put in the original post here).

when I first started smoking, I recived no hallucinogenic effects from cannabis, other than the normal mild ones that everyone gets such as taste and music. The psychedelic effects began right after the out of body trip.

They were most powerful immediately after the OBE trip (when I smoked, I'll get to the sober hallucinations later), and gradually became weaker over the next year or so, but not by much. It wasn't noticeable that they were becoming weaker until about 3 months after the OBE trip.

At first, i had no idea what could possibly be the reason that
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
*trip report- http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads...ll-hallucinogenic-experience-powerful-visuals

Edit: i probably can't finish the thread until Monday because im staying over at my friends house for the weekend and were like notstop smoking the whole time but ill finish it monday or tuesday
yes, im still smoking, but i've stopped for a month and a half after the OBE trip and the sober hallucinations continued
im seeing my psychiatrist soon, i think Monday, so ill write what he says too;

Last edited:
Are you still smoking weed every day? I can't figure that out from your post. If so then it's not hppd.

Stuff like this can definitely happen.

I also used to get full-blown psychedelic effects from marijuana, on par with a proper trip on say shrooms or acid - though of a rather different quality - and it definitely made me feel weird (later when sober). For a while, my vision would get really trippy at random moments - I could easily trip out - and most remarkably, one day (sober) I got these weird trippy ass tactile sensations, as well as other stuff. I still have depersonalisation.

the memory of a vision is almost the same as having a vision, so
if you are remembering your experiences (which is great) you are re-living them.

I used to wonder at why people included cannabis in the psychedelic category until I had a few strange experiences on it. After a few regular trips, (once a week for a few weeks) with a bit of MXE at various times I found that when smoking I would find myself in a psychedelic head-space, nothing visual but very mentally similar.

What are you experiencing that has made you ask the question?