• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

News Cannabis Hyperemesis Syndrome

RUC4

Bluelighter
This post started out in DP&MC, but this portion seems to fit better over here. I posted an article referring to CHS killing teens, and I continued to research the syndrome.

What caught my eye about this article is the Cannabis Hyperemesis Syndrome. I had really never heard of it, however when I read the symptoms, I was reminded of my friend Austin who took his life.
- Ongoing nausea
- Repeated episodes of vomiting
- Belly pain
- Decreased food intake and weight loss
- Symptoms of fluid loss (dehydration)
During this phase, vomiting is often intense and overwhelming. Many people take a lot of hot showers during the day. They find that doing so eases their nausea. (That may be because of how the hot temperature affects a part of the brain called the hypothalamus. This part of the brain effects both temperature regulation and vomiting.) People often first seek medical care during this phase.
He hung himself from a tree in front of the front door to my studio. He was vomiting every morning a lot. I gave him zofran a number of times and it helped some. He would wake up and be outside vomiting and it was projectile. He wanted the temperature super low inside and would tell me maybe he should go take a hot shower. He smoked daily and heavily. But, he had a mental health history. He came to live where I was living after a stint in a psych hospital near there. I think maybe this started with psychosis. He was put in the psych hospital because he was running around the streets playing with paintball guns. People were afraid of him. He was hallucinating.

I should add that he also had an Adderal script that he admittedly HAD abused, but I don't think he was abusing them at the time of this illness/death.

Has anyone here experienced this phenomenon? The description of symptoms reminded me of cotton fever. I've had that a few times and vomited A LOT and had to take a super hot shower to stop shivering.

I should add that he also had an Adderal script that he admittedly HAD abused, but I don't think he was abusing them at the time of this illness/death.
There is a chance that he experienced some drug induced psychosis but was left untreated so it could have continued even despite not abusing Adderal, sorry for the loss of your friend.

Ive personally not encountered this CHS, nor have i seen it in any friends of mine who are long time heavy smokers of cannabis, coming up to 10 years now id say. Thats a very dark story and must have been difficult to see but it sounds like you tried to help him out. As someone who gets chronic, disabling cluster headaches and migraines (hell i cant even smoke anymore or be around smoke i have to vape and eat everything) ive been this low because of it at times, and had to choose a much smaller less interactive life in order to cope and ease symptoms the nausea i get sometimes is the worse part.

It sounds like what got your friend was more likely the mental health stuff, and the CHS probably didn't help. Sorry to hear about that

CHS is so mysterious as to not even be believed as a syndrome to many people. The source is confusing, but likely has something to do with cannabinoid and cannabinoid receptors themselves, which is not good news for people who have it and want to keep smoking

The fact that a syndrome like this exists actually gets me sick to my stomach. I like my weed. Been smoking 45 years. Not heavily but daily with a few years off. Still gets rid of nausea with one or two puffs. But I can't make sense of this. The only factor that made any sense is it can be like autoimmune response and may be genetic. Autoimmune responses are also mysterious. The body attacking itself.

I personally do not know anyone that has had this other than our patron poster Cosmic Charlie. But always looking to avoid it. Thankfully it is not that common. The genetic explanation makes the most sense but it needs more study.

If anyone has any definitives post them. Age, habits, common ground, etc... This sounds like once we know medically what it is that an antidote can be had quickly.

The title « Cannabis Hyperemesis Syndrome » preseumes that the "Hyperemesis Syndrome" has been positively associated to cannabis and cannabis only, which then presumes that irrefutable proof has been provided. Considering the past of $ien¢e-for-sale for many decades i'll just ignore it until it has been carefully verified no other vilifying vectors actually contaminated whatever data some individuals think they've collected...

Did a little more research on this today and then I will leave it alone. Sometimes staying in a subject is not good. Imaginations can fly. Sort of like looking up symptoms for something and thinking I have everything lol. I think one of the things i felt relief was that this does not happen to most people. And even the people that it does have so many variables to really nail anything down. Also the hot shower connection surely has to be a medical clue.

I can't find a common ground with this. Most aflicted seem to be younger. Some only smoked heavily for a few months. Others continued to smoke and only got nauseas occasionally. Others had it, quit and it did not come back when they started back up. Others quit and first time they smoked it happened again. Some got it from smoking and not when they vaped. Others had it go away while they continued to smoke. There are so many loose ends. Other than the cannabis message boards there is not much info.

There are so many variables. But some of the facts seem logical. We do have genetically modified cannabis these days. (At least I think that's what all this good bud these days is) And I do notice there are people that can finish a quarter ounce in a day. My cousin years ago would buy a half ounce and I had to stop him from smoking it all in a night.

When things do opposite of what they are suppose to then shit gets weird. Like when meth makes a heavy user sleepy.

That is about all I know. My only interest is to continue to smoke when I want too. Usually after dinner and before bed. I don't want the mary jane to turn on me in the anxiety department or the stomach dept. So far so good. That is 45 years of smoking with a year or two off at times due to parole piss tests and Canadian immigration (I had a criminal record and of course I had to try and do everything right, I should not have mentioned anything)

Lots of people smoke cannabis. So if this thread kicks up with a lot of posters afflicted with this there is a major issue. The last thread did not go too far. And reading on this today there are a lot of people that do not believe this affliction. We may find a reason that it exists though. Denial does not solve anything. But neither does jumping to conclusions.

Did a little more research on this today and then I will leave it alone. Sometimes staying in a subject is not good. Imaginations can fly. Sort of like looking up symptoms for something and thinking I have everything lol. I think one of the things i felt relief was that this does not happen to most people. And even the people that it does have so many variables to really nail anything down. Also the hot shower connection surely has to be a medical clue.

I can't find a common ground with this. Most aflicted seem to be younger. Some only smoked heavily for a few months. Others continued to smoke and only got nauseas occasionally. Others had it, quit and it did not come back when they started back up. Others quit and first time they smoked it happened again. Some got it from smoking and not when they vaped. Others had it go away while they continued to smoke. There are so many loose ends. Other than the cannabis message boards there is not much info.

There are so many variables. But some of the facts seem logical. We do have genetically modified cannabis these days. (At least I think that's what all this good bud these days is) And I do notice there are people that can finish a quarter ounce in a day. My cousin years ago would buy a half ounce and I had to stop him from smoking it all in a night.

When things do opposite of what they are suppose to then shit gets weird. Like when meth makes a heavy user sleepy.

That is about all I know. My only interest is to continue to smoke when I want too. Usually after dinner and before bed. I don't want the mary jane to turn on me in the anxiety department or the stomach dept. So far so good. That is 45 years of smoking with a year or two off at times due to parole piss tests and Canadian immigration (I had a criminal record and of course I had to try and do everything right, I should not have mentioned anything)

Lots of people smoke cannabis. So if this thread kicks up with a lot of posters afflicted with this there is a major issue. The last thread did not go too far. And reading on this today there are a lot of people that do not believe this affliction. We may find a reason that it exists though. Denial does not solve anything. But neither does jumping to conclusions.
agreed. I posted because it's been in the news a few times lately and I had never heard of it. I've never heard of any negative effects of long-term use besides brain farts and laziness, or smoker's cough/lung issues lol. It's an interesting perspective. But you guys are right: there is no proof that weed is the Only common denominator. It could be ANYTHING.. a virus, a bacteria on the plant, a parasite from the plant or elsewhere. It really makes sense for my friend in a way but isn't definite.

Last edited:
I've been curious about this condition for a while because it seems like cannabis doesn't affect everyone in a typical way. For me, no matter how tired I am, weed keeps me awake; no matter how hungry I am, it makes my appetite disappear and I don't get hungry until it wears off. Some of my symptoms are similar to hyperemesis except I don't get nauseous or vomit. I've always wondered why weed hits me this way. It's so annoying when my friends are all enjoying having the munchies but I have to eat before I smoke with them otherwise I will have zero interest in food and be a walking zombie with low blood sugar that I'm not even sensing. When my friends go out dancing, they often take stimulants, but I just smoke weed and then I can dance all night. It's weird!

I deal with CVS, cyclic vomiting syndrome, which has similar ties to CHS. The biggest being the shower thing, when I get with an episode that’s one of the few things that will save me. I’ve had people try to take me to the hospital because it’s so debilitating and frightening to watch but I refuse because I won’t be able to treat it with what I know works.

I’ve always felt my endocannabinoid system was funny. I smoke all day every day and only really begin to act abnormal I’m very large doses. Growing up I had horrible allergies and asthma that nearly killed me on one occasion, soon as I began smoking weed all of that COMPLETELY went away. Overnight my asthma was cured, my appetite was more normal, and I could function.

-GC

I deal with CVS, cyclic vomiting syndrome, which has similar ties to CHS. The biggest being the shower thing, when I get with an episode that’s one of the few things that will save me. I’ve had people try to take me to the hospital because it’s so debilitating and frightening to watch but I refuse because I won’t be able to treat it with what I know works.

I’ve always felt my endocannabinoid system was funny. I smoke all day every day and only really begin to act abnormal I’m very large doses. Growing up I had horrible allergies and asthma that nearly killed me on one occasion, soon as I began smoking weed all of that COMPLETELY went away. Overnight my asthma was cured, my appetite was more normal, and I could function.

-GC

CHS is essentially a specific CVS, they are one in the same, oddly enough, with the same cure of hot water and nothing else.

CHS is essentially a specific CVS, they are one in the same, oddly enough, with the same cure of hot water and nothing else.

Yup. From my memory CHS has something to do with serotonin. Folks like myself who deal with CHS also frequently deal with migraines too, which also has its root in serotonin dysfunction.

-GC

Yup. From my memory CHS has something to do with serotonin. Folks like myself who deal with CHS also frequently deal with migraines too, which also has its root in serotonin dysfunction.

-GC
That's really interesting...and unfortunate. Sorry to hear that.

I don't smoke like I used to. But when I was smoking weed heavily daily, I would vomit from coughing so hard (I had a bong). It's not the same thing at all, but lung irritation was an issue for me.

I also had serotonin syndrome when I was taking Zoloft and smoking so much. It was mainly just an ongoing cold until I stopped the Zoloft. The reason being I was on a very high dose of Zoloft, the highest dose allowed. The med wasn't really working for me so my Dr kept upping the dose. I discontinued taking it shortly after developing the serotonin syndrome.

-GC

The mystery for me remains: why the fucking hot water? Like, why don't sex, exercise, opiates, SSRIs, anti-emetics or drugs in general help?

Like, I'm a long term junkie with the stereotypical aversion to water, hot or no, so it is particularly confusing for me.

For me, no matter how tired I am, weed keeps me awake; no matter how hungry I am, it makes my appetite disappear and I don't get hungry until it wears off. Some of my symptoms are similar to hyperemesis except I don't get nauseous or vomit. I've always wondered why weed hits me this way. It's so annoying when my friends are all enjoying having the munchies but I have to eat before I smoke with them otherwise I will have zero interest in food and be a walking zombie with low blood sugar that I'm not even sensing.
Interesting, all the opposite effects one would expect. It does show we are all wired differently.

I stopped any research on this after I read these points. I decided we don't know squat about this and doctors just spout it out. I have no doubt there is something happening to some people but why? So this is why I stopped researching.

I made sure the poster that had it said the doctor diagnosed him with it. So here is why I stopped.

1. Someone stopped CHS by switching strains.
2. Someone only gets it from vaping and edibles but smoking flower does not cause it for this person.
3. Someone smoked past it, was diagnosed and did not stop and does not get nauseas at all now.
4. Too many young people, 17 and 18 that only smoked for a short time getting CHS. Could not find too many older people.
5. Some diagnosed simply cut back and CHS went away.

So you see we know nothing. Neither do doctors. If you get nauseas and throw up from cannabis then simply stop. Or smoke past it. :p

Last edited:
Interesting, all the opposite effects one would expect. It does show we are all wired differently.

I stopped any research on this after I read these points. I decided we don't know squat about this and doctors just spout it out. I have no doubt there is something happening to some people but why? So this is why I stopped researching.

I made sure the poster that had it said the doctor diagnosed him with it. So here is why I stopped.

1. Someone stopped CHS by switching strains.
2. Someone only gets it from vaping and edibles but smoking flower does not cause it for this person.
3. Someone smoked past it, was diagnosed and did not stop and does not get nauseas at all now.
4. Too many young people, 17 and 18 that only smoked for a short time getting CHS. Could not find too many older people.
5. Some diagnosed simply cut back and CHS went away.

So you see we know nothing. Neither do doctors. If you get nauseas and throw up from cannabis then simply stop. Or smoke past it. :p

My guess would be these factors are somehow involved:
1) Different phenotypes of CB receptors (or associated receptors), based on genetics.
2) Different cannabinoids and different concentrations, depending on the strain.
3) Different stages of neuroreceptor development (adolescent vs. adult vs. late adult).
4) Different levels of receptor naivety vs. exposure vs. resistance.

The first time I tried cannabis, I was 16 years old. I smoked half a joint and nothing happened. So I assumed people exaggerated the effects and didn't bother trying it again. The next time I tried it I was 19 and I got so high that it was practically psychedelic.

Hello everyone bit of an older thread here but thought I’d add my two cents as this is something that’s really impacted my life. I can confirm chs is very real and extremely debilitating if you don’t cease use. I’ve been a very heavy everyday smoker from the age of 15-24 I developed chs at age 23 and continued smoking in denial that that couldn’t happen to me. I got horribly sick about every 2 weeks and would be vomiting constantly for a week strait this went on for over a year I just couldn’t seem to put it down it was my life. Recently the past couple months I’ve been doing quite good not smoking but unfortunately turned to other drugs.. well anyways just thought I’d post this to help spread awareness about this very shitty very real syndrome.

Totally anecdotal but the only time I've had remotely nauseating (or really even negative) experiences with weed was low quality medical grade cannabis. I live in a legal state (rec/med), but the medical industry is practically unregulated in comparison, and essentially operates in completely illegal ways out in the open. Recently some audit testing was done which concluded that slightly over 40% of our medical weed would fail the testing required for the adult-use industry (which also just finds ways to pass testing temporarily). An enormous amount of samples were contaminated with mold, yeast, pesticides and one was more vaguely described as being adulterated with "filth and foreign material". Using this low quality cannabis wasn't just shitty to smoke in the moment, so this news was not surprising to me. I'm a extremely chronic user (bipolar), and in the moment I was prepared for the inevitable. I had smoked this low quality product primarily for the better part of 3 months. Out of interest I purchased some product from one of my favorite dispens (just too expensive to regularly purchase from) and saw a cessation from these (much milder in my case) symptoms. I've definitely mostly heard stories that don't fit into this theory, but I think it might play a role in self-reported CHS. I definitely think the detection of myclobutanil is probably the most important factor if I had to guess. As far as I know, myclobutanil has been known by many to have a nauseous effect (the nausea being caused by... it turning into cyanide gas) when residue is left on flower, and has been banned for use in cannabis cultivation in several states and the entirety of Canada.

Last edited:
Totally anecdotal but the only time I've had remotely nauseating (or really even negative) experiences with weed was low quality medical grade cannabis. I live in a legal state (rec/med), but the medical industry is practically unregulated in comparison, and essentially operates in completely illegal ways out in the open. Recently some audit testing was done which concluded that slightly over 40% of our medical weed would fail the testing required for the adult-use industry (which also just finds ways to pass testing temporarily). An enormous amount of samples were contaminated with mold, yeast, pesticides and one was more vaguely described as being adulterated with "filth and foreign material". Using this low quality cannabis wasn't just shitty to smoke in the moment, so this news was not surprising to me. I'm an extremely chronic user (bipolar), and in the moment I was prepared for the inevitable. I had smoked this low quality product primarily for the better part of 3 months. Out of interest I purchased some product from one of my favorite dispens (just too expensive to regularly purchase from) and saw a cessation from these (much milder in my case) symptoms. I've definitely mostly heard stories that don't fit into this theory, but I think it might play a role in self-reported CHS. I definitely think the detection of myclobutanil is probably the most important factor if I had to guess. As far as I know, myclobutanil has been known by many to have a nauseous effect (the nausea being caused by... it turning into cyanide gas) when residue is left on flower, and has been banned for use in cannabis cultivation in several states and the entirety of Canada.
Not saying there’s not some truth to your statement but it doesn’t matter how I consume the cannibinoid they all make me sick including cbd and it seems to always happen around the same time every time about 3-4 thc carts in. Happens with flower happens with edibles all of it. It’s something to do with my cb1 receptor so the “professionals” say. Idk man the whole situation has me quite upset as I’m sitting over here grinding my teeth to nothing

Not saying there’s not some truth to your statement but it doesn’t matter how I consume the cannibinoid they all make me sick including cbd and it seems to always happen around the same time every time about 3-4 thc carts in. Happens with flower happens with edibles all of it. It’s something to do with my cb1 receptor so the “professionals” say. Idk man the whole situation has me quite upset as I’m sitting over here grinding my teeth to nothing
Oh I don't mean to imply that's what CHS is or anything. I'm just wondering if a lot of the dialogue (i.e self-reports and anecdotal experience) around this is impacted by other factors, especially with the more paradoxical and short lived effects some people seem to describe.

Oh I don't mean to imply that's what CHS is or anything. I'm just wondering if a lot of the dialogue (i.e self-reports and anecdotal experience) around this is impacted by other factors, especially with the more paradoxical and short lived effects some people seem to describe.
I see sorry a little fucked up rn but I agree with you to an extent there. I have a tendency to believe that it could be the increased levels of thc somehow throwing the receptors into a fit because you don’t hear of this happening 20 years ago well I guess I don’t really know only being 25 but havnt heard anyone mention anything and I’ve talked to quite a few people on quite a few forums and groups. Some of my episodes were worse than others a few times I would only get sick once in the morning and be fine the next day but next time I’ll be vomiting for a week +