• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Cannabis has artificial smell

W93

Greenlighter
I live in Vancouver and get my bud from a bunch of local dispensaries. Usually it's good, but sometimes some of the bud has an artificial smell, and some I just grabbed smells straight up like an air freshener. I might just be paranoid and maybe the bud just naturally smells really good, but I'm worried it might some kind of additive or spray that's making the cannabis smell this way.

Anyone have any insight?

It depends mostly where the MJ originated from, Mexico is a large supplier and uses all types of scents to mask the natural smell. You probably are getting mj that was packed with potpourri

^ I highly doubt that medical dispensaries get their product from mexican smugglers ;)

w93, why don't you ask the people working at the dispensary about it?

Because I suspect they'll just give me false reassurance that it's genetics, but I won't be any more sure than I am now.

It didn't get flushed with straight water for long enough at the end of the grow, needs a week of straight water to get chemicals out then keep it in complete dark for 5 days or so, so it thinks it is dying, and sucks everything out of the soil to produce bigger and stronger buds, that's for indoor. I was a vendor for many clubs.

Last edited:
^ I have no idea what you are trying to say. Trolling perhaps?

I'll try to explain what killordeath meant:

most growers use fertilizers and other supplements to get better yields. hardly anybody grows completely organic. so because of these chemicals, the taste of the bud can be altered in an unfavorable way. so the method to get the taste back to normal weed is to use only water on the plants for a week or two (before harvesting them), because then the nasty tasting stuff gets flushed out of the buds, and you have nice smelling buds.

the air freshener smell is because it was not flushed with straight water for a week at least to get all the chemicals drained out of soil, because you use Nutrients that have chemicals in them to grow, then start flowering make plant stronger bigger taste better like Connoisseur Grow Coco A&B, Connoisseur Bloom Coco A&B, Bud Candy, Flawless Finish, and many more. Guess you don't no anything about growing weed.
yay some one understands. air freshener smell sound like its flushed jest enough might be a little early, perfume smell is to early.

Last edited:
Interesting. Thanks for clarifying. Maybe it's just the smell of "nutrients"/pesticides. And you are correct, I know nothing about growing. Hence my dependence on cannabis dispensaries.

Does anyone have any personal knowledge of growers and/or dispensaries and/or dealers spraying their bud with stuff to alter the scent/flavour/appearance. The only thing I could find to confirm my theory was this: http://sensiseeds.com/en/blog/how-do-i-know-if-my-cannabis-is-contaminated/

Last edited:
Never heard of spraying bud after harvest, but if the person has spider mites you have to spray and kill them during grow, and can't spray when in flowering, also bud could get powdery mildew if not enough air flow but don't think any of that would pass into a club, you can look it up to see what it looks like. Thats some crazy looking bud on that link, dose not look right i know that. you can get a 50x loupe for cheap if you want a close up look at your bud.

Last edited:
I don't now really what you mean when saying your bud smells like air freshener, never grown anything that smelled anything like a air freshener. but that's because I stuck with strong stinky Indica OG Kush Hybrids, bubba kush, banana og kush, sour d og kush, girl scout cookies, and you always know what that stinky OG Kush smells like, it's so distinctive.