• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Cannabis consumption after cornea transplant

brokedownpalace10

Bluelighter
My lady just had a cornea transplant and will have to have the other eye done as well. She stopped Cannabis consumption a couple weeks ahead of the surgery and has had none as yet a couple weeks after. She did this on my recommendation since I knew it affects ocular pressure.

So the question is, how long after surgery does she need to abstain?

I know this is not exactly the best place to ask this, but I can find nothing online. Recreational Marijuana is illegal in our state and I also know that most docs just say to never smoke pot just to be safe.

She'd like to have an edible now, but abstaining for a while is not a huge issue.

But how long? How long to not consume Cannabis after a cornea transplant?

May I ask why it's recommended to abstain at all? I can see why it might be a bad idea to smoke it, especially since the smoke may irritate her eyes, but I personally don't see the harm in having an edible.
Maybe if she was to get uncomfortably high it might be problematic, but I really don't see any issues. I ain't no heap big medicine man tho...

The only knowledge i have on eyes and cannabis is that too much CBD can worsen Glaucoma , other than this i dont know sorry

My lady just had a cornea transplant and will have to have the other eye done as well. She stopped Cannabis consumption a couple weeks ahead of the surgery and has had none as yet a couple weeks after. She did this on my recommendation since I knew it affects ocular pressure.

So the question is, how long after surgery does she need to abstain?

I know this is not exactly the best place to ask this, but I can find nothing online. Recreational Marijuana is illegal in our state and I also know that most docs just say to never smoke pot just to be safe.

She'd like to have an edible now, but abstaining for a while is not a huge issue.

But how long? How long to not consume Cannabis after a cornea transplant?
First of all, none of us here are doctors so please take everything we say with a grain of salt, including what I say.

How was the cornea transplanted? Was her eye cut with a scalpel or laser or something? Did she get pain meds? Is she in any pain or have any discomfort? Does she have sensitivity to sunlight or bright lights?

If she is still having pain or discomfort and you think weed will affect her healing, then to me logic suggests waiting until all discomfort is gone and the incision is completely healed. Maybe after everything is okay, wait another few days or a week before considering it safe to fire up again.

This is kind of uncharted territory and like I said, I'm not a doctor. If it was my own post-op decision, like I said, I would wait until everything was fine. Speaking of post-op, does she have any follow up appointments with her doctor? It's possible the doctor will be able to say with authority whether she is healed/recovered or not. I would use that as a measuring stick.

If ocular pressure is an issue doesn't it render coughing a significant issue?

And if so then what other consumption method? If any available that also proves adapted and affordable...
It does indeed make coughing an issue. She's not supposed to cough. She doesn't like smoking anyway.
Marijuana reduces ocular pressure for a few hours.
They put a bubble in your eye to hold the cornea up for proper healing. That bubble is gone in a week, but...

Healing time is listed as a few weeks to a few months. Yes, that is the range given.
So, time till Cannabis is a week to a few months, IMO. Seems it should be less than a few months, not sure how much less.
We intend to wait at least a couple weeks after each surgery, just to be safe.

Online, you get answers from docs like, "You should not smoke Marijuana after cornea transplant due to the risk of re-addiction." Sheesh.

It does indeed make coughing an issue.

How about chewing gum??

Online, you get answers from docs like, "You should not smoke Marijuana after cornea transplant due to the risk of re-addiction."

You've been lucky. These last few weeks i got Drama Queens trying to get rich and i wasn't even calling for that in my search results, then followed extravagant claims like one related to cannabis vs cannibalism in Africa... More recently i got among those targetted by a vast mediatic operation revolving around the $¢ien¢e of Andrew Huberman on *MASTURBATION* and/or cannabis being a "danger" to our brains.

It seems people need "coaches of life" these days and that doesn't sell quick enough. Go figure who in trouble the most, starting with social media as YT because that cant last indefinitely! Hopefully.

Good day, have fun!! ☮️

The fact she’s stopping it for a while for me not too good but health first all the same. So what flavor was she taking and when is her transplant?
Gummies. 1/4 to 1 whole 10 mg gummy when using to relax of an evening. So, doses are low.
She had one eye done already and she stopped for about a month thereafter. She still has the other eye to do, though.
Thing is, we are finding that she very much benefits from a bit of edible daily. Say, 1/8 to 1/4 of a gummy.
Unless we get a good answer, I'll have to back her off again for the next surgery. As you say, not too good.

Online, you get answers from docs like, "You should not smoke Marijuana after cornea transplant due to the risk of re-addiction." Sheesh.
Shit like this makes me SUPER glad that places like BL exist. “Just say no” is a ridiculous policy, online or otherwise.

That being said, I concur with what others have said: 1. Probably best to wait until fully healed 2. We aren’t doctors so please carefully consider the advice you might receive here, and use your own best judgment

You sound like a caring partner :)

It's smart of her to abstain from Cannabis consumption, especially since it affects ocular pressure. As for how long she needs to abstain, it's understandable that you haven't found much information online since recreational Marijuana is illegal in your state. It's always better to err on the side of caution and follow your doctor's recommendations. However, if you're interested in exploring alternative options for relief, have you considered trying the best CBD for relief? It's non-psychoactive and has been known to help with pain management and anxiety. Just make sure to consult with your doctor first to ensure it's safe to use in conjunction with your lady's recovery plan.

Last edited:
Yeah, sometimes medi¢ine is compatible with a do¢or'$ $a¢red hypo¢ratic oath, euh...