• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Cannabis anxiety

McTavish

Greenlighter
So i've been smoking cannabis for almost 4 years now, so not too long. But recently, pretty much every time I smoke, either alone or with other people, I get really paranoid. I used to be able to speak to people really well while stoned, even better in some situations, but now it's like i'm so caught up in worrying about myself or the people around me that I feel totally distanced from everybody and just shut up completely.
I know this happens to a lot of people but it's pretty unusual for me. Anybody else ever had issues with this? Anybody know how to cure this?

Maybe smoke less or not at all. It is strange though sometimes even when weed gives me anxiety, which these days it rarely does, I still can not stop smoking the chronic. I have been smoking for just about a decade now so I suppose that could be the difference. There are people that smoke there whole lives though and do not experience anxiety from it ever. Some smoke to relieve them from anxiety. This works for me sometimes but can be unpredictable depending on how am feeling about myself or life in general.
Anxiety is a natural feeling to have, maybe you are dealing with something right now? How has life been? If I am having issues emotionally marijuana can be a bad choice as we tend to think and over analyze everything so much.

It may just have something to do with the way my life is going at this moment. I guess I never really expected it, always seeing marijuana as something that i could just use to relax and socialize myself more, but that may be it. I've been stressing out a lot about college recently and family stuff.
Guess i'll just have to wait until things get sorted out and try smoking every once in a while to see if anything's changed. And if that doesn't work then I don't know.

Shucks.

Cannabis magnifies whatever you're feeling at that moment. In troubling times it can magnify feelings of anxiety and cause harsh self-reflection, especially the sativa variety.

This is part of the reason cannabis is less addictive than other drugs, it doesnt simply numb your pain like opiates, or inflate your ego, like cocaine. Its less of an escape than it is an enhancement. It causes feelings and thoughts to become more intense.

I've always kinda felt like when i had "bad karma" or was living in unhealthy or immoral way, I'd feel pretty awful when i smoked weed, but it helped show me the error of my ways and inspired me to make changes for the better. Thats just me though

I know when I did lsd, if I was a jerk i would be forced to see myself for what I was.
Maybe if cannabis is the same way but just not nearly as strong, it just makes me stoned enough to feel bad about myself, but not stoned enough to deal with it.
But i'm pretty scared to do lsd again if weed makes me paranoid. Bad trips are horrible.

Cut down, maybe take a break. Weed clouds your thought processes when you smoke it excessively... personally I get forgetful and lazy.

Have you ever tried the weed and speed combo? It's great. The speed amplifies the weed euphoria and gets rid of any anxiety or lethargy, while the weed mellows out the effects of the speed. The result is you get very, very high but not you're not 'stoned'. You can function and socialize much better on this combo than on weed alone.

Never tried it. Only combo I've ever tried like that was weed and caffeine, which, for me at least mostly kills the weed high.
I'll probably just stop smoking for a while and come back later, it's not that big a deal for me anyway, I can quit for a while.

I remember when I was 18 I was able to smoke and enjoy the giggles and generally have a good high, I smoked pretty frequently in those days. I am not a regular pot smoker now, but when I do smoke, I get TERRIBLE anxiety...I definitely am not one of those who can drink and smoke either, always a sure fire way for me to spin. I noticed that I generally do not get any anxiety and have a better high (similar to those around me) when I smoke backyard weed instead of the kushes and potent crystally buds ..lol I am 26 years old and I prefer like, dad weed lol

Bottom line: weed is starting to fuck with your head. Really best to quit while you're ahead.

If you keep smoking yourself anxious on a regular basis, then what do you think is going to happen a couple years down the road? Avoiding an anxiety disorder triggered by long term weed smoking is in your best interest so just quit. Why would you spend money on a silly plant that's horrible for your health and all it does is make you anxious now. Well, maybe it gives you a hit too, that stuff is addictive as hell.

Quitting was the best decision I ever made even though I went through with it far too late in life, after the thc had damaged my brain pretty severely. I just sincerely wish that I never even started but I have learned a lot from the ego-crushing suffering that was the result of heavy weed use. Having to reconstruct my reality and changing my beliefs on something so drastically was a big learning experience. I used to be a weed fanatic and thought it was harmless until I realized my life had been destroyed by it. I had to go with my instinct and ignore all the bullshit pro-weed nonsense out there and all my stupid friends who smoke their brains out all day, that bullshit I had been brainwashed with into an industry that is simply all about money these days. That kind of nasty encouragement and propagation of self-denial that makes it so hard to quit what is a bad habit for most. At least I'm off that shit now, I was a disturbed zombie fiend on it. I am disgusted by my past behaviour as a pothead. It was fun in high school and all downhill from there.

Last edited:
Bottom line: weed is starting to fuck with your head. Really best to quit while you're ahead.

If you keep smoking yourself anxious on a regular basis, then what do you think is going to happen a couple years down the road? Avoiding an anxiety disorder triggered by long term weed smoking is in your best interest so just quit. Why would you spend money on a silly plant that's horrible for your health and all it does is make you anxious now. Well, maybe it gives you a hit too, that stuff is addictive as hell.

Quitting was the best decision I ever made even though I went through with it far too late in life, after the thc had damaged my brain pretty severely. I just sincerely wish that I never even started but I have learned a lot from the ego-crushing suffering that was the result of heavy weed use. Having to reconstruct my reality and changing my beliefs on something so drastically was a big learning experience. I used to be a weed fanatic and thought it was harmless until I realized my life had been destroyed by it. I had to go with my instinct and ignore all the bullshit pro-weed nonsense out there and all my stupid friends who smoke their brains out all day, that bullshit I had been brainwashed with into an industry that is simply all about money these days. That kind of nasty encouragement and propagation of self-denial that makes it so hard to quit what is a bad habit for most. At least I'm off that shit now, I was a disturbed zombie fiend on it. I am disgusted by my past behaviour as a pothead. It was fun in high school and all downhill from there.

That's ridiculous, the weed didn't damage your brain. Your "stupid friends" could just hold their shit together better than you could. Weed isn't what made you act like a zombie fiend, and if it was keeping you from living the way you wanted, you should have stopped smoking it and moved on.

Blaming your friends, the weed, the "pro-weed nonsense", the industry, other peoples' self-denial, are ways for you to circumvent the responsibility for your own choices. The phrase "ego-crushing suffering" used to describe your stoner days is laughable to me - we're talking about cannabis here!

Cannabis is a potent and widely applicable medicine, and a far safer recreational drug than alcohol. It doesn't work fur everyone, but to claim its the fault of the drug itself is silly. If you can't handle your shit, stop smoking.

Its not horrible for for you and its not a silly plant, it has thousamds of years of use as a medicine and a sacred herb. Its far less harmful than booze or tobacco. Whats silly is your attitude towards it, and your attitude towards drugs in general.

Some straight amateur bullshit...

Last edited:
That's ridiculous, the weed didn't damage your brain. Your "stupid friends" could just hold their shit together better than you could. Weed isn't what made you act like a zombie fiend, and if it was keeping you from living the way you wanted, you should have stopped smoking it and moved on.

Blaming your friends, the weed, the "pro-weed nonsense", the industry, other peoples' self-denial, are ways for you to circumvent the responsibility for your own choices. The phrase "ego-crushing suffering" used to describe your stoner days is laughable to me - we're talking about cannabis here!

Cannabis is a potent and widely applicable medicine, and a far safer recreational drug than alcohol. It doesn't work fur everyone, but to claim its the fault of the drug itself is silly. If you can't handle your shit, stop smoking.

Its not horrible for for you and its not a silly plant, it has thousamds of years of use as a medicine and a sacred herb. Its far less harmful than booze or tobacco. Whats silly is your attitude towards it, and your attitude towards drugs in general.

Some straight amateur bullshit...

Someone needs to get of their high horse and stop being an ass.

Someone needs to stop blaming weed and everyone else for their problems. It's great if stopping cannabis has improved his life, it's pathetic to blame wees, society, the industry, and his friends for his own issues. It's representative of everything that's wrong with drug treatment programs and indicative of an immature approach to life in general.