• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Cannabis and gaba?

strgchris

Greenlighter
So does it lower it or raise it? I've read research that implies gaba is blocked, others state it is raised, and some that seem to think it balances glutamate and gaba raising neither via the ndma receptor. So which is it? If it blocks gaba how does it help with sleep/anxiety or seizure? Wouldn't ingesting a substance that blocks gaba induce greater nerve pain? if you indeed suffer from nerve pain. Which I can with me it most definitely helps with all of this things. Just curious if some pot experts fill in the gaps.

I'm not an expert on cannabis pharmacokinetics, but I would begin with understanding that studies that theorize the effects of a drug to be because of its affinity to a receptor one way, may be found to be the opposite in future studies. That might explain why you've read two different claims for GABA action.
As for the blocking of the body's primarily inhibitory neurotransmitter [GABA] by cannabinoids, it would be a hard sell to pin the effects on just one interaction. Other neurotransmitters are active in regulating the body's homeostatic function as well; i.e. serotonin and dopamine.
Know that there is also a difference between the pain you feel when you stub your toe, and the neuropathic pain that comes from an inability to suppress the disinhibited pain centers in the brain (as in the case with opiate withdrawals).

Last edited: