• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Cannabinoids, Terpenes and Flavonoids: The Holy Trinity

w01fg4ng

Bluelighter
It wasn’t that long ago that cannabis connoisseurs talked only of THC with very limited knowledge of other cannabinoids, terpenes and flavonoids. Today, through technological and medical advances our discussion on cannabis has and is growing exponentially. With hundreds of chemicals yet to be researched, we have our work cut out for us. These three classes of chemicals have a tremendous amount of value that I believe to be the corner stones of cannabis research.

5XyqJ5W.png

Cannabinoids: These are the drugs we know and love also known as THC, THCA, CBD, CBG, etc. They have various binding abilities to receptors in the brain and body (CB1, CB2). Some cannabinoids can change the shape of the receptors that other cannabinoids are binding to.

Terpenes: These are the chemicals that give cannabis strains their unique smells, such as myrcene, limonene and caryophyllene. They are volatile and some have affinities for cannabinoid receptors.

Flavonoids: These are the chemicals that provide pigmentation, such as cannflavine A, B and C. The minuscule amount of flavonoids found in the cannabis plant makes it difficult to study, however they have still proven to be medically beneficial.

Scientists, medical dispensaries and recreational producers often make use of concentrates for ease of use when producing a dominant cannabinoid, terpene or flavonoid. Plant based concentrates are ideal, however it’s not always reasonable.

For example, scientist are making attempts at derivatives of flavonoids for research purposes that could have an enormous impact on the community. With modern studies of flavonoids alone, we could have benefits ranging from anti-inflammatory medicine that is 30x more effective than aspirin with no side effects to a treatment for pancreatic cancer, within the next couple of years. The opportunity for understanding is ultimately up to us.

Research has not only been blunted by legality issues, but practicality issues that we are still overcoming. With the positive effects of legalization as well as medical research being made, I’m optimistic that we will continue to discover life changing medical uses from this remarkable plant.

Sources:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6663976/
https://www.sciencealert.com/scient...bis-molecules-30x-more-effective-than-aspirin
https://www.fundacion-canna.es/en/flavonoids
http://profofpot.com/does-cbd-block-high-of-thc/

still a ways to come, and lol still havent even discovered all the cannabinoids yet i see. mainstream is slow.

It's only been a few years and we've successfully synthesized phytocannabinoids previously unheard of by the common user. The market looks completely different and it's not slowing down.

We still have yet to make as much headway on the flavonoids but they are there and we will eventually synthesize those too.

Don't blink, you might miss it!

When I started smoking in Canada it was either hydro or Jamaican. No strain names nothing.

We have come far. Now I know 80 year old who vape for pain. We have doctors that will recommend a strain for what you are suffering from.

The government hired a bunch of suits with no weed experience and they messed up bad at first.
My guy knows more about Marijuana than the government. They should have employed people who have been busted in the past for growing.

It's only been a few years and we've successfully synthesized phytocannabinoids previously unheard of by the common user. The market looks completely different and it's not slowing down.

We still have yet to make as much headway on the flavonoids but they are there and we will eventually synthesize those too.

Don't blink, you might miss it!

I worked in a lab a long time. Wish I would have been researching Cannabis rather than the boring crap I was doing. I also wish I would have had Shulgin's books when I was an unsupervised grad student. Sigh.

Tom

When I started smoking in Canada it was either hydro or Jamaican. No strain names nothing.

We have come far. Now I know 80 year old who vape for pain. We have doctors that will recommend a strain for what you are suffering from.

The government hired a bunch of suits with no weed experience and they messed up bad at first.
My guy knows more about Marijuana than the government. They should have employed people who have been busted in the past for growing.

ugh, thanks for reminding me of all that vietnamese hydro at a time, rock hard little nugs that looked like clumps of petrified green rabbit shit stuck together. invariably tasting like chemicals because nobody fucking flushed it proper, worst hydro ever.