• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Canada's Parliament sits Formal commitment to legalization in throne speech

Thomas Davie

Moderator: CD
Staff member
Really quickly - A throne speech is approximately equivalent to an American State of the Union address. I'm also aware that some of my fellow Canadians are not as optimistic as I. Debate is still out as to whether or not people will be allowed to cultivate, and this can't happen quickly enough; but we will be allowed to possess, consume, transport and transfer between adults without renumeration. The throne speech was yesterday (Friday, December 4th). Here is a brief press blurb.

---------------------------------------------------------
OTTAWA -- It has taken more than 40 years but the government of Canada is finally formally committing to legalizing marijuana.

Gov. Gen. David Johnston delivered the governing priorities of Justin Trudeau's Liberals in the speech from the throne Friday, including a pledge to "legalize, regulate and restrict access to marijuana."
---------------------------------------------------------

(Bruce Cheadle - The Canadian Press)

Tom

Salutations Thomas Davie,

...some of my fellow Canadians are not as optimistic as I.

Personally i happen to be one of those who call for caution about MiniPET's "legalization" which might just be another way to word PROHIBITION.

Lets avoid minimizing his family history with cannabis, i'm thinking of Margaret and Michel... IMO his #1 goal is to make sure no Canadian child can be exposed to cannabis again ever, all other considerations having lesser priority. Repeated prohibitionist declarations as to why no child should access cannabis only shows where this could lead if his reform is based on the opinions of people who benefit from it...

...a brief press blurb.

One problem about journalists is their lack of objectivity as we all know controversy sells. Examples of contemplative bigot-compatible press coverage multiplied recently and this translated into support for a prohibitionist law in Québec where toxic smoke is equivalent to vaporism and vice-versa: actually our parliament voted such law unanymously.

So, i'd point out prohibition doesn't emerge into full proportions instantly, it begins with banalisation of hate speech, etc. Turning people into targets corresponds to that process exactly IMO: in the begining "Marri-Wana" was a non-problem in Québec and nobody cared if it were tagged as "poisonous" in 1885 to create a monopoly for the benefit of pharmacists, yet i read in December RCMP intends to keep raiding even compassionate dispensaries.

Prohibition sells too and hate-lovers/love-haters fall for it.

...a pledge to "legalize, regulate and restrict access to marijuana."

An important hint may have been given right in the previous sentence:

Speech from the Throne

« Recognizing that Canada is, fundamentally, a safe and peaceful country, the Government will continue to work to keep ALL Canadians safe, while at the same time protecting our cherished rights and freedoms.

To that end, the Government will introduce legislation that will provide greater support for survivors of domestic violence and sexual assault; that will get handguns and assault weapons off our streets; and that will legalize, regulate and restrict access to marijuana.
»

Notice the subliminal juxtaposition with violent crimes.

Good day, have fun!! =D