Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Canada - Supervised injection sites coming to Montreal, Coderre says

S.J.B.

Bluelight Crew
Supervised injection sites coming to Montreal, Coderre says
René Bruemmer
The Gazette
September 10th, 2014

The city of Montreal will see supervised drug injection sites on its territory in the near future, Mayor Denis Coderre announced Wednesday.

“Following the (2011) ruling of the Supreme Court of Canada where it was clearly stated ... that these sites are important for public health and security, it is clear this affects many people ...” Coderre said. “There will be three supervised sites because if we want to reach these people and help them, these sites are important, be they permanent or mobile.”

Supervised injection sites allow drug addicts to shoot up under medical supervision with clean needles. Last year, Montreal’s health and social services agency asked Quebec to finance four such sites and locate them at established community organizations like Cactus and Spectre de rue that help addicts. Coderre said he was in favour of that model.

Read the full story here.

Good, these sorts of sites should be in all capital cities everywhere.

Once they open up, I think I'll go try one out once, just to bask in the fact that I can.

Assuming it opens, doesn't get shit on and shut down, and stays opens, I'd love to see what the result is for the city's communities. Possibly huge step forward, as poledriver wisely mentioned: these, among other Public Health essentials, should be found in every city.

Montreal should jump at the occasion of trying to give Vancouver a run for its money. So far Van is the only city in North America where such a facility is tacitly ignored by the authorities.

This is fantastic news! And if it manages to stay open indefinitely, I'm confident that it will end up saving countless lives.