• Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Canada is not ready to test for stoned drivers says B.C. MP

poledriver

Bluelighter
Canada is not ready to test for stoned drivers says B.C. MP

According to criminal defense lawyers, saliva tests are notoriously unreliable in court because the effects of THC are proven to stay in the body for more than 30 days.

To combat this the federal government announced they would implement a two part roadside testing process, which involves a more reliable blood test following a positive saliva test. But according to South Okanagan—West Kootenay NDP Member of Parliament Richard Cannings, that blood test for THC poses serious issues.

Cannings spoke at length last week in the House of Commons regarding what he says is a troubling aspect of Bill C-46 involving roadside testing drivers for cannabis impairment.

According to Cannings, the roadside testing method the federal government plans to implement is flawed.

“I sat on the justice committee while we were discussing this and the basic facts are that you can test for THC in the blood, but there is no relation between the amount of THC in your bloodstream and your impairment,” said Cannings from the House of Commons in Ottawa.

“Anyone who uses marijuana on a regular basis will have chronic levels of THC in their blood and will test positive to a roadside test but it has no relationship to whether they are impaired at that exact moment.”

Roadside testing that looks for THC, the psychoactive ingredient in marijuana, in the blood will essentially turn anyone who has legally smoked marijuana in the past week into a criminal as soon as they sit behind the wheel.

Cont -

https://www.kelownanow.com/news/new...5301709568974_1405301709568974#fec17bd2a65bec

Yeah, I predict that any convictions based on THC blood content will be thrown out by thr courts before long. The government is enacting this law, I think, because they don't want to seem too "pro-marijuana" as they are pushing to legalize it. If the courts nix this law, I don't think the Liberals will be too miffed about it.