• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Canada - COVID-19 pandemic a ‘boon’ for legal cannabis in Canada as marijuana industry turns two

S.J.B.

Bluelight Crew
COVID-19 pandemic a ‘boon’ for legal cannabis in Canada as marijuana industry turns two
Jasmine Pazzano
Global News
October 17th, 2020
Canada’s legal marijuana industry is celebrating a jump in sales, more brick-and-mortar stores and competitive pricing as it celebrates two years in business.

Since Canada legalized recreational marijuana on Oct. 17, 2018, legal sellers and producers have struggled to compete with the black market, but there have been recent gains in the licensed industry.

The change? The coronavirus pandemic, says retail marketing expert David Soberman.

“It’s been a boon for the legal industry,” said Soberman, a professor of marketing at the University of Toronto.

In July, licensed marijuana stores sold more than $231 million in product — a 15-per cent increase from June’s sales — marking the biggest monthly jump since the country legalized cannabis.
Read the full story here.

Reactions: CFC
Interesting.

I know of someone who works for a black market distributor as a delivery driver. They had their hours cut drastically in March when the plague hit to the point that they weren't able to pay their bills. Sucks when you can't apply for CERB or EI.

I do wonder if politicians in the UK are paying any attention to these successful legalization schemes in North America...

I do wonder if politicians in the UK are paying any attention to these successful legalization schemes in North America...

You'd definitely imagine (hope) they are - if anything's gonna suddenly make it a good idea in their eyes it's the promise of £££, especially given the present dire financial circumstances

C'mon Boris - it's time - you know it man - free the fuckin weed

• Haha
Reactions: CFC
2020 I am on track to buy zero grams of weed from the legal outlets and god knows how many illegal ounces. I don't smoke illegal for the price, its for the quality. I have more money for weed and other drugs since the I haven't been to a bar/club/concert/movie or fucking anything in 9 months. I probably bought more bottles of booze during pandemic too.

I don't smoke illegal for the price, its for the quality.

Is legal weed always less good than black market weed? I don't touch the stuff so I wouldn't know...though all my mates who smoke copious amounts mostly smoke black market. Then again, they're needing to buy stupid amounts like QPs at a time so they're sort of stuck going black market because of quantities.

Is legal weed always less good than black market weed? I don't touch the stuff so I wouldn't know...though all my mates who smoke copious amounts mostly smoke black market. Then again, they're needing to buy stupid amounts like QPs at a time so they're sort of stuck going black market because of quantities.
Depends where you are. Legal weed in USA is great. In Canada these companies all focused on producing as much as fast as they can to make stockholders happy