• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Can you recommend a beg. photography camera?

PortalFloyd

Bluelighter
I'm planning to take black & white photography class for college this coming fall. I'm required to have a 35 mm camera for the class, and I found this

1689_2.png

It's a 35 mm with SLR for $320, would this be a good beginner's camera? I'm looking around $300, maybe $350, with SLR to spend if anyone has any recommendations. I looked at Canon but they're very expensive.

Try Minolta X-700 or Pentax ME Super / Super A. Both are just as good as Nikon/Cannon SLRs and cost about 100-150$ with lens.

Try Minolta X-700 or Pentax ME Super / Super A. Both are just as good as Nikon/Cannon SLRs and cost about 100-150$ with lens.

I'll look into both of those. The Pentax looks so vintage. I actually looked at some older models and found really decent prices. What specifics should I be looking for? I do want to make an investment in this camera.

Last edited:
Fujifilm FinePix S6800

Fujifilm-FinePix-S6800-Compact-Camera-2.jpg

Here are some stats:

16MP BSI CMOS Sensor for outstanding low light, HD movie and continuous shooting performance. High quality Fujinon 30x Optical zoom (24-720mm) with image stabilization, dual zoom control and 60x Intelligent Digital Zoom. Full HD movies with HDMI port. High Speed continuous shooting 8fps at full resolution. Get creative with 6 new artistic filters.

Price: $199.00

I've used it in the past and was very impressed with it. Fujifilm cameras have done right by me and the price is great.

But is it 35mm? I think that the OP requires a 35mm camera, which are pretty rare on the ground, these days. In fact, I wonder if any companies still make them?

I would suggest borrowing someone's old film SLR. There are a lot lying around. If you're going to take an intro class the most basic ones are the best, so long as they are working completely. Forget those folks that will poke fun at you. It will allow you to get acquainted with the very basic functions.

You'll get a better idea about what you look for in a camera, before you buy your own. I had a Rebel and then an F90X and realized I liked the weight and stability of the latter. I bought neither (they were hand-me-downs), but I would have bought the Rebel if I were faced with a choice in the beginning, because it looks nicer and most people dig it. There are also small things, like the sounds that the cameras make, that will appeal (or not) to you.

I used to have a Nikon 35mm SLR camera 7 years ago but unfortunately its gone. $285 camera too. So I thought I would stick with Nikon again.

"Students to supply their own adjustable camera, (35mm or 120) film and print paper."

Have no idea what 120 is? I'm looking for a 35mm though. I've seen some for $500 from Nikon and Canon. But I found some between $100 or $170 used and $280+ minimum new. So I'm not sure whether to get a more vintage camera, or to buy new.

But is it 35mm? I think that the OP requires a 35mm camera, which are pretty rare on the ground, these days. In fact, I wonder if any companies still make them?

Whoops, I didn't see the 35mm specs.

In that case, I recommend this bad boy:

Vivitar V3800N 35mm SLR

41W7MKQZZFL._SY300_.jpg

.Easy-to-use manual single-lens reflex camera--great for beginning photographers
.Complete with 28-70mm f3.4 to f4.8 lens
.Bright viewfinder with split image focusing and 3-LED display
.Depth of field preview and multiple exposure capability
.Hot shoe with x-contact for flash photography, synchronized at 1/125 second or slower

I've never used it myself, but I have heard good things. And it retails for around $200.00.

120 is a film size which is typically 2 1/4" x 2 1/4", it is called medium formate. then there is large formate which starts at 4" x 5" as the film or plate size.

i think you totally have the right idea with picking up an older, simple, all manual NIKON camera!! the most important part of going with a NIKON is the lenses, NIKON optics are and have been really wonderful. you should be able to find all types of great older (80's-90's)NIKON bodies and lenses on ebay that fall right into your price range. almost all nikor lenses are interchangeable with different body styles. the older lenses are mostly fixed meaning no zoom they make great images. a 28mm f2.8 and a 50mm f2.8 would be two really good lens to start out with

an older Pentex would be good to and on the cheap too... . it is great that you are taking a black and white "film" class!!

^ This, when you are shooting actual film the camera itself doesn't make all that much difference, so long as the seals are good on it and you don't get any light leak. It sounds like it'd be an easy fix if you got one with a damaged seal, it's not. So I'd say if you buy used, make sure you can give a good inspection first.

Beyond that, the lens usually makes it or breaks it, and Nikon is nice because to my knowledge all their lenses are completely interchangeable. For starting out, I'd recommend the fastest normal lens you can afford. (Normal meaning non telescopic, regular field of vision. / Fast meaning widest aperture [lowest f-stop].) This gives you awesome capabilities for altering field of depth in your photos, and opening up the aperture, you can get amazing low light shots with minimal film grain.

Just understand that most of this stuff is learned though doing, and don't become discouraged, your first few rolls of photos in all likelihood are going to suck. Keeping a log of what shutter speed and aperture, and in what conditions you were shooting is great. Then you can review and know how to better adjust.

You probably already knew a lot of this, but it's just easy to go in thinking it will be similar to the point and shoot ease the digital era has many 'photographers' used to. Not even the same league, but well worth the reward once you get it down.

^ This, when you are shooting actual film the camera itself doesn't make all that much difference, so long as the seals are good on it and you don't get any light leak. It sounds like it'd be an easy fix if you got one with a damaged seal, it's not. So I'd say if you buy used, make sure you can give a good inspection first.

Beyond that, the lens usually makes it or breaks it, and Nikon is nice because to my knowledge all their lenses are completely interchangeable. For starting out, I'd recommend the fastest normal lens you can afford. (Normal meaning non telescopic, regular field of vision. / Fast meaning widest aperture [lowest f-stop].) This gives you awesome capabilities for altering field of depth in your photos, and opening up the aperture, you can get amazing low light shots with minimal film grain.

Just understand that most of this stuff is learned though doing, and don't become discouraged, your first few rolls of photos in all likelihood are going to suck. Keeping a log of what shutter speed and aperture, and in what conditions you were shooting is great. Then you can review and know how to better adjust.

You probably already knew a lot of this, but it's just easy to go in thinking it will be similar to the point and shoot ease the digital era has many 'photographers' used to. Not even the same league, but well worth the reward once you get it down.

I haven't taken black & white photography since high school, like 8 years ago so I remember nothing about photography. I just knew at the time I needed/wanted a nice 35 mm camera. So I went to Best Buy and bought the Nikon. We did a pinhole camera in the beginning of that course and I remember kicking ass at that, I had this great picture of a ladder rested up against a brick wall. When it came to the dark room though, I always had trouble developing my film. I never had the picture lined up right for the film? Does that make sense.

I actually probably will buy the new Nikon, just because I don't know if I want to risk a used camera. The Nikon I looked at is like $320.

I'm actually hoping to turn this into a hobby. I'm just now going back to school in the fall so I need to stay busy. Do you guys shoot like daily/weekly?