Can you find out if you have been flagged

Lonestar

Greenlighter
I would like to know if there is a way to find out if a pharmacy has flagged you.

Sometimes when I go to CVS, show them my script, they take the script, look it up and then say we can't fill this, I ask why, they say they don't carry it. It is Norco 10/325 and I know everyone has that!

I think CVS has my name flagged and I want to find out!

The pharmacist may have "flagged" you as someone trying to fill fraudulent scripts or "doctor shop." Many times a pharmacist will call the doctor to verify the script, or they will simply call LE (although the doctor is usually called first), but most will simply refuse to fill the script.

It is a common med but if your doctor writes it as Norco and does not allow for substitution, then they may not stock it and therefore cannot fill it. If your doctor has not written the Rx this way, then it is more than likely that CVS has you on their list of "Do Not Fill."

^ MK, that's a good point.

Lonestar, examine the script and see if the Dispense as Written (DAW) box is checked. If it is, the script must not be filled with generics, and it really may be true that the pharmacy doesn't stock the tradename version of Norcos...

I was convicted on a script fraud charge now on even an asprin prescription it says in black letters "VERIFY ALL CONTROLLED SUBSTANCES". I hope this helps I dont know if it is the same if a pharmacist says something.

The RX2000 software every CVS/Pharmacy uses links patient profiles by individual store, and if they want to, by the entire company. Meaning:

If you go into store #1000 in Washington D.C. to fill a script, they can find you if you have filled prescriptions at that store before. If they don't see you, they will add you as a new patient and make a new profile for you. But if you have already filled prescriptions in the past at a CVS/Pharmacy in New York City, New York, it would be possible for the CVS/Pharmacy in D.C. to look you up in their national database and find your profile from NYC, NY, and add your new Rx onto that one to keep it all in one place.

Also, a patient profile on RX2000 software has a spot for 'Notes'. Any Pharmacist, Pharmacy Technician or Pharmacy Service Associate can add anything they want about a particular patient here. Some staff use it inappropriately (they save terms like 'really hot' and 'total bitch' etc), while others use it to flag pateints who have given problems before or to save requests of patients (a legitimate use is when a Pharmacist adds "Allergy to Red Dye #7" or "Prescriptions for this patient only to be picked up by the patient themself, unless the patient specifically states otherwise"). If a patient has a history of abusive behavior towards staff, or has tried to say their count was off of pills, etc that can be added in the Notes section of their patient profile.

Also, some CVS/Pharmacy Pharmacists simply refuse to fill certain prescriptions, or all CII opioid scripts (One Pharmacist I heard about didn't order or fill any CII drugs to avoid the hassle). Sometimes if a person is thought to be a drug-seeker, the pharmacist will tell the Tech or Service Technician to tell the patient we don't have any in stock (especially with high count OxyContin 80mg scripts).

Like another poster said, if your doctor checked the DAW box, or signed above the line that says 'Dispense As Written Only', they can only dispense you brand name medication, which CVS/Pharmacy specifically tries to avoid, so they often do not have brand meds on hand unless a regular customer requests it.

To find out, you could try to find a sympathetic Pharmacy Tech or Service Tech to look in your profile under 'Notes' and tell you, but most likely they won't. Take your business elsewhere if it isn't your doc writing DAW.

give this a try

next time you go there[thats if you do now] if they say they don't have it,simply ask them to order it for you,it only takes a few days,well,depending on the pharm. If they say they don't do that,there full of shit . Could be a slight chance that the script. had the D.A.W written in the box,and they didn't have brand name.

Is that RX2000 software used by just CVS or is the data shared amongst many different pharmacies? I read an article recently that said incentives will soon be offered to doctors who submit prescriptions electronically. And if they do that, I fear that most prescription data will be shared and it will become extremely difficult to fill different prescriptions written by different doctors at different pharmacies.

^^ or ask if there is another store that has them available they can tell you this as well :)

Is that RX2000 software used by just CVS or is the data shared amongst many different pharmacies? I read an article recently that said incentives will soon be offered to doctors who submit prescriptions electronically. And if they do that, I fear that most prescription data will be shared and it will become extremely difficult to fill different prescriptions written by different doctors at different pharmacies.
CVS can't look up what you've filled at other pharmacies. There is not national pharmacy database or anything like that... except within a chain company.

Tell the person taking your script to "please keep my profile private and not have it shared between stores." If you say this to the script taker, they should mark a "Y" in the privacy field of the requesting customer's "profile" in the computer. This field is automatically skipped over by the pharmacy's software program and can be altered only if the pharmacy employee goes back and edits the patient's profile. The employees are not instructed to ask if the customer wants it, and only to change it if the customer requests so. But, if you never know about it, you can't request it. Doing this doesn't do all that much; it's only that other CVS pharmacies (all over the nation) can't get access to your profile. It is retained at that store only. If you have a prescription transferred, you'll have to request the same thing at the new CVS pharmacy. I imagine other chains have this feature too, but I don't know.

If they told you they are out of Norco 10/325's then they probably are. But they can order it. If they tell you they can't order it either, you've got problems. Try this if you can: go to another CVS in your city. Try the busiest one in the city. See if they tell you the same thing. If so, they wrote something in your "NOTES" field.

Some pharmacists don't read the notes, however. They just tend to remember you. Try to go when that pharmacist isn't there.

Aye, like Burnt says, most pharmacy staff at CVS don't read the Notes section, or use it. The only time I've seen it used is when a patient is being belligerant that you 'make a note in their file' about something, or if a person wants to know if what they've asked be added has been added. Sometimes if a customer is overtly shady (obviously intoxicated, requesting to buy packs of needles with a CII rx, etc) they will look it up.

Otherwise, most people (Pharmacists, Pharmacy Technicians and Pharmacy Service Associates) ignore the Notes.

RX2000 is CVS only as far as I know.

There is no national prescription database. There are a lot of politician and law enforcement proponents of this system, they think a nationwide database of every prescription filed anywhere in the country is a good idea. From working in a pharmacy that only has to manage its own in-chain software, it sounds like a nightmare.

But, even if a national database were instituted, doctor shopping would go down, and prescription fraud would go up. The process of doctoring phony prescriptions is much easier than youd imagine.