• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opioids Can using opiates such as codeine dhc or oxycodone make your hair fall out or stop it from growing?

chrisp1995

Bluelighter
I know this is a bit of a mad question but i have recently noticed my hair line has went back a touch and went slightly thinner in one area, and has only recently started as i’ve always had a strong hairline, but since i have been doing a lot of these opioids or benzodiazepines daily for the last 1/2 years i feel like it could of stopped my hair growth or messed with the production of my hair follicles is this true or could this happen ?? cheers guys

Not an expert on this but if anything I would think opiates would prevent hair loss as they reduce testosterone, I bet you google knows more

Not an expert on this but if anything I would think opiates would prevent hair loss as they reduce testosterone, I bet you google knows more
How would you work that i thought they lower your testosterone so would that not lower your hair growth production?, do you mind explaining more to me i am quite a newby with all this so don’t really understand the actual full effects of what the testosterone would cause if reduced, i have searched google for this on opiate and hair loss and i can’t find much just says certain pain killers can cause hair loss but nothing more in depth really concerned over it as i enjoy doing them but don’t want the hair to stop growing haha! any more info would be great thank you

I mean maybe they do I but as far as balding on your head I believe that's usually caused by higher levels of testosterone

Yea just looked it up and I guess both high and low levels can cause baldness, said something about fluctuating being bad so yea id say potentially could be whats causing your problems

I mean maybe they do I but as far as balding on your head I believe that's usually caused by higher levels of testosterone
hmm i want that to be true so bad i have had to stop taking codeine and i really enjoy it as google is saying the lower levels of testosterone cause hair loss on the body and the scalp 🤦‍♂️ can’t believe it haha nightmare

Depending on your age it could just be the start of male pattern baldness and is a coincidence. If it is then it would have started to happen with high or low test regardless.

It's definitely not a common symptom. I've never heard of such a thing happening, but it does make some sense. Chronic Opioid use is known to lower testosterone levels in men. This translates often into smaller testicles, lower libido and so on, but I've never heard of it actually causing hair to fall out. I'm really not sure though.

It's definitely not a common symptom. I've never heard of such a thing happening, but it does make some sense. Chronic Opioid use is known to lower testosterone levels in men. This translates often into smaller testicles, lower libido and so on, but I've never heard of it actually causing hair to fall out. I'm really not sure though.
I know same it’s quite a interesting question i would like to know the science behind it do you think this would be possible i have stopped using them temporary just incase it does cause effect in my hair for the time being hopefully it does not because i miss having them but what do you think i can’t find any research on it what so ever apart from lower testosterone but not sure if that’s enough to make hair fall out even though my hair is thick all over just tiny bit going back at hairline could just be looking to closely at it and maturing at my age of 28

what do you guys thinks here is a time line pic 1 from when i was a kid of my hairline pic 4 is now my hair line with my hair pushed back at age 28 and the other pics are all from this year at longer lengths haha cheers guys dying to have a codeine but don’t want to fuck my hair up

That's just receding hairline aging and unfortunate hair genetics, hair loss from fluctuating test would be patchy I'm pretty sure.

That's just receding hairline aging and unfortunate hair genetics, hair loss from fluctuating test would be patchy I'm pretty sure.
i have a full thick head of hair everywhere but my hairline on the left side it’s really thick almost double crown grows a lot in a week no patches what so ever