• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

can they cancel each other??

Soccertrendy

Bluelighter
ive got some really good XTC, everyone who has tried them too loves them. My mate took one last night and got nothing off it at all. Although hes taking Citalopram, im sure when i was taking both i still got high. Any idea what could cause this?? i know it wasnt a bunk pill. Its bewildering me a bit

Ahhh.. the old SSRI and MDMA issue. This is an ongoing one.

I'm not sure on the current view-point. But at one stage it was believed that pre-loading with SSRIs completely blocked, or at least greatly diminished the effects of MDMA. I believe this school of thought was based on the idea that SSRIs have a higher affinity for the SRT than MDMA does.

I also know, that citalopram is not effectively absorbed into the brains of certain patients. Some sort of reverse protein pump that removes certain SSRIs from the brain before they can have an effect on SRT. So - while your friend might not be affected by this "reverse pump" and thus achieve higher brain-citalopram levels which will in turn displace or block MDMA from effecting the SRT, you may be affected by it, causes you to have lower levels and thus less of an effect of the SSRI on your SRTs. I can't remember the exact name or nature of the "pump", I will have a look for some references online. But I remember reading that those affected by it got little or no benefit from citalopram - but when they switched to an SSRI that was not a substrate for this pump (e.g. fluoxetine) they did note increased effects from the SSRI.

It's been a long time from I've read much on the pharmacology of MDxx type drugs - so I'm unsure on what the current school of thought is.

But hey - thats my two pence.

Stay safe. Much love.

Last edited:
Ahhh.. the old SSRI and MDMA issue. This is an ongoing one.

I'm not sure on the current view-point. But at one stage it was believed that pre-loading with SSRIs completely blocked, or at least greatly diminished the effects of MDMA. I believe this school of thought was based on the idea that SSRIs have a higher affinity for the SRT than MDMA does.

I also know, that citalopram is not effectively absorbed into the brains of certain patients. Some sort of reverse protein pump that removes certain SSRIs from the brain before they can have an effect on SRT. So - while your friend might not be affected by this "reverse pump" and thus achieve higher brain-citalopram levels which will in turn displace or block MDMA from effecting the SRT, you may be affected by it, causes you to have lower levels and thus less of an effect of the SSRI on your SRTs. I can't remember the exact name or nature of the "pump", I will have a look for some references online. But I remember reading that those affected by it got little or no benefit from citalopram - but when they switched to an SSRI that was not a substrate for this pump (e.g. fluoxetine) they did note increased effects from the SSRI.

It's been a long time from I've read much on the pharmacology of MDxx type drugs - so I'm unsure on what the current school of thought is.

But hey - thats my two pence.

Stay safe. Much love.

That would make perfect sense!! As i didnt feel much effects from citalopram and was subsequently moved onto fluexotine and then sertraline (anyone any info on this)??

Well I can second that (or "third" it). I was on citalopram and it did jack shit. Then I moved to sertraline which made me psychotic, then to fluoxetine which did the trick nicely :).
There was a step-by-step picture guide on how the displacement/inhibition of MDMA on the SRT worked via SSRIs on the dancesafe site. But I cant find it anymore (wahhhhhhhh !!! ='[ )

I will have a look for some references. But its saturday and I have shopping to do (*wink wink*). So i could be a while replying.

SS. ML <3

Well I can second that (or "third" it). I was on citalopram and it did jack shit. Then I moved to sertraline which made me psychotic, then to fluoxetine which did the trick nicely :).
There was a step-by-step picture guide on how the displacement/inhibition of MDMA on the SRT worked via SSRIs on the dancesafe site. But I cant find it anymore (wahhhhhhhh !!! ='[ )

I will have a look for some references. But its saturday and I have shopping to do (*wink wink*). So i could be a while replying.

SS. ML <3

I would really appreciate that mate, as the last thing i want is my mate thinking i sold him a fake pill. i feel like a pure cunt as i told him that i took them on citalopram. I'd also love more info on what sertraline done to you as ive just got the prescription and havent started taking them yet. last thing i need is to be psycotic (what do you men by psycotic btw?)

Thanks for replying mate

SSRI's can dull the experience of MDMA, so that was likely the problem.