• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Can street MDMA cause chemical colitis?

lysergicgod

Greenlighter
Guys,

As per subject. I know that pure MDMA is unlikely to cause any damage to the colon. But I was wondering whether street MDMA might contains solvents which might contribute to a colon inflamation (chemical colitis).

If the MDMA was ingested in capsules, theoretically, could any typical impurities/solvent traces lead to chemical colitis after long term use (> 1y, say 2g/month exposure). What about plugging?

I know that stuff like soap enemas can cause chemical colitis and that sounds less harsh than plugging drugs...

Thx!

Maybe, amphetamine abuse is known to contribute to irritable bowel syndrome.
It's not solvent impurities that cause it though. It's the nature of the beast.

Yes, but ibs has no organic causes, the colon is physically intact. There can be neurological causes to ibs, so It's reasonable that amphetamines might cause or worsen the condition.

I'm thinking about physicagl damage to the colon. Inflations and so forth. I'm wondering if there is any research at all about these issues. It's probably tricky since it would involve giving a colonoscopy to a significant amount of drug users...

Unless you're regularly plugging huge quantities (multiple grams at once) you should be just fine, I haven't heard any reports of recreatinal usage being physically damaging to the bowels/intestines.

I have Crohn's disease and MDMA can make me have flair ups. Usually this just means I can't lean on a fart for a few days, but it can also come in cramps and a lot of pain. I don't know if this is helpful information re: chemical colitus, especially as simple Ibruprofen OTC will give me a flair up so bad I will be bed ridden for a few days, but maybe it's helpful to know that it's one of my triggers and can therefore affect certain users bowels in different ways? Ketamine is also pretty bad for me if I don't spit the drip, but I have a feeling this is largely down to impurities in the batches. Perhaps I should do a full post with the effects of each drug on my Crohn's disease as i've found it very hard to approach recreational drugs from a harm reduction standpoint as there is simply no data available.

I think it would be a great service to the community if you could write about your experience with crohn and recreational drugs. There is very little information out there about this sort of thing.

Actually I would have thought that mdma would ease the crohn's disease symptoms due to its immunosuppressants effect. I'm a bit surprised you experience negative reactions.

Did you start using recreational drugs after your diagnosis?

I get wicked gas and cramps in my gut when I eat MDMA, I get the same issues from amphetamine and MDPV and other stimulants, but to a much greater degree with molly. The solution (for me at least) seems to be snorting it and avoiding nasal drip. Just my 0.02

Serotonin is involved to a large extent in gastric processes and a good portion of serotonin receptors are in your gut and intestines. It wouldn't suprise me if tryptamines, LSD/LSA, shrooms, 2Cs/DOx, etc all caused gastric wierdness too.

I think it would be a great service to the community if you could write about your experience with crohn and recreational drugs. There is very little information out there about this sort of thing.

Actually I would have thought that mdma would ease the crohn's disease symptoms due to its immunosuppressants effect. I'm a bit surprised you experience negative reactions.

Did you start using recreational drugs after your diagnosis?

I was diagnosed when I was 20, and I started using cannabis occasionally at 17 and other drugs at university when I was 18. I think the stimulant properties of MDMA, for me, far outweighed any benefit I might have gained from its immunosuppresant qualities. Even if I drink a strong coffee I can have a very negative reaction. I didn't have such a bad reaction to MDMA when I was already immunosuppressed (on prednisone), but I felt very run down for the week afterwards, like most people do but probably a little worse.

It is hard to differentiate what is me and what is the crohn's. For instance when I take MDMA it takes me about 20-30 minutes longer than everyone else to come up and once i'm up I stay properly up for about an hour after everyone else comes down. I also tend to go straight from a few yawns and stretches, with a little bit of shivering, straight into fully blown out of it. Drugs also do not work as well on me after the first few uses. This is obviously true of everyone, but the amount I have to increase my dose is drastic (so I don't do it more than once a year if that anymore). With alcohol it got to the point where I was drinking almost a litre of vodka before a night out even begun, and it would take me about 65 units+ to black out, so there is definitely some absorbtion problems. I am insanely lightweight until the first few uses of any substance have passed too, more so than the average user. The first few times I did pills I only took one or one and a half and this was more than enough for me to be on the ceiling for 5-6 hours. Then the next few times after that I was having to take 5-7. This seems to make dosing really hard for me until I have developed a tollerance, and then I can't dose enough safely.

One thing I can say to any Crohn's sufferers reading this is that cannabis is very good at settling my stomach, keeping my appetite high enough, and as an added bonus it has a nice anti-depressent effect for when you're stuck at home and you only just have time to smoke a J between toilet visits. Thankfully I am on infliximaib now, and this is a wonder drug, so i'm afraid I shant be using any recreational drugs apart from cannabis and maybe a few keys of ket once or twice a year for the foreseeable future for fear of messing the positivity up.

These things are all pretty common to other people, but seem to be exacerbated by crohn's. I will try and do a full and comprensive write up on my experience at some point this week, where should I post it?

Serotonin is involved to a large extent in gastric processes and a good portion of serotonin receptors are in your gut and intestines. It wouldn't suprise me if tryptamines, LSD/LSA, shrooms, 2Cs/DOx, etc all caused gastric wierdness too.

Shrooms upset me quite badly, to the point that it entirely ruined the trip and I won't go near them again. I was fine on 2Cs, apart from the body load and a little bit of throwing up, but those are standard effects. I'm not sure if the dose with 2Cs or LSD ever goes high enough to cause gastric discomfort, but then the gastric discomfort I get is generally caused by my colon attacking whatever substance i've ingested as a foreign body, causing inflammation and cramping, rather than by just the serotonin receptors.

Mdma and Meth have both been linked to intestinal failure, although it is rare.
I have had severe intestinal problems during my recovery from mdma.
I think I may have had serotonin syndrome, but I remember that my stomach was SWOLLEN with air and I was afraid my liver was going to burst!
It felt like I had eaten a bag of rocks....and I could feel them moving all the way through my bowel tract. I really thought I was going to die that night. Somehow, I made it through.
In the 6 months since, my intestines STILL do not feel the same, although the agony of eating food seemed to taper off around the 3 month mark.

I have a friend that did too many shrooms and also had intestinal failure. He had a section of 'telescoping' intestine removed, as well as a stricture in his large intestines left in place. He also had anxiety associated with his digestion for over a year!

Another friend of mine did X and shrooms, and the next day had his appendix taken out due to extreme intestinal pain.

The serotonin system exists primarily for digestion. The nerves that these drugs are playing with exist as the connection between the brain and the gut. That is why these drugs have such a visceral nature about them.

Do I think plugging is a bad idea?
No.

I doubt there is any direct risk to the colon. Plug away.

BUT, repeated dosing or long term use of MDMA, or other serotonergic agents, CAN cause major problems with the process of digestion. This can include severe pain, cramping, and complete loss of motility! Oh yeah...and tons of anxiety.

Just research Chron's or IBS. Anxiety and depression are VERY common.
The doctors really don't understand the psychology of these 'gut' disorders very well. The intestines are known as 'the second brain'.

I have come to believe this without a doubt. I thought I should share...

I think that MDMA is absorbed very high up in the digestive system, maybe even as high as the stomach and so the MDMA will not "pass by" the effected area of the bowel when swallowed. If this is true, then plugging is giving your bowel "physical" exposure to MDMA which is entirely unnecessary. Of course, its possible that exposure to MDMA via the blood makes this point meaningless.

I'm with Mr Smokes Blunts on the 2Cs; I don't think it is the seratonin that causes problems, at least immediately. However, I'm now having terrible problems a week after a bomb of 2CB. Can't say if its the cause and I'll have to test it out some time soon because the 2CB trip was one of the greatest experiences I've ever had. But if I get this as a backlash each time, then its not really worth it.

Hey guys.
I know that I am posting in a topic that is like 2 years old but it may help.
About a year ago(April 2012) I started taking MDMA in the safest way I could. So basically, waiting 1 month or more, only one 100mg dose with one redrop (exceptionally two, the most I did was 300mg in a night), waiting for the effets to come.
In October 2012 problems started. I had some strange bowels sounds that were quite annoying while in class for example but nothing more, only the bowels making sounds . It worried me a little though . Anyway, I continued taking it but in November I had some strange MDMA bad experience that worsened the symtpoms . You can read it by searching for my posts. So as I was saying, since November, things got worse. I started experiencing bowels discomfort. From months to months, things got worse, and when I went to the lab , nothing. My Dr diagnosticed me with IBS yesterday, but it may aswell be something worse. He told me to eat better, with some IBS-proof diet, then if it's better in 10 days(when my festival starts), I only have IBS and don't have to worry about anything else but the food I eat etc
I think that MDMA is the cause of my IBS. Not the direct cause, I think I always had fragile bowels, but the MDMA is the thing that actually revealed it. May be the stress too because it was the year of my "big" exams.
Today, I'm in a quite bad state. Toilets too often, and also, bowels pain. Do you think that MDMA could be the cause? I read that because it plays with serotonin levels, and the link between serotonin neurotransmitters, it can cause these symptoms, but for quite a long time, with no abuse? I don't know if it's this, or the stress as I experience some mild depression since a few months .
Anyway I didn't took MDMA since November. I am really tempted to take it at a festival I'll soon go; with some immodium to temporary solve the D problems while rolling. Also thought of using 6-APDB(nose, not eating it as It'd go to the stomach) and some 3-MMC. Will be very careful with the alcool as it worsen my symptoms and I usually have D the day after. If I take some immodium and something to protect my stomach, could this be possible ?
Thanks for reading. Hope this message can be useful, for me with your answers but for the others suffering from the same thing aswell

Last edited:
it seems unlikely if your use was moderate. IBS does develop "spontaneously" in some individuals. I would put more blame on the stress than the mdma.

^this. I mean absolute worst case bad MDMA would more likely lead to cancer than IBS, safrole is a weak carcinogen. My money is on MDMA causing anxiety and that pushing your body over the edge.

Funnily enough: estragole (methylchavicol) is a carcinogen in mice but not in humans. Perhaps the same holds for safrole, but IMO the real reason it was restricted is the delicious methylendioxypropyl synthon... the amount of safrole in a root beer would be trivial.