• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Can someone give me some solid information about N-Butanol? It's very important

AmidoneCA

Greenlighter
Hi, I have found conflicting information, and not much of it, about N-butanol. Basically what I want to know is:

-The metabolites it truly breaks down into.

-Comparison to 2-Methyl-2-Butanol.

-Potency compared to Alcohol (drinking ethanol)

-Danger/Toxicity Compared to Alcohol (drinking ethanol)

-What quality of N-butanol is "safe" to consume and what should someone look out for in terms of "unsafe" or more dangerous effects/toxicity.

-Length of experience as well as hangover compared to alcohol

- Cross tolerance with benzodiazepines, barbiturates

-Does it possess anticonvulsant properties similar to benzos/barbs etc.

If you can give me any of this information in the forum on it, I'd be extremely grateful. My inbox is loaded right now so I probably won't be able to clear it out until later. Plus I think it should be up for people to read in case they need to know these things for harm reduction. I see a lot about other alcohols but not much about these ones. Thanks to Hammilton for doing many of these informative posts and the others who have contributed.

N-butanol is a primary alcohol. It's about 6 to 8 times stronger than ethanol. N-butanol is safest when distilled over a retort or distillation flask.
N-butanol is also good in a laboratory as a lab solvent, similar to ethanol.
The metabolites of N-butanol are butyraldehyde and butyric acid by alcohol dehydrogenase.
Butyraldehyde(butanol metabolite) is far less toxic than acetaldehyde(ethanol metabolite).
Butyric acid can then turn to carbon dioxide and water by the beta oxidation pathway.
Butyric acid is also utilized by mitochondria, particularly in colonocytes and by the liver, to generate adenosine triphosphate (ATP) during fatty acid metabolism.