• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Can regular GHB use disrupt sleep?

PhenibutFriday

Greenlighter
Hi there

I have read Mr.Gs post on DF about GHB and the sleep disruption it causes when taken too close to bedtime.

I use GHB 5-6 times a week in the evening. About 6-8ml (3-4g) spread out over 2-3 hours with the last dose no later than 21:30 and I'll go to bed usually at 00:00-0:30

From what i understand this should rule out that the stimulant after effect is disrupting sleep. The reason I'm asking is i have noticed that for the last months i rarely sleep more than 6h and sometimes wake up around 3am. I usually don't have much difficulty falling asleep again but it almost feels like I'm trying to fall asleep after drinking a cup of coffee.

Could it be that regualr ghb use causes a constant mildly stimulant effect that's being the culprit? I have to add that i just quit a one year kratom habit 9 days ago. I know from expirience that Kratom wds can disrupt sleep aswell, however i feel like the wds were mostly gone by day 5.

Sorry for the not so scientific descriptions ;)

GHB's rebound effect can certainly disrupt sleep.

it will wake you up in the same way alcohol would after heavy drinking

as your CNS becomes more active following the GABA agonism, you can expect your brain to essentially wake up.

Of course i have no doubt about that. But from what i have read the rebound effect should have worn off after 2-3h.

So if GHB is still disruptive to ones sleep even 6h after consumption does that mean WD's are causing this even at such a low dose and not the rebound?

If this is true surely that means a person taking xyrem/ghb for sleep (consuming at least 2x the amount) won't be able to sleep at all without it. (even if the original cause of their insomnia was magically cured).

Alright, so for the past two days i abstained from GHB. However my sleep schedule hasn't changed one bit in this time. I still wake up at 5:50 each morning like clockwork.

I'm starting to think something else is causing this or maybe my body simply doesn't require more sleep.

Totally, if it is in fact GHB that's causing me to sleep less it must be something that isn't acute as you said since i ruled out the rebound effect.

But the only non acute things i can think of are:

1. WD's like a 24/7 GHB addict would experience when stopping causing him to be unable to sleep properly for a couple of days maybe.

2. Longer term psychological issues caused by the drug like depression, anxiety disorders etc.

I think 1. is very unlikely given the amount i used.

And 2. I feel way more at ease and positive than I did 1 year ago.