• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Can prolonged use of percocet & vicodin cause high blood pressure?

Kabuhtu

Greenlighter
So, I've been on a bit of a bender for the last week. Ive been snorting aprrox 40-50 mg of oxycodone or hydrocodone and 1200-3500mg of tylenol. Not getting much sleep as I have to work every week day from 730a-5p. 3 nights ago I didn't go to sleep at all. 2 nights ago I managed to get 2-4 hours(can't remember exactly) of sleep. So yesterday I did one 10mg hydro then left for a raffle drawing around 6 pm. At the raffle drawing I was convinced I was ODing but remembered I only did one 10mg since 4am and decided I was ha ing a panic attack. Left the raffle and went home. At home I was convinced I couldn't breathe correctly and might die if I did more oxy or went to sleep. My SO determined I was going through extreme sleep deprivation because of my paranoia and anxiety attack and gave me a melatonin. I slept for approx. 12 hours. I am awake now and feeling better but NOW I'm exhibiting symptoms of high blood pressure. Is this because of the opiates? I slept for 12 hours so all my symptoms of sleep deprivation should have gone away by now.

I was planning to plug for the first time today and I really want to know if it's safe or if I have done too much? I'm a "beginner" here btw. And thanks in advance for the responses!

Welcome to BL! :)

This is a sign you either need to take a good long break or stop using opioids entirely. The APAP is definitely going to be hard on your body. As these drugs wear off, if you notice your BP increasing significantly, it is a sign dependency is developing. It also sounds like you may have been experiencing a bit of a panic attack though.

At the very least, try taking a week off and see how you feel. That will give you a good idea of what your level of dependency is at.

How long has it been since you first started using this stuff? With what frequency have you been using the dosages you mentioned, like daily continuously or just a certain amount of days per week/month?

I have been using opiates for the last 2 months. But usually with 3 days using and a 3-4 day break. But most reverently I have been snorting for 11 days in a row(there was a 1 day break in there where I did coke and a bupe).

The doses I described are daily.

Please don’t snort stuff with APAP in it. Particularly with something like hydrocodone and oxycodone, they have higher oral BAs than intranasally.

Generally a four day break between use is the minimum of time someone needs to avoid dependency. Using only once or twice a week for most people isn’t all that practical long term though.

Anyways, it sounds like you experienced a variety of an anxiety attack. And you BP is definitely being affected by constantly switching from use to non-use back and forth all the time. That puts more stress on the body than most realize. It isn’t necessarily dangerous, but it isn’t very comfortable either.

You’re still pretty new to opioids, and you’re just getting a taste of the associated dependency and withdrawal with this. If you keep using it will only get more challenging to deal with. I’m not telling you to stop because that is totally you decision (and frankly I don’t see opioids as particularly problematic in terms of health when used properly, as in without so much APAP).

But at this point, if you want to avoid more significant symptoms, your choices are either use less frequently, no more than once every four days, stopping using entirely or engaging in more regular, maintenance style use. Of course with maintenance style use, if you discontinue down the road you’re going to have to deal with the entirety of acute withdrawal, but while you are using you’ll be stable.

Perhaps explore less habit forming drugs if this bothers you. What is it about opioids in particular that makes them desirable for you?

For me it was how they allowed me to feel content and overcome social phobia and anxiety. Using them for those purposes can be problematic though, because one begins to rely on them more and more for this purpose, as opposed to exploring other, more sustainable and healthier coping mechanisms.