View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Can NBOME's truly be safe?

Mega Absol

Greenlighter
Nbome's were my introduction to psychedelic drugs, fairly recently, too (had my first trip last November). But lately, I've been reading more and more about the potential for these drugs to cause a lot of harm, and even through I've tripped on them probably about a dozen times now, from what I've heard having experience doesn't necessarily mean that you will always be safe, even on doses you've taken before.

Are these drugs pretty much always a crap shoot for safety? Is there any way to prevent potential negative side effects?

For what it's worth, I've never experienced any particularly unpleasant effects on these drugs, although I almost always vomit during the come up and have experienced some minor muscle spasms and a bad headache once when I had taken a small amount of cocaine earlier in the night.

I've made up my mind to take a long break from psychedelics before I try my first hit of acid - which I acquired from a reliable source, so I know it will be the real thing. I'm hoping that once I try acid I won't miss tripping on nbome's, but I have had many life changing experiences on these drugs and I enjoy taking them very much. But it's not worth my life, obviously, so I'm just wondering what the best thing is to do.

Any advice?

They have a very poor safety profile. NBOMe's are one of the only chemicals where I'll be glad when they're no longer readily available.

All we know for certain is that they very easy to overdose on compared to most other psychedelics. Their safety at lower doses (aka the doses you take, have an ok trip, and feel fine after) is unknown. Could be completely safe, could still be causing minor damage that accumulates over time, who knows... Even the exact mechanism by which they kill is, as far as I know, unknown.

I would never look back man; I have access to many Nbomes but they don't even phase me. I did about 4 tabs total of 25i before I was like "Shit feels like I'm truly frying my brain!" There are many associated deaths from them, and many people I know feel that they have gotten brain damage from abusing various Nbomes. A kid choked on his own vomit and died in a parking lot on my campus last year; how would your family feel if you were him?

I'm not trying to just use scare tactics man, these are real experiences and deaths we know about. I'm sorry Nbomes were your first psychs, that's a true shame; however, I feel that once you try LSD you won't wana go back. And if the LSD isn't strong enough... you can just take more, and not worry about frying your brain or having the death of a 1970's rock star. Even at low doses, LSD is a potent drug, and in higher doses I always have soul searching spiritual experiences, something the Nbomes never offered me IME.

4 tabs is above the recommended dose, so that's not surprising.

The real questions are:
- would say 1 mg of 25i-nbome used a few times per year be dangerous? Or put differently, is there a safe dose/frequency for using nbomes?
- how are toxicity and dose related? Linear? Linear with a threshold? Some more complicated function?
- how do the other NBxx compare - is their potency as psychedelics and toxicity related and if it is how? 25i-nbome is about 16x as potent as 2c-i and 25i-nboh about 12x, so 25i-nbome is about 33% more potent as a psychedelic compared to 25i-nboh. How is the difference in toxicity related?

We don't know the answers to that, hence the big warning announcements in the OPs of NBOMe / NBOH / etc Big & Dandy threads.

A fair assumption is that increasing the doses increases the risks (the exact nature of which remain unclear), but that doesn't mean that dosing low guarantees you safety and immunity. There seem to be a lot of factors at play, maybe a big factor is the unevenness in blotter preparation, inconsistencies in absorption of the drug into the body... but there could also be (epi)genetic and environmental factors, for all we know smoking cigarettes inhibits a certain enzyme that is supposed to help metabolize an active and potentially dangerous metabolite.
That last example is more farfetched than the improper blotter laying, but it will be an arduous time before we can pinpoint the significant causes underlying these risks... who knows how inconsequential they seem to us now.

I personally don't trust and don't use NBOMe compounds anymore after a few tries, and I recommend that you either avoid them or if you want to take them minimize the risks in any way that you can. Try to arrange a ROA that delivers a homogeous product like a liquid solution, however only do this if you are sure about your skills and competence handling and preparing dangerous drugs.

That's what I'm saying. All we know for certain is that they are much easier to overdose on than most other psychedelics and that that is compounded by the whole 25i-nbome sold as lsd scam.

>A fair assumption is that increasing the doses increases
I agree, I think the op is asking something along the line of 'are low doses also dangerous and cause some damage that accumulates with each use or is there a dose below which they are safe in the long term?'.

I also more or less agree with the rest of your post and for what it's worth I've never tried any of them. I have tried the NBOHs (25c and 25i) a few times and never had any problems, but that doesn't mean that no damage has been done (it's not like you notice a tiny amount of brain damage) or that if they were safe for me, they would be for everyone. As far as the effects go, they were ok, nothing special, but not bad either. Would I take them again? Idk... perhaps if they became widely available again, especially the other versions (25b, ...). Would I try the nbomes? I have no real desire to atm, plenty of other psychedelics that I'd rather try....

I think if you have material of known purity and you limit dosage to under 1mg per session in all circumstances you could probably have a good time with these compounds. Generally people find things go southwards when they take any more than 1000ug and even at about 250-300ug compounds like 25C, 25D, 25E are all highly active. 500ug nasal/sublingual is actually an excellent dose for these.

The substitution actually does matter, smaller compounds like 25C and the like are pretty... snappy. 25I on the other hand is a bit of a lipophilic sludge monster so it takes longer to come up and is less "potent" overall because it sticks to fatty tissues. 25B is in the middle when it comes to those sort of things.

Just take it easy with these and there's no reason you can't have a good time.

I wonder why 25i-nbome is the one that got the most popular in the first place... with the nbohs at least 25c-nboh is imo better than 25i-nboh.

25i-nbome is likely more easily and cheaply synthesized than other candidates. This is the same market mechanism that selected for JWH-018 over other early synthetic cannabinoids.

ebola

25c-nbome and 25i-nbome powders cost the same per mg/g everywhere I saw them. Now they could be selling the 25c with a smaller profit, but idk.... they have no problem charging more for 25b, 25d, ...

25c-nbome and 25i-nbome powders cost the same per mg/g everywhere I saw them. Now they could be selling the 25c with a smaller profit, but idk.... they have no problem charging more for 25b, 25d, ...
As far as I can tell, 25c is at the very least the second most common, followed by 25b. Also, most people (such as myself) who have done Nbomes sold as acid, are only able to find out that they did an Nbome via taste/experience. Therefore, I assume I've done 25i because of how common it is. For all I know, I could have done 25c or 25b, but I have friends who did source 25b and said it was much more visual than what we had before.

My point is, 25c could be equally as common, but because of widespread media attention to 25i and the extremeness of misinformation on drugs (I mean, Nbomes are sold as LSD to this day, so obviously people are naive) we assume 25i is the most widespread. For all we know, 25N could be making its rounds right now and no one would know.

You make a good point with the nbome lsd scam. Totally forgot about that and only had the people taking nbomes knowing what they are in mind.

I would never look back man; I have access to many Nbomes but they don't even phase me. I did about 4 tabs total of 25i before I was like "Shit feels like I'm truly frying my brain!" There are many associated deaths from them, and many people I know feel that they have gotten brain damage from abusing various Nbomes. A kid choked on his own vomit and died in a parking lot on my campus last year; how would your family feel if you were him?

I'm not trying to just use scare tactics man, these are real experiences and deaths we know about. I'm sorry Nbomes were your first psychs, that's a true shame; however, I feel that once you try LSD you won't wana go back. And if the LSD isn't strong enough... you can just take more, and not worry about frying your brain or having the death of a 1970's rock star. Even at low doses, LSD is a potent drug, and in higher doses I always have soul searching spiritual experiences, something the Nbomes never offered me IME.

"Never go back" is pretty much how I am feeling at this point. Nbomes are so cheap and easy to access, the reason I even got into them in the first place was because a dealer gave my boyfriend a sheet of 16 of them for free. We went through those in about three months time, taking 2 and 1/2 each. I showed him this thread and he doesn't want to do them anymore either.

It sucks that these drugs are so cheap and easy to come by, there are probably a lot of people out there taking these who are ignorant about the dangers of them...such is life, I suppose.

"Never go back" is pretty much how I am feeling at this point. Nbomes are so cheap and easy to access, the reason I even got into them in the first place was because a dealer gave my boyfriend a sheet of 16 of them for free. We went through those in about three months time, taking 2 and 1/2 each. I showed him this thread and he doesn't want to do them anymore either.

It sucks that these drugs are so cheap and easy to come by, there are probably a lot of people out there taking these who are ignorant about the dangers of them...such is life, I suppose.

There are a lot of drugs out there which can be had cheaply, and which don't have the same risks (or at least fewer risks) as the nbomes. I have no idea where you're sourcing your drugs, but look around. Don't just buy from the ignorant and/or scamming dealer down the street, consider where he's getting them.

Nbomes are illegal now in America, but plenty of RCs aren't. The big advantage that the RC market has over the black market lies in this fact--you can get a relatively large quantity of a relatively pure substance for relatively cheap. No one will claim that a random chinese lab is meeting the standards of the legitimate pharmaceutical industry, but it's probably coming closer to that mark than the pill dealer down the street who sells you "ecstasy" made from bathtub-meth and caffeine. So take advantage of this. If you're going to pursue "novel compounds" like the nbomes, it's in your interest to pursue compounds that you can still acquire from an at least semi-legitimate source.

I would never trust someone to lay blotter of an RC for me. Who knows if it's evenly distributed? Who knows what dose the tabs are? (And if you "know," you can't confirm that). Just do it yourself, and cut a whole unknown risk factor out of the equation. Buy a scale, do your math, etc.

Or better yet, play with a compound that won't kill you if you miss a decimal point. Tryptamine analogues have a pretty good safety profile. 2C-Xs seem fairly safe as well. DOC is very potent, very powerful, very cheap, and... while probably more dangerous than the 2C-Xs or tryptamines, is still a whole lot safer than nbomes.

Also, you're in Ohio. We have farms here. Which means cows. Which means shrooms.