• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Can Narcotic Addiction Cure Alcoholism?

Well yeah I don't think there's a physician in the world that would intentionally steer someone off alcohol and on to opiates. At least at first he'd have to get them some other way, but then he should be able to pretty quickly get on to MMT or Suboxone. I have no idea where to get anything illicitly but I've seen people smoking fentanyl all over this city. It smells like burnt popcorn and they do it out in the open or in public restrooms.

But since they are opiate naive how will that effect them? I don't think it would be beneficial or safe to lie about an opiate addiction to get on these meds. They would need to titrate up to a therapeutic dose. Majority of opiates in that paper were labeled do not use with liver disease. Methadone was "not recommended"

I know liver function isn't the easiest to assess via testing, but what are the chances you can get him to go for the blood work?

Initial look shows like Suboxone is a decent option.

I get why you are doing this and I agree, but how do you get the trained medical supervision and go ahead?

Also you have the whole concern of physical alcohol withdrawal, which opiates are not going to prevent. This can be very significant and even deadly.

A medical alcohol detox followed by a titrated up dose of Suboxone seems very viable, but its not going to be easy to to accomplish.

Last edited:
Having opioids absolutely keeps me from drinking.
Although I've known people who would drink ontop of their opioids anyway.

So I'd have to say yes & no & can really depend on the person.
Only time drinking sounds appealing is when I'm in withdrawal or have no access to any opioid.
And honestly, if opioids hadn't of stopped me, I'd have eventually ended up in jail, dead in a ditch or with a failing liver.

Well SWIM is on MMT and he had some long drinking binges in his youth. As soon as he discovered opiates/opioids, he no longer had cravings for alcohol. He would be in the same miserable state as my alky friend if he hadn't switched addictions. But my alky friend has been binge drinking for two decades, and has far more advanced alcoholism than SWIM did. So not sure it will be the lifesaving switch in his case. We got him into treatment twice, both times he bailed. I don't think anything else could possibly save him except maybe prison time.
Just so you know, we don't do the swim thing here. It makes posts confusing and doesn't provide any legal coverage.

But since they are opiate naive how will that effect them? I don't think it would be beneficial or safe to lie about an opiate addiction to get on these meds. They would need to titrate up to a therapeutic dose. Majority of opiates in that paper were labeled do not use with liver disease. Methadone was "not recommended"

I know liver function isn't the easiest to assess via testing, but what are the chances you can get him to go for the blood work?

Initial look shows like Suboxone is a decent option.

I get why you are doing this and I agree, but how do you get the trained medical supervision and go ahead?

Also you have the whole concern of physical alcohol withdrawal, which opiates are not going to prevent. This can be very significant and even deadly.

A medical alcohol detox followed by a titrated up dose of Suboxone seems very viable, but its not going to be easy to to accomplish.
Well to be clear I'm not personally doing anything, just providing him some information about this as a possibility for him. It worked well for me. Sounds like it's worked for others in this forum too. I wouldn't even consider mentioning this to him if he wasn't so clearly going to die soon if he keeps drinking, and if he wasn't so averse to going through rehab. He's my only close friend. I had one other close friend that died of a stroke last May, very unexpectedly.

He is a veteran and has access to detox facilities. He just doesn't stick with it, complaining that they take your phone and other patients hog the tv remote and they won't even let him bring in books to read. I was thinking he could possibly seek a valium script for a home detox, then try to stay sober substituting narcs with the eventual goal of getting on Suboxone or methadone. It's a longshot I know. But I don't know how else he can save himself at this point. As far as the liver thing goes, he's had blood work a lot lately, being in and out of the ER from cumulative alcohol poisoning. As far as I know he doesn't have liver disease yet, miraculously. He does have edema and is malnourished because he can't keep food down.

If you have any other ideas for how he can get himself off alcohol and stay off it I'm all ears. I just don't want him to die.

Such a thing is possible, but unlikely to succeed. There is a high chance your friend will begin to use both, or go back to alcohol, or overdose. So many things could go wrong rather than right.

But it may be worth a shot if your friend is truly dying.... assuming they've already tried rehab, benzos, detox, hospitalization... etc.

I am someone who was addicted to heroin and got off by using alcohol. I became an alcoholic. I can tell you with surety that if I started using heroin again I would end up using both.

In reality the only true cure for alcoholism is sobriety, but the grim statistic is a lot of people never get sober.

BDD -> recovery.
Mate I’ve done the same and I’m so disappointed in myself .

I used to inject heroin and crack together for nigh on 18 years and finally got clean but after a few months I noticed my few beers had turned into ten pints a day .

I class myself as a functioning alcoholic as I drink gradually through the day and manage to do everything as I only drink ten pints a day of 5 percent cider .
So I start around 9 am and finish at about 9am n that’s when I am getting a bit wobbly on my legs

But I’m just so disappointed in myself and wondered if it’s a common thing for long term heroin/crack addicts to replace things every time instead of going full on clean living ?

Hope your k tho matey I know I’d have lost my legs if I’d carried on iv in my groin

Lsd/ketamine and a load of vit c,b 1-9, d could cure it.

i am not a alcoholic but before i went on morphine i was a binge drinker. But now i very rarely have the desire to drink. As opiate addiction can be managed q0uite easily i think your friend should def try it out. Anything is better then being dead

i am not a alcoholic but before i went on morphine i was a binge drinker. But now i very rarely have the desire to drink. As opiate addiction can be managed q0uite easily i think your friend should def try it out. Anything is better then being dead
How long were you a binge drinker?

I think maybe its a secret doctors know that opiates can treat alcoholism long term. I've read about drunks long ago getting off booze that way, since they are the two worst addictions but of the two opiates are far less destructive to the body. You can live to be old with an opiate addiction. Not so with bad alcoholism generally. But to be hooked on both at the same time would be very dangerous.

How long were you a binge drinker?

I think maybe its a secret doctors know that opiates can treat alcoholism long term. I've read about drunks long ago getting off booze that way, since they are the two worst addictions but of the two opiates are far less destructive to the body. You can live to be old with an opiate addiction. Not so with bad alcoholism generally. But to be hooked on both at the same time would be very dangerous.

probably from about age 14 up until i was about 25. Now i get no desire to drink at all really but sometimes i do get drunk when i dont take morphine

What about high potency Cannabis? Personally, opiates always make me want to drink alcohol on top. Love a Kratom/beer combo or a poppy pod and whiskey session.

What about high potency Cannabis? Personally, opiates always make me want to drink alcohol on top. Love a Kratom/beer combo or a poppy pod and whiskey session.
He'll eat edibles now and then when he's desperate to feel better but generally he doesn't like weed. It's not for everyone. It all makes me have panic attacks, even pure indica. I'm done with weed for life.

Opiate addiction is not a solution to alcoholism. Replacing one addiction with another is not the answer. While some studies suggest that medication-assisted treatments such as methadone or suboxone can help treat opioid addiction, they do not cure alcoholism. Your friend needs professional help, and I strongly recommend looking into rehab facilities that can provide him with the support and resources he needs to overcome his addiction. If you're based in the UK, you might want to check out rehab essex as an option. Remember, addiction is a disease, and seeking help is a sign of strength. Best of luck to you and your friend.

Last edited:
It would only seem the answer would be yes.
Switching one substance to another is easy, usually.
Is it the better of two evils (narcos)...? Whose to say? Maybe for some and not others.
Narcotics are at the apex of the food chain imo in regards to drugs/alcohol.
Not only for the profits but also results.

yeah

risk of having two simultaneous addictions could not be just shrugged off tho

But if I had to make sure I won't drink for whatever time, I'd go with weed, opioid or amtabus

In the old days, doctors used to prescribe morphine to alcoholics and it worked at least well enough that they continued doing it for some time.

The other thing I could suggest is kava. Some people find kava a suitable alcohol replacement.