• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

Can MDMA worsen seizures?

nancy145

Bluelighter
My friend has anxiety/PTSD induced seizures, and wants to try MDMA since no other pharmaceuticals have worked for her PTSD. She doesn't have epilepsy, but she has seizures from the anxiety and PTSD, so I'm wondering if MDMA can worsen that. Also, does anyone know the best dose for her to take for her PTSD?

I would expect MDMA to lower the seizure threshold like amphetamines do. I would definitely have some drugs on hand to help abort a seizure and don't be afraid to call an ambulance and be up front with them.

I would start low with the dose, especially with girls (they are more sensitive to MDMA). 120mg is generally considered the max dose a guy should take, average guy with no tolerance may only need 50-80mg to be very high.

Make sure it's MDMA, and be aware that such drugs may not play nice with antiepileptics like carbamazepine and Depakote.

MDMA can lower the seizure threshold, try to be sure if your friend is still on any psychiatric meds that they aren't going to interact poorly with it. Many psych meds also lower the seizure threshold and some interact in other dangerous ways with MDMA so do any necessary research on that topic first. Really I would warn against using MDMA if she already has seizures but I understand the temptation to self medicate for PTSD. If you do go through with it familiarize yourself with what to do if she does have a seizure and don't hesitate to get medical help if something goes wrong.

Be aware using MDMA to treat PTSD also doesn't work in the same way daily psychiatric meds do, if she tries to take it daily she'll just grow tolerant and it eventually won't work. I've experienced beneficial effects from the use of MDMA in regards to my own PTSD, some things that used to trigger flashbacks no longer do because I was exposed to them in a positive environment while on it. That said I don't think dose is as crucial for that purpose as making it a positive/safe experience is, if you feel it's safe to do even with her seizure risk then do it in a controlled environment and be sure at least one sober person is with her to guide the experience. Start with a low end dose (in the area of 50mg) and if that's enough to help her symptoms I'd say stick with that and don't aim to get her any higher than needed.

so if i have a history of seizures mdma can bring one out?

Yes, anyone who has a condition that involves seizures will become even more vulnerable when the seizure threshold is reduced so while using drug that lowers the threshold like MDMA doesn't guarantee a seizure it significantly increases the risk of having one.

Agreed. Don't know if this is translatable to seizures caused by PTSD but a friend of mine had an epileptic seizure triggered by MDMA. He has epilepsy but only very rarely gets a seizure, like once every 6 months

Yes, anyone who has a condition that involves seizures will become even more vulnerable when the seizure threshold is reduced so while using drug that lowers the threshold like MDMA doesn't guarantee a seizure it significantly increases the risk of having one.

I don't think i have a condition involving seizures, i still have to see a nuerologist. How come when i smoke meth i don't have seizures?

I don't think i have a condition involving seizures, i still have to see a nuerologist. How come when i smoke meth i don't have seizures?

Could be that meth doesn't lower the seizure threshold enough to trigger seizures in your case. Could also be that you've just gotten lucky and managed not to trigger one yet. For the most part that's gonna be unique to your own body and your own sensitivities but most amphetamines do increase seizure risk even if they don't cause seizures in every person that uses them.