• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

Can MDMA marquis reaction be sort of brown

Lycophron

Greenlighter
So not looking for any kind of ID thread! I just would like some help with a quick question.

So I have two different batches of MDMA, the marquis test I did the other day on the first one reacted quick with smoke and it turned an almost black color, but in thin spots looked purple/violet.

I have this other diffrent batch I got a bit later and it also reacted quick to marquis, turning black, but it also seemed to be more brownish in color rather than that purplish hue. They look close.

Pretty sure that they are both MDMA, as they have that sassafrass/anise smell.

My question:
I just wanted to know if it is atypical to see the marquis turn MDMA to a black/dark brown color, and not as much of violet color.

I have not tested a lot of MDMA, so just wondering if there is some variation in how MDMA should or could react to Marquis. Really wish I had some of the other reagents rather than Marquis, but I'm glad I have this one for sure.:)

The black/purple marquis is probably a safer bet in terms of presence and purity. Although it is not an absolute sign of good quality it is a good first step

The one that has a black and brownish reaction may be MDMA with a small presence of amphetamine (very unlikely) or MDMA cut with brown sugar. ( much more probable)

A friend recently acquired MDMA that tested instantly black with a brownish tint and turned out to be extremely cut with brown sugar.

start low, and stay safe

Pictures?

Can't really say without them. But, no it really should NOT be brown and that would signify some type of cut IMO.

The black/purple marquis is probably a safer bet in terms of presence and purity. Although it is not an absolute sign of good quality it is a good first step

The one that has a black and brownish reaction may be MDMA with a small presence of amphetamine (very unlikely) or MDMA cut with brown sugar. ( much more probable)

A friend recently acquired MDMA that tested instantly black with a brownish tint and turned out to be extremely cut with brown sugar.

start low, and stay safe

Very interesting. You aren't in Aus by any chance are you? I too recently came about a bit of crystal that had been cut with brown sugar. Never really thought of it myself, always figured if someone was going to cut it with an inactive substance of similar appearance they'd use sea salt or something.

Very interesting. You aren't in Aus by any chance are you? I too recently came about a bit of crystal that had been cut with brown sugar. Never really thought of it myself, always figured if someone was going to cut it with an inactive substance of similar appearance they'd use sea salt or something.

I'm from upper North America lol the substance situation is just as horrible as in Aus.

Brown crystals use to be an indicator of a lack of acetone wash to increase the purity of the crystals and remove byproducts, now it is a sales scam since dealers are mixing brown sugar up with very little MDMA tricking the reagent tests into believing you have mdma.

The black reaction over powers the brown so you have to observe it with a powerful light.

Either or , like i said, start low. You never know, you might be luckier than most.

The times I had MDMA I thought was cut with sugar, the reaction was much more of a slightly red purple. Not anywhere near brown though

Apparently sugar turns to yellow --> dark brown so it could be sugar. Did you see any yellow during the initial reaction?

So not looking for any kind of ID thread! I just would like some help with a quick question.

I have not tested a lot of MDMA, so just wondering if there is some variation in how MDMA should or could react to Marquis. Really wish I had some of the other reagents rather than Marquis, but I'm glad I have this one for sure.:)

Have a look at one of my first threads (with pics). I had the same question as I noted brown with the results
http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/709687-Need-opionion-on-Marquis-results

Decided to buy additional tests (mecke, mandelin). They all came out OK.
Later I wash and recrystallize my mdma. Once performing Marquis test to that, the reaction didn't contain brown component. So my buest educated guess was that it was die impurities (salting left overs etc).

Last edited: