• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Can Loperamide cause WDs itself if taken for heroin WD?

Chris42393

Bluelighter
So Im currently WD'ing from heroin and am using kratom to help with them. I want to move to something "milder" soon. If I were to take Lope for like 5 days or so, could that cause WDs?

(Im sure we all know Kratom can cause WD's itself, which I dont want... so that's why i want to switch)

Last edited:
It probably will. It's an opioid agonist
That's what I thought... I ended up having some GI problems while WD'ing a long time ago. Ended up taking like 2-3 and I was surprised how well it stopped the Hydrocodone WD's (they went completely away). I thought id have to take at least like 10 or something like that.

Hopefully, the WDs wont be as bad as kratoms.

thanks for the reply brother

Yes mate it can, but no more than any other. It can be a godsend when needed if you get it right. It is peripherally as strong as Hydromorphone (Pharmacology degree study) at equivalent dosing. I sometimes use it for Oxycodone withdrawal (120mg a day) with a starting dose of 15mg, reducing by one every 12 hours or so. Very effective in my opinion for Physical symptoms, and dare I say slight but very evident mood boost!!

Yes mate it can, but no more than any other. It can be a godsend when needed if you get it right. It is peripherally as strong as Hydromorphone (Pharmacology degree study) at equivalent dosing. I sometimes use it for Oxycodone withdrawal (120mg a day) with a starting dose of 15mg, reducing by one every 12 hours or so. Very effective in my opinion for Physical symptoms, and dare I say slight but very evident mood boost!!
Thanks for the reply! Im not familiar with "peripherally as strong", can you please explain that if you dont mind? Mood boost would be great too! Im going to try it tomorrow!

No probs mate. The physical symptoms of withdrawal. i.e restless legs, body temp fluctuations, aching, nausea, diarrhoea etc. Those effects are proven. Personally psychologically, I have started from baseline with 30mg as a test in the past, and defo been more upbeat, placebo or not.

P.s It was synthesised initially in the same any other is, for pain management, then was altered at the molecular level, if I remember my professors explanation!!

Thanks for the reply! Im not familiar with "peripherally as strong", can you please explain that if you dont mind? Mood boost would be great too! Im going to try it tomorrow!

Loperamide doesn't have much central nervous system activity I.e. on opioid receptors in the brain. You don't 'feel' the effects very much. It does have very strong effects on the peripheral nervous system by binding to opioid receptors dispersed through the body.

A huge part of opiate withdrawal is the negative feedback between the mind reacting to the horrible physical feelings. Loperamide can reduce those physical feelings leading to a decreased sensation of withdrawal.

It's still an opioid so you need be prudent with your use of it...

Loperamide doesn't have much central nervous system activity I.e. on opioid receptors in the brain. You don't 'feel' the effects very much. It does have very strong effects on the peripheral nervous system by binding to opioid receptors dispersed through the body.

A huge part of opiate withdrawal is the negative feedback between the mind reacting to the horrible physical feelings. Loperamide can reduce those physical feelings leading to a decreased sensation of withdrawal.

It's still an opioid so you need be prudent with your use of it...
Thanks for the reply Swilow! I was unaware that it had such strong effects on the peripheral nervous system. I thought it only acted within the large intestine. Im glad it can help! Ill definitely will be careful though!

Appreciate the help/input! :)