• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Kratom Can kratom help a methadone habit

RedRum OG

Bluelighter
I haven't touched kratom since maybe 2009 when I had a little baby habit, and I remember having trouble getting any effects even then

If one was trying to kick 20-30mg of methadone, would kratom even be a blip on the radar? Not trying to get high, obviously, just trying to moderate the withdrawals. I've come down from 120mg over the years, and am worried my tolerance is exponentially higher than what kratom can do

Looking for accounts of personal experience. Thanks for your time

All I can say is that every time I was trying to quit fent/oxy/heroin or something like that, immediately replacing it with kratom was futile. Barely helped at all, if any. I will continue to profess kratom is only really good for PAWS, not acute withdrawal.

Try going cold turkey for 4-5 days then taking kratom. It will absolutely help at that time.

I am not discouraging you from trying to immediately switch to kratom, but once you have a massive tolerance like you do it's not going to do much except stimulate you.

Much better off going cold turkey for a bit then switching to it. Just going off my personal experiences.

Just my opinion.

Last edited:
Kratom isn't great for severe withdrawal, and can sometimes be more trouble than its worth.

20-30mg of methadone cold turkey will still be suprisingly severe if you go the cold turkey route. Might help though. Try 5g-8g every 5 hours, and use something like red bali.

I've gotten the sense at times that kratom can actually to some degree precipitate withdrawal in some cases in which you feel even worse from taking it.

Kratom isn't great for severe withdrawal, and can sometimes be more trouble than its worth.

20-30mg of methadone cold turkey will still be suprisingly severe if you go the cold turkey route. Might help though. Try 5g-8g every 5 hours, and use something like red bali.

I've gotten the sense at times that kratom can actually to some degree precipitate withdrawal in some cases in which you feel even worse from taking it.

Kinda what I figured, but hoped for better

Not trying to kick completely. Just need help tapering. At the moment doing methadone 5 days a week, need something like loperamide or kratom to take the edge off the other 2.

I've been on methadone for 7 years, opiates for 11, just dont have it in me to kick for over a month. I hate being reliant on the government to get well, worrying about natural disasters and riots fucking my connection, so this is where I find myself, from 120mg to 20mg, now just very stuck and lacking in disciple to make 140mg last 7 days; need something "light" for the other 2, as I'm done with buying strong street opiates, other than methadone I guess

Thanks for your time

Kinda what I figured, but hoped for better

Not trying to kick completely. Just need help tapering. At the moment doing methadone 5 days a week, need something like loperamide or kratom to take the edge off the other 2.

I've been on methadone for 7 years, opiates for 11, just dont have it in me to kick for over a month. I hate being reliant on the government to get well, worrying about natural disasters and riots fucking my connection, so this is where I find myself, from 120mg to 20mg, now just very stuck and lacking in disciple to make 140mg last 7 days; need something "light" for the other 2, as I'm done with buying strong street opiates, other than methadone I guess

Thanks for your time

I was once on 380mg/day of methadone and tapered off myself. It's funny because I was on take homes (tablets, 38 10mg pills a day) and I never told them I was tapering. I just took less until I tapered off completely. It took me around 18 months. They were shocked the day I told them I was done with them.

Of course I had saved thousands of pills, which I ended up using like 4 years later, but overall i was fine.

As far as kratom. At 20-30mg/day of methadone, kratom might help. It's worth a try. I'd say 5-8g every 5 hours.

I was once on 380mg/day of methadone and tapered off myself. It's funny because I was on take homes (tablets, 38 10mg pills a day) and I never told them I was tapering. I just took less until I tapered off completely. It took me around 18 months. They were shocked the day I told them I was done with them.

Of course I had saved thousands of pills, which I ended up using like 4 years later, but overall i was fine.

As far as kratom. At 20-30mg/day kratom might help. It's worth a try. I'd say 5-8g every 5 hours.

Golly fucking gee, the discipline on this guy. 380mg is no joke.

Congrats on your straightening out

I self taper, but as I have to take that days' dose in front of them, I had to tell them, otherwise I'd still be taking 120mg every monday, which at this point, would kill me, but I wouldve loved to have done it your way.

Will go pick up a few ounces from the local tobacco shop tomorrow, but will probably be old as hell, and will try to get some better stuff in the mail before next weekend

Thanks for the advice

Golly fucking gee, the discipline on this guy. 380mg is no joke.

Congrats on your straightening out

I self taper, but as I have to take that days' dose in front of them, I had to tell them, otherwise I'd still be taking 120mg every monday, which at this point, would kill me, but I wouldve loved to have done it your way.

Will go pick up a few ounces from the local tobacco shop tomorrow, but will probably be old as hell, and will try to get some better stuff in the mail before next weekend

Thanks for the advice

Some of the headshop stuff works fine (some of which isn't much different from online sourced stuff -- they seem to come from the same supply chain). Only buy the powder.

Kratom didn't work for heavy withdrawal for me but it worked excellently for lower to somewhat moderate level withdrawal. When it works it is very useful. Worth a shot.