• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Can I take Naltrexone (not Naloxone) while taking Buprenorphine?

Heeltoe

Greenlighter
All,

First time poster, but long time reader and have found so many interesting and informative people and posts over the years that I wanted to thank you all first and foremost. I can contribute to some of the questions I have seen here recently, so I intend to be more active to help others, but in the meantime, I have a question I really need answered.

Long short - I had an opiate problem (pills), got on Subutex (not Suboxone), was on for a little over a year, and then tapered off. Problem is that with some emotional challenges, I replaced the pills / Subutex with alcohol. So went through alcohol detox with my PCP, blah blah (he was great btw and couldn't have been better), but now he wants me to take naltrexone for a few months to help control the cravings for the alcohol (plus will keep me off pills, I mean what's the point right).

So here's the question / issue - I had started taking about 4mg a day of Subutex again and forgot to mention to my doc about this (I know I should have remembered but I didn't and now I don't want to wait two weeks to get back in to see him just to tell him). SO...can I start taking the Naltrexone (note - not naloxone in suboxone) while tapering off of the Subutex?

I've read articles and studies talking about how these two drugs were used together successfully, and then I have read from others that if I take the Naltrexone while on the Subutex, I will end up in PW's (which is NOT an option at all for me).

Can anyone help me here? I've read about 20 threads on this topic on the forums, but I still do not have a clear answer. Can I start Naltrexone while on Subutex?

Thanks for all the help again!!!

Well that sucks, but that?s what I was worried about.

How long should I be off the subs before I can start the naltrexone?

About 90% of substance are cleared after 4,4 half lifes. After 5,5 half lifes it's about 95%. How long do you've been taking buprenorhine? Due to it's long half life of 28-37 h it accumulates and therefore your blood level inreases every day. I don't have personal experience with this, but I guess you should wait about 5-7 half lifes.

Good luck with staying clean and everything!