• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Misc Can I take Kratom before surgery

Oxygod126

Bluelighter
Hey guys,

I’m 27 and having my 3rd surgery on my back in 3 years. I’ve been in some nasty car accidents, both as a passenger. First I was in a Lyft, than I was in a taxi in Vegas.

I’m having another fusion, 2 levels. Also si joint fusion. Basically my whole lower back is beyond fucked. Not looking forward to this, and the 1 years rehab but if there is a chance I can live without so much pain then I’m willing to take that chance.

They give me a very limited supply of pain meds. I’m 27 and male so of course I’m going to get addicted and od, at least that’s what they think. I fit the democratic so I am definitely getting profiled. I even had my PC doc tell me that. I’ve been to 5 pain management doctors and they literally will not help me. They just insist on shoving antidepressants down my throat, which I refuse to take anymore, but that’s another story. Luckily my pc doc has been in my family for 30 years so he trusts me and gives me some, not a lot though, but better than nothing.

So now to my question. I’m having surgery on July 22nd and was wondering if I can take Kratom before my surgery. Kratom btw has basically kept me alive. So if anyone has any experience with this then please let me know.

Thanks everyone in advance, and I hope you all stay safe through these crazy times.

And if you don't want to mention this to the doc ( I would not myself as they don't know anything) then do what my wife did. She had 3 separate surgeries while she was utilizing kratom. The morning of she did not take any. The morning surgeries were easy enough. One of those we had to wait till 3:00PM. She squirmed, they knocked her out, did the surgery and then after she woke up instead of taking pain pills she took kratom which worked. One of those times was in the hospital (it is not a jail) and the other two times when she got home.

My concern would be kratom interfering with the anethesia and making it work less. But it never really did with my wife although as I said the day of she steered clear of it until it was over. No issues on any of them. But the anethesiologist has a good handle on body functions, will be able to tell if breathing is endangered or you are coming too. I have heard this issue with other opiates as far as breathing dangers. Never kratom though. I can say though that kratom will make other pain meds like oxy a lot weaker and I believe it is due to simple tolerance. Whatever it is in kratom that occupies the receptors may not be too strong but they hang on. The way around that is taking the opiate first if you take both. But we learned that it is moot to take pain killers like hydrocodone or oxycodone while using kratom. Morphine, heroin and methadone are a different story and will steam roll kratom effects.

Keep us updated as to what you did. This is a common question and everyone does different things. I think you will be good to go either way.

Last edited:
Kratom is known to make your opioid tolerance high so I would just say you have a high tolerance to the anesthesiologist so they don’t undermedicate

Thanks for the informative post guys! I wasn’t going to take any the day of my surgery. I didn’t think Kratom effected opioids, but what you said makes complete sense. The last month or so when I get my opioid script filled and take them I barley feel anything. I haven’t been taking Kratom too long so I’m fairly inexperienced with it. Before I got into Kratom I was getting a pretty steady supply of roxi 30s but unfortunately went through pretty much every dollar to my name so that’s why I made the switch to Kratom.

this is my 3rd surgery but I’m really nervous about this one, not about the actual surgery, but the rehab. I’m really scared that my pain meds won’t work.

I also forgot to mention that I have stage 3 kidney disease and IGA nephrology so am also curious how Kratom effects that.

^ That is a bit more info Oxygod. It throws more variables in the mix. So you will be in a rehab after the surgery and also have some kidney issues. Honestly not sure how kratom affects the kidneys, but you have been using it all along anyway. We know the Bluelight mantra that we are not doctors, so anything said would be guessing and all I can do is put myself in your shoes. If you did not have kidney issues I would say have anyone that visits you bring you kratom with your cloths when they visit.

I don't think anyone, not even doctors will know much. When it comes to pain relief I would use either prescription they give you or kratom. Kratom fills those receptors even though it does not cause respiratory issues. So the lighter pain killers do become weaker. Also if you stop kratom for a day or two the presription will also become stronger. I have to say about prescriptions, acetominophen is also not healthy for the kidney yet I bet they give it to you.

I hope things turn out well and yhou heal quick Oxygod. You have some decisions, none of them all that serious so no stress. I would probably try to rely on my prescriptions until the whole ordeal is over and start before the surgery. There will be a day or two of them not working to well. If you have access to gabapentin or pregabalin that would help immensly yet there again not sure how the kidney is affected.

Keep us posted, you have a bunch of internet friends that will be curious and want to hear about your successful recovery.

I discussed my kratom use with my neurosurgeon prior to getting my neck repaired in November and was asked to stop taking it 72 hours before the surgery. Keep in mind, however, that I have seizures from many common opiates (tramadol, hydrocodone, and oxycodone) and my surgeon was well aware of that fact before I talked to her about it. She wasn't thrilled about it, but was at least decent enough to be understanding about my situation. She was also good enough to prescribe me morphine for post-surgical pain, as long as I promised her I would abstain from kratom for the duration of my course of morphine. Your experience is likely to be very different than mine, unless you have a documented history of opiate related seizures and no history of opiate abuse....

My surgery is today at around 4 o’clock. My last dose was about 18 hours prior to my surgery. I am very nervous that they are going to reschedule or something. It’s already been postponed twice since covid.

I had 3 seizures due to benzo withdrawals 3 or 4 years ago. That is my only history with seizures, none for opioid related stuff however.

for some reason my anxiety is through the roof about this surgery, and it’ll be my third in less than 3 years.

can I take Valium before? Can anyone who has knowledge about this let me know ASAP. It’s about 11 hours until surgery, and I have to go 2 hours before for all the pre op and stuff.

Don't take valium before.

You should be fine with light kratom use 18 hours prior to surgery but i would make them aware of it if possible.

How long is the procedure and how much kratom have you been taking?

Do not mention Jratom

And 10mg Valium is fine to take, they almost always undermedicate and OD from Benzodiazepines would be an act of God

Tell them you have a high opioid tolerance, it probably will not help though you may as well try

Good Luck

if youre hooked on kratom, especially if you dose multiple times a day, i would be less worried about possible interactions with it, and more worried about your body waking up from the anesthesia much earlier then expected due to the fast approaching withdrawal symptoms. most procedures involve a lot of waiting, so its not likely you can take kratom an hour before they put you out... no matter how tired i am, even if i take benzos, i cant get a solid 6 hours of sleep before the kratom restlessness will wake me up. i usually dose right before i fall asleep, wake up 5 hours later, dose, go back to sleep for 2 more hours. wake up, dose, lay there dozing for an hour, dose again, then 45mins later i feel fine enough to get going. its a pain in the ass.

if youre hooked on kratom, especially if you dose multiple times a day, i would be less worried about possible interactions with it, and more worried about your body waking up from the anesthesia much earlier then expected due to the fast approaching withdrawal symptoms. most procedures involve a lot of waiting, so its not likely you can take kratom an hour before they put you out... no matter how tired i am, even if i take benzos, i cant get a solid 6 hours of sleep before the kratom restlessness will wake me up. i usually dose right before i fall asleep, wake up 5 hours later, dose, go back to sleep for 2 more hours. wake up, dose, lay there dozing for an hour, dose again, then 45mins later i feel fine enough to get going. its a pain in the ass.

Good point.

I asked how heavy of a user they are to gauge this for this reason but they didnt reply.

My surgery got postponed until 8-12. To be honest, I was kind of happy because I didn’t know how my body would react to the anesthesia. It’s about 3-5 hour surgery I’m told so I guess I would have to be knocked out for awhile. I can’t do the taste or texture of the Kratom lol, so I make a bunch of capsules and take 20, which I believe is around 10 grams. I do that 2 or maybe 3 times a day depending on how bad my pain is.

For some reason when I was taking 150 mg of oxy a day (30mg roxy) I had minimal withdrawals coming off that. I only stopped taking that because I burned every dollar I had basically, but with Kratom I feel like complete and utter shit after I don’t take it. I know Kratom is supposed to not be that bad, but I get extremely nauseous and restless legs, insomnia seems to be worse than usual, and so on. I’m also getting 14, 5mg Percocet every 14 days per agreement with my doc. I know it’s nothing but beggars can’t be choosers I guess. I have stage 3 kidney disease which I think I mentioned in an earlier post, but is it possible that because I have auto immune disease that I’m having more trouble with Kratom?

I definitely plan on telling the anesthesiologists when my last dose of Kratom is because I also have asthma, and I have a fairly high pain tolerance, but there is no way in hell i am taking the chance of being under medicated and waking up during surgery. I think if you’re a pretty healthy person and you take Kratom a little before going under you would most lot be fine, but I just have too many variables with my health.

thanks for all the responses guys, I really appreciate it!

I don't get the nausea or psychological withdrawal symptoms when I skip kratom doses, but I get the most relentless, intolerable, viscous restlessness. Its unlike anything I've ever experienced, that's why I'm tapering my doses down in a very slow, almost benzodiazepine style. If I could just find a way around that restlessness, I'd have a much easier time getting off of it. Lyrica and alprazolam can't touch it, dxm helps, but only in really high doses, and only if it's pure powder.

if youre hooked on kratom, especially if you dose multiple times a day, i would be less worried about possible interactions with it, and more worried about your body waking up from the anesthesia much earlier then expected due to the fast approaching withdrawal symptoms.

RIght but a good anethesiologist should know how to maintain a patient. They hover people between consciousness and unconsciousness. I have to say this is what i was worried about with my wife but all 3 surgeries she stayed sleeping and didn't wake up even long after the anesthesia wore off. So it is possible they saw her waking up and added more. But yeah, took her 2 hours to wake up and they told me 30 minutes. I have a family member that is an anethesiologist and I asked a bunch of questions over the years. :) The amount of monitering is what these guys get paid for. They do surgeries for people in auto accidents and all kinds of things where they don't even know what a person is on or drunk or anything. The monitoring is key.

Everyone is different and I can say without a doubt I can go 2 days without kratom if I have gabapentin. No restlessness or chills. And in general cannabis can break through the restlessness. I actually can not sleep until I am at least 7 hours out from kratom or I lay there awake. Not sure if that is because I spent years on poppy pod tea or that everyone has their own issues with a multitude of substances.

As far as this post the kidney issues concern me the most. I just had a physical and take a BP med to where they have to check my kidney function. All was well in my circumstance.

Anyway I see they postponed the surgery for you Oxygod. Just more time to worry. :) I'll keep the faith or you if you don't. Bet's the surgery will go without a hitch and here's
hoping the kidney issues heal going forward. In total I know of about 6 surgeries of people I know that used kratom, all of them worried, all of them had it go off without a hitch.

Last edited:
I don't get the nausea or psychological withdrawal symptoms when I skip kratom doses, but I get the most relentless, intolerable, viscous restlessness. Its unlike anything I've ever experienced, that's why I'm tapering my doses down in a very slow, almost benzodiazepine style. If I could just find a way around that restlessness, I'd have a much easier time getting off of it. Lyrica and alprazolam can't touch it, dxm helps, but only in really high doses, and only if it's pure powder.

Look into black seed oil it helps the restlessness from kratom withdrawal