• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Stimulants Can I take a low dose of Ritalin with a high blood pressure?

VoteQuimby

Greenlighter
I take 5-10mg as needed per day.
I never go above 10mg.

How bad is it to take this dose when you have a high blood pressure?

Thank you.

How high is your blood pressure?

You should be fine at such low doses, just monitor your BP.

Im confused if you take 5-10mg as needed per day and never exceed 10mg that sounds like a prescription and if your never exceeding the prescription I would just ask your doctor. You might be able to even just ask your pharmacist . Does your doctor know you have high blood pressure? Or not even a appointment maybe an email or the pharmacist might be able to call and say "hey your patient fills blah blah blah here and I got a warning for high blood pressure can you confirm this isnt contradicted please they are worried about it" (my pharmacist is a nice guy your results may vary ive had one hangup on me lol)

Sorry if you don't have a prescription and all this is useless

If it's a prescription then talk to your doctor. If not then I'd hold off on taking any more until you do your own research. We don't know your medical history and we aren't doctors so we can't really advise you on whether 10mg of methylphenidate is safe for you or not.

Im confused if you take 5-10mg as needed per day and never exceed 10mg that sounds like a prescription and if your never exceeding the prescription I would just ask your doctor. You might be able to even just ask your pharmacist . Does your doctor know you have high blood pressure? Or not even a appointment maybe an email or the pharmacist might be able to call and say "hey your patient fills blah blah blah here and I got a warning for high blood pressure can you confirm this isnt contradicted please they are worried about it" (my pharmacist is a nice guy your results may vary ive had one hangup on me lol)

Sorry if you don't have a prescription and all this is useless

I have a prescription and my psychiatrist does not know about my high blood pressure.

If it's a prescription then talk to your doctor. If not then I'd hold off on taking any more until you do your own research. We don't know your medical history and we aren't doctors so we can't really advise you on whether 10mg of methylphenidate is safe for you or not.
You're right. At this point in my life though, I don't mind dying from anything.

That's not terribly high.

You'll be fine just keep an eye on it and communicate with your doctor.

Do you take blood pressure medication?

(Obligatory I'm not your doctor nor is this medical advice)

Methylphenidate (Ritalin) is a “classic amphetamine” dating back 50+ years courtesy of CIBA Pharmaceuticals

It often doesn’t over stimulate and has little to no effect of HR & BP compared to Racemic Amphetamine (Benzedrine) and Dextro-Amphetamine (Dexedrine).

Google vintage Ritalin ads and read them….very interesting data advertised

I have a script of Ritalin & Vyvanse (Lisdexamfetamine) prodrug to d-amphetamine…..Vyvanse causes heart palpitations and increased HR & BP.

Ritalin is free from all these negative effects. Hands down the safest dopaminergic stimulant that is still a “classic amphetamine” 3-4 X increase in dopamine in the CNS with greater effects at the DAT than the NET

Ritalin 10mg tablets should be fine …..I take 35mg IR with alcohol (increases d-MPH by 40%) and still don’t get any increased blood pressure or increased HR

Start low, and increase slowly until your body adjusts to the meds and you know it’s safe for you

I have a prescription and my psychiatrist does not know about my high blood pressure.
You don't have to talk to your psychiatrist about it. You should see your general practitioner to get a checkup and talk to them about it. Your gp is going to be much more able to assess whether methylphenidate is dangerous in your state of health than your psychiatrist.

I don't believe taking such a comparatively low dose of Methylphenidate (Ritalin) would be enough to provoke any kind of serious physiological response. Anyone who would prescribe Methylphenidate would have at least a cursory knowledge of your medical history, which would include blood pressure history.

It's always riskier using stimulants when you have any kind of cardiovascular history, but that doesn't mean it can't be done. If you monitor yourself and use the medication responsibly i.e. as prescribed, I don't think it's contraindicated. This could change at any time, so like I said, always be monitoring yourself. If it is giving you anxiety, perhaps you could go buy a blood pressure cuff from the pharmacy or invest in a fitbit. This will give you pretty accurate readings for all of your cardiovascular indicators including pulse, blood pressure etc.

Methylphenidate (Ritalin) is a “classic amphetamine” dating back 50+ years courtesy of CIBA Pharmaceuticals

It often doesn’t over stimulate and has little to no effect of HR & BP compared to Racemic Amphetamine (Benzedrine) and Dextro-Amphetamine (Dexedrine).

Google vintage Ritalin ads and read them….very interesting data advertised

I have a script of Ritalin & Vyvanse (Lisdexamfetamine) prodrug to d-amphetamine…..Vyvanse causes heart palpitations and increased HR & BP.

Ritalin is free from all these negative effects. Hands down the safest dopaminergic stimulant that is still a “classic amphetamine” 3-4 X increase in dopamine in the CNS with greater effects at the DAT than the NET

Ritalin 10mg tablets should be fine …..I take 35mg IR with alcohol (increases d-MPH by 40%) and still don’t get any increased blood pressure or increased HR

Start low, and increase slowly until your body adjusts to the meds and you know it’s safe for you
Yeah, that's what I've read online as well but I was interested in people's experience here on BL.

Thanks for the insights.

That's not terribly high.

You'll be fine just keep an eye on it and communicate with your doctor.

Do you take blood pressure medication?

(Obligatory I'm not your doctor nor is this medical advice)

I don't take BP medication but high BP kinda runs through my family.
I'll keep an eye on it.
Thanks.