• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Can I still take these supplements/nootropics while being on Effexor (SNRI)?

glab

Bluelighter
Hi,
I'd be thankful for some input. I just started with Effexor for depression.
The problem is I don't really know if any of these substances might interfere with the SNRI or if it might have some
serotonergic effects on its own and then increase the risk of serotonin syndrome. Stuff which I have been taking for a while now
and now don't know if I can keep taking it:

Choline
Acetyl L Carnitine
Taurine
Glycine
DMAE (took this only a few times yet)
N Acetyl Tyrosine (took this only a few times yet)

ps: I also take Ritalin for ADHD and Lamotrigine (for unipolar depression)

I'm not sure but my impression is that this stack might improve my mental functions a bit
in this case I'd like to keep taking it. But I'm scared that maybe there could be interactions. I don't know what ALCAR for example
does in the brain.
DMAE and Tyrosine I tried only a few times now. I'm not sure if they work or if they are even safe with Ritalin.

I'd have more of a concern to the additional effects of venlafaxine (Effexor) & methylphenidate (Ritalin) on norepinephrine. What dosage are you taking?
If the venla, MPH and lamotrigine are prescribed by the same doctor or at least knowing of the other treatments, you should be fine. Choline, Taurine, Glycine, Tyrosine etc. are things that are in your regular nutrition already, and more of a concern when it comes to MAO inhibitors. These supplements shouldn't interact seriously with an SNRI.