• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Can fentanyl patches go bad...and other questions...please help...

Slowhand

Bluelighter
Ok, I used the search feature, and what I have learned so far is that opiates tend to not got bad very soon, and that fentanyl patches should be pretty potent...so, here is my situation...
Last night I found an unopened box of duragesic fentanyl patches, 50 ug/hr, with each patch containing a total of 5 mg of fentanyl...I am an opiate virgin, so I was excited about my find. At 8:00 pm, I shaved a small section of my chest and applied a patch. I then got to looking at the box, and noticed that the patches expired in December of 2000...but, I was not to concerned, because I thought that opiates would last for a while. Well, now it is 6:00 am the following morning, and I really don't feel anything more than a very slight buzz, and I feel a little light-headed. Is it possible that the patches have gone bad? They were kept in their sealed pouches, inside the box, inside a dark medicine cabinet. I read the information that came with the patches, and it said that it could take between 12 and 24 hours for the peak amount of fentanyl to be in my blood. If the patches are for some reason not working, is there any way to salvage the fentanyl inside of them? I read one or two things on bluelight about smoking fentanyl, but no one really went into any great detail...would smoking it be safe? Would I smoke it the same way I do meth, with a bulb or some foil?
Has anyone else had much experience with these patches? Can it really take up to 24 hours to feel full effect? Should I even try to smoke them?
I don't think I am violating any posting guidelines with this post...if I am let me know and I will edit as soon as possible.
Any help would be appreciated.
Slowhand

Hmmmm.
Well, first of all, I doubt the fentanyl patches are really expired....they might be slightly less potent but I can't imagine that there would be a dramatic loss of potency. I can't tell you the number of times I've taken various drugs/medications that supposedly have "expired"....most chemicals aren't like food, they don't degrade nearly as quickly, ESPECIALLY if kept in a dark, airtight storage space.
As for why you arne't feeling anything -- usually it does take a while to really kick in, several hours at least for you to really be feeling it. You say it has been about 10 hours now? Has the high been increasing, if not dramatically, at least steadily? Or do you feel like you aren't getting higher as time goes on?
Also, I know you said you are an opiate virgin, but it is still possible that you have a natural high tolerance to opiates. Thus, even without an induced tolerance opiates don't affect you as much.
[ 20 February 2002: Message edited by: fairnymph ]

Snip the corner and rub a small bit of the gel on your gums. Wait 20 min. Re-apply as necessary.
This is the most effecient way that I've found. don't need much gel either, if you are opiate naive. Just a little drop. You can always do more, but you can't do less. Unless you have a syringe of Narcan handy.

I have a good amount of experiencewiht patches (maybe 50-70 in my life) .. for most, you start to feel the high within a couple hours, for SOME it actually takes awhile for the drug to kick in.. now, it's a 50ug patch, whil this SHOULD fuck up most people, however, some people don't react as strong to fentanyl as others...
As for your question - do the patches go bad? Well, more-so compared to other opioids, namely as the fentanyl is suspended in it's gel.. but still, they should be just as potent as they only expired about 2 years ago... in fact, I would bet they are as potent as they ever were..
What could have gone wrong? Well, is the patch on PERFECTLY TIGHT? if ANY air gets under it then you're fucked, so the seal has to be PERFECT!
Can you salvage it? Well, trying to apply the gel can be dangerous, so just wear it.. you cna take a blow dryer and put it above the patch - heat it up and apply pressure to it, this may help... if not, well, it's one for the books!

First, there was a study done of prescription meds by the government and other 3rd party companies. They found out that the majority of prescription meds actually stay at full strength for 10 years or more (google it). Some anti-biotics may not be safe but pain meds usually stay at full strength or only lessen by a small amount like 2% in 10-20 years according to the study. Companies know this but put expiration dates on them to sell more.
second, I've been on the patches in the past for chronic pain (herniated dics). I would massage the patch slightly to make sure the gels are mixed properly and then apply as instructions direct. One thing I found is it could take up to 24 hours for you to feel it working. The other thing is they usually fall off before the 48-72 hours are up. There is a product to put over it (like they use on IV's) Nexcare from 3M. It's called Tegaderm. Get the clear dressing. it usually has 8 and the size to cover the patch is usually 2 3/8 inch X 2 3/4 inch (60.3mm X 69.8mm). These really hold the patches on for the 3 days. They are water proof and I always had success with them even exercising and through bathing or a shower and even swimming. Otherwise the patch will usually fall off by itself. The other thing is after it was time to remove the patch there was a little gel left. I was able to peel or cut it open and either lick it to get the remaining gel. If there was a lot left I would make sure to drink a lot of water. You have to be careful with fentanyl as it can cause respiratory failure and you also could over dose. These are my experiences so I'm not telling you what to do except for using the covering I mentioned.