• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

Can ecstasy cause bipolar disorder

Young_ile

Bluelighter
Just wondering if any people with bipolar disorder think that ecstasy may have been the cause of their diagnosis. I had a full blown manic episode after taking ecstasy 3 days in a row. Just wondering if anybody else wonders if e had anything to do with it.

Abusing MDMA can certainly trigger manic episodes. It can also lead to depression.
I'm not crystal clear on the diagnostic criteria for Bipolar Disorder/s.. but it seems to me that you could potentially earn yourself a diagnosis directly through the abuse of MDMA.

So.. in a sense.. yes, misuse of MDMA could be the direct cause of a Bipolar diagnosis.

But can MDMA 'cause' someone to develop Bipolar Disorder? No, I don't think so.

Once I have manic episodes after taking ecstasy does that mean I am bipolar? Can I say that the drugs induced the mania? I'm sober now and I am waiting until I have an episode while sober to tell myself that I am bipolar.

Bipolar disorder, if it even exists which is debatable, is WAY overdiagnosed in America today and is not necessarily permanent even in the rare event that it does happen. Plus, there is no good pharmacological treatment fot it at the moment, so don't bother wasting your time with lithium carbonate or valproic acid. If uou think you're "bipolar" and you're here on BL, there's a good chance your condition has been recreationally drug induced.

Bipolar isn't caused by anything. It can certainly be triggered which induces an earlier onset. But, if you have it, you have it. When people ask me what mania is like I tell them it feels like day 2 of a meth binge. It gets worse just like it too.

bipolar is widely misdiagnosed and even more widely misunderstood. Mood swings are normal and everyone has them, if you have a bunch of them that is no indicator of having it. Cycling episodes are the "guts" of bipolar, mood swings can often be the least of your problems. You have to be manic for at least a week to be classified as manic. Depressed for at least three weeks to be a depressive episode. There's extensive criteria to meet for each. And number one is was it substance induced. Do not diagnose yourself or think your manic. Mostly because you aren't the one who notices it until it's too late.

It is a dangerous game and it makes me sad that you think that. Because it is not a game or thing to take lightly, i would not condemn my worst enemy to this life. If you think a drug addiction consumes you then just wait and see. I hope you get recuperated and serotonin levels out.

Last edited:
it could have been triggered due to lack of sleep aswell if u took it 3 days in a row.. if u steer clear of abusing energy raising drugs u might have no recurrences.

Bipolar isn't caused by anything. It can certainly be triggered which induces an earlier onset. But, if you have it, you have it. When people ask me what mania is like I tell them it feels like day 2 of a meth binge. It gets worse just like it too.

This ^^^^^

True mania is a state of mind where you actually think you can do absolutely nothing wrong. Every bet, every choice, every thought -- you are right, you can see, understand, and do anything.

Drugs can definitely trigger the first episode of an underlying mental illness, or mimic the effects of one. MDMA is an amphetamine, so mania is not out of the range of normal effects while you're on it. And then there's the depressing crash.

You don't have to be bipolar to experience these extremes, mind you. But if you DO have a mood disorder, these states can be more dangerous than for a healthy person. It's why I stopped doing MDMA in 2010. The comedowns were not helping my depression.

In all honesty OP I think you are just experiencing neurotransmitter depletion. How do you know you had a manic episode? If it was a 'crazy day' then no. I think you need to rest and eat right. This is what happens after a binge. I seriously pray you're not bipolar. What you're feeling though is pretty similar to mania. So imagine feeling that every single day when your manic and you can't do a thing to stop it. Well, you can but you won't. It's identical to the cycle of addiction. You've been in a depressive episode so long that when mania emerges and you cycle you become super man. Creativity and productivity blow through the roof. You are so excited you can't talk right. People will inevitably ask if you're tweaking as the symptoms are all but identical. Except you don't get to say okay I am done gonna start my comedown ritual. You have no say whatsoever in anything when it comes to that. It's almost like you have to get permission from this demon to do anything. Your life gets to a point where it revolves around the disorder.

Best part? The disorder more often than not gets worse over time, especially when left untreated. If you experience one manic episode and/or a psychotic break then you are classified as type 1 bipolar. And once you go manic the chances of you doing it again are virtually 100%.

Im not trying to scare or freak you out. I just hope you understand the gravity. I would be finding reasons that suggest I wasn't bipolar. I hope you check back in with us and if you see a doctors let us know. I'm type 2 rapid-cycling bipolar, PM me if you ever have any questions about any of it. I'll always be here for ya if you get diagnosed. I wouldn't wig out yet though. Let your brain juices refill.

You don't have to be bipolar to experience these extremes, mind you. But if you DO have a mood disorder, these states can be more dangerous than for a healthy person. It's why I stopped doing MDMA in 2010. The comedowns were not helping my depression.

^^ this is SO fucking important to know.

Mdma can definitely exagarate a mood disorder.

I have emotionally unstable personality disorder and id never tried drugs until i was 19. Whenever i took a fair bit of mdma id exerience the euphoria and loved up feelings that went onto an 'afterglow' or an overall improved mood that lasted through sunday.. monday then tuesday/wednesday... crashhhhhh suicidal thoughts more so than im used to ..

But

I had something to compare my usual mood swings to . Its probably how i could bring myself to be assessed and they diagnosed me with that

Drugs and drug use really teaches you a lot about yourself