• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Can drug use during adolescence years cause irreversible brain damage?

Stimfreak2234

Bluelighter
Hello, I started doing Dxm and weed at 14, dropping acid at 15 still heavily using Dxm, then had psychosis diagnosed as bipolar right after I turned 16, stayed sober a few months after using benzos, turned 17 feeling a lot better, started doing adderall and meth. Now I’m worried I did irreversible damage as I notice a clear change. I want to be back to normal is that possible now, or did I trigger a latent mental disorder?

You most likely haven't done any damage to your brain, but you have changed your neurochemistry. The only way to get better is to stay off drugs for a while.

Don't fall prey to the defeatist thinking that you are a lost cause, you are far from it. You have your whole life ahead of you and while it may feel hopeless now, you can turn it around.

Get clean and eventually you will see a return of a healthy state of mind. It's not going to happen overnight, but you seem like you want to get better, you still can if you allow yourself some sober time to get your mental state in order

I wish you luck, it is very good that you've identified that you have a problem. It won't be easy, but you can do it

It will take that long? Years?
Dude you're super young. I thought I had the same when I was your age. You just gotta be some months clean, drugs aren't everything in life man. U still got 30 more years to get high if u want. Theres something called neuroplasticity too, ur brain cells create new connections. Playing sudoku or tetris stimulate your brain btw too.
Do something in life first youngman, then u can do some drugs ig u want. Wait til ur body stops developing first, that'd b ideal.

You most likely haven't done any damage to your brain, but you have changed your neurochemistry. The only way to get better is to stay off drugs for a while.

Don't fall prey to the defeatist thinking that you are a lost cause, you are far from it. You have your whole life ahead of you and while it may feel hopeless now, you can turn it around.

Get clean and eventually you will see a return of a healthy state of mind. It's not going to happen overnight, but you seem like you want to get better, you still can if you allow yourself some sober time to get your mental state in order

I wish you luck, it is very good that you've identified that you have a problem. It won't be easy, but you can do it
That’s good, I been sober since October 3rd and it’s improved however not completely

Dude you're super young. I thought I had the same when I was your age. You just gotta be some months clean, drugs aren't everything in life man. U still got 30 more years to get high if u want. Theres something called neuroplasticity too, ur brain cells create new connections. Playing sudoku or tetris stimulate your brain btw too.
Do something in life first youngman, then u can do some drugs ig u want. Wait til ur body stops developing first, that'd b ideal.
It’s been 5 months now and I’m still struggling a lot, but alot better than where I was for sure. Been sober since October 3rd

Methamphetamines particularly known for being neurotoxin when abused but at your age I seriously don't think u could have caused thst much damage.

I wouldn't start worrying about damage, you are sober and you'll continue to improve if you stay off of everything. The young brain, while susceptible, is also resilient and the same way drugs changed you, being sober will change you in the opposite way.

Keep it up man, you're doing excellent

What kind of signs of damage would the neurotoxicity manifest as?
U don't have neurotoxicity that's foe hsrdcore junkies doing heroic doses staying up for days on end. U don't qualify in thst group(yet, never let ur guard down) you're doing great kid, keep it up. It's impressive. U literally saying years of ur life, and most importsntly, HEALTH.theres nothing better than waking up next to your loved one and flin make love. Better than any syringe filled with the purest h or meth man. ✌🌈👌

Oh btw, if you have any dope left, send it to me ASAP, I’ll dispose of it properly

Hello, I started doing Dxm and weed at 14, dropping acid at 15 still heavily using Dxm, then had psychosis diagnosed as bipolar right after I turned 16, stayed sober a few months after using benzos, turned 17 feeling a lot better, started doing adderall and meth. Now I’m worried I did irreversible damage as I notice a clear change. I want to be back to normal is that possible now, or did I trigger a latent mental disorder?
Hello, I would like to share my experiences with you. I started to use it around 13 years of age until i was about 21 years old when I entered my first visit to rehab. I could feel that I was not fully mature like I should have been. After 9 months before transitioning to sober living, I could feel I was starting to mature in little slow ways. I continued to develop up until the point I started using again. I don't know if there is any medical research behind this type of thing or not. I could not tell you but I bet somebody would post information about it or maybe it was just me,

I started weed at 14 or 15 then harder drugs like heroin coke benzos at 16-17 got clean on everything other than weed at 22, which was about 20 months ago. Still got pretty bad memory issues, a lot of stuff that happened in the past in my life I sort of find hard to remember sometimes but I think when Im not smokin weed making new memories seems to happen quite easily. Other than that I think I am more anxious than I used to be but that comes from more factors than just the drug use so overall I would say that the longer you go without drugs the more you improve. I always thought I could be back to my old self after about 5 years off the drugs considering I was on them for about 5 years, so go without drugs for at least as long as you were on them is my advice

Hey brother! The memories start coming back with more clean & sober time. For me when I was sober I continually stayed anxious and very paranoid and scared to be around people when entering the public sector. I had non-negititive behaviors and actions follow me into sobriety that never went away sober. Unfortantitley I have relapsed and using it again. However, this go-around has not been bad because I don't have an ex-friend and my ex-girlfriend that I followed blindly like a fool that dragged me through hell and back.