• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants can adderall cause depression?

nancy145

Bluelighter
sorry that this threads really disorganized and scattered, im on some adderall myself rn.

my friends been taking 30 mg of adderall XR every day at 7am since last Tuesday (it's Saturday now), and she says she's been feeling really depressed and wondering if it could be the adderall. the depression starts between 12 and 1 pm, and lasts the rest of the day. She feels fine before that though. she has a high natural tolerence to amphetamines, so she doesn't get any euphoria from this dose. she doesn't have ADD or ADHD either, in case that could have anything to do with it. she doesn't have any history of stimulant addiction too (unless you count nicotine). Could it maybe just be the crash? she also said its causing her severe sleeping issues, so she's only been sleeping a few hours a night, which probably is at least part of it, but i think that's not the entire reason. she does feel fine in the morning though, when she's most rested and the adderall is giving her the most energy, so that makes it more likely the sleep has to do with it. She's also using it primarily for weight loss, but im pretty sure she's actually almost underweight, so maybe it could be malnutrition? i don't know how much she's eating, but if your on adderall and are trying to eat as little as possible its probably gonna be next to nothing. i doubt this can have anything at all to do with addiction, since shes only been taking it 5 days and isn't even getting euphoria from it. so what's causing the depression? the lack of sleep? malnutrition? the adderall crash? just the adderall itself? or can adderall just not do this and its not related to the adderall? thanks for the help

Yes, most certainly. Downregulation of dopamine receptors.... low base levels of dopamine when not on adderall.

I'd say lack of sleep it's been linked to irritabilty and agression in many studies those two are often the first outward signs of depression.

I'd tend to agree that it's the crash from the adderall. I'm susceptible to crashing from even the smallest doses... And depression is what hits me hardest during that time.

I bet the malnutrition and lack of sleep are contributing to the depression as well.

Please inform her (remind her?) that it is not a good idea to use stimulants for weight loss for a variety of reasons (risk versus benefit, danger of addiction, any weight loss is usually quickly gained back when stopping stimulants).

At the very least she should be trying to eat as normally as possible while on adderral. Her metabolism is higher than normal while on it, so even eating normally she will still loose weight... And it may even make her feel better throughout the day. (Her motivation is to loose weight... I highly doubt she will consider eating more)

Maybe she could try some melatonin for sleep at night?

It's very possibly. Especially since she may not be eating, or sleeping very few hours. And of course the down regulation of dopamine and norepinephrine stated above could make her feel very tired and depressed. Most important thing to be doing on stimulants is eating a sleeping witch your friend hasn't been doing.

Oh yeah it's definitely possible.

Slightly different drug but I used to take dexamfetamine (still do occasionally) and the crashes were awful. Hard to get through without benzos. And for me the depression could last a few days after a couple of days of using dex (not even bingeing - just taking the prescribed dose). I guess it just depletes dopamine.

Absolutely..the crash from adderal is terrible and most certainly can cause depression, Nast anhedonia and feelings of dysphasia..

I would suggest for her to eat a healthy diet high in antioxidants and natural vitamins (some fruit, but due to sugar she may want to avoid some fruit), coupled with daily stretches and brisk exercise, and proper sleep (going to bed at the same time everynight). I would also discontinue the stimulant use for five day stretches. Basically, her body is having to readjust to her normal state (homeostasis) and following those three simple guidelines; diet, exercise, and rest will get her there quicker. It will also be a more healthy way to deal with her weight.

There may also be some underlying body dysmorphia disorder if she is already very thin and taking adderal to lose weight.

[h=2]Adderall question 80 mg at one time.[/h]
Okay so is 3:43am where I'm at and I took adderall for the first time at like 12:30am ... I took 2( 20mg ) pills and then at 1:34am and I'm not high any more and my high wore off at 2:31 .... Is that normal lol ? Like I'm tempted to take more. Will I get high again ? or is this over dose ? I don't usually pop pills it's just lately I been going through a lot and I'm just so stressed with school ... I just need it right now.

First are they ER or IR.

Secondly if you need them for stress and studying, just keep in mind about state based learning. If you are using them to study, you will need to take the test on them as well.

Also, having too much stimulants in you is a horrible feeling. I would hold off on taking more and get some rest. Try to eat and drink something.

I would not call 80 mgs an "overdose" but it is 20 mgs higher than the highest recommended dose of 60 mgs.
You're never going to keep an adderal high very long. I take mine as prescribed and because I need them and on the first pill I do get that euphoric feeling someone might call a high but I don't get it back on my next dose or two.

Sounds like w/e problems she has that causes her to feel she needs Addies to lose weight n not eat are being exacerbated by the adds/no nutrients / minimal sleep.

I kind of did the same thing in highschool, was chunky kid b4 highschool & drugs & Addies let me do good in school n keep the weight off, took them 2 semesters n did better then I ever did in school all A's & B's & 1 C.....every other year I've failed....made my parents so proud n that's all I ever wanted to do but I couldn't keep taking them after that 2nd semester. It was killin my mental health w/ the lack of sleep, food, & pacing my room after school lol

Amphetamine-like drugs certainly caused depression for me. Terrible anxiety during the high and crippling dysphoria during the crash. If they affect you that way, the best idea is to just avoid them altogether.