• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

can a hospital report a failed drug test to your job?

frostedsmoke

Greenlighter
failed a drug test at the emergency room and i am worried they will report it to my employer, that would literally ruin my life.

please reassure me that wont happen! im having major panic attacks over this.

How would they know who your employer is?
I think your medical records are confidential. Not something the hospital will share around willingly.

No they will not. This is illegal under HIPA laws unless a disclosure was signed or you were somehow implicated through court or the legal system. You’ll be ok ??

Was the drug test a semi-routine toxicology screen, as they do in case people are either not telling them everything, unintelligible because the patient can only get out raccoon noises or there is no nurse on duty who speaks Sumerian or Old Norse, out cold, or out of their mind, for example, some beet-red guy screaming about the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man and aliens from Uranus after washing down a whole Jimsonweed root and some Miltown-based PMS medication with some paint thinner? There would be no reason, in that case they are the hospital, not the KGB.

Do that at work, and the results will be different. From an accounting standpoint I cannot imagine any kind of drugs testing actually being cost effective, so the motives are a bit more open to interpretation, shall we say . . . oy vey

Last edited:
failed a drug test at the emergency room and i am worried they will report it to my employer, that would literally ruin my life.

please reassure me that wont happen! im having major panic attacks over this.

Your fine, the hospital can only share your results or anything with your written permission

Just curious but why did you get tested at the hospital? I've been to the hospital on numerous occasions and I have never been drug tested. Just curious, if you don't care to share, no biggie. It sounds like you'll be OK, so I hope you can relax a bit now. Good luck!

Even a positive drugs test related to employment would require the patient to get a confidential call or visit from a Medical Review Officer to see why it may have been positive -- so the even if the above were not so, one would know if trouble was on the way from this interaction, intended to clear up reasons for false positives from other substances and prescription and legal OTC drug use.

When I had a drugs test in the United States to work at a bank when I was a student at university, I had already been a chronic pain patient for a number of years and was on what would generally be considered an astronomical quantity of Dilaudid and was prescribed injectable Numorphan as well, and oxymorphone is in the decay chain of oxycodone and so are its metabolites. I assumed that their "Comprehensive Drug Screening" would at least be looking for oxycodone and hydrocodone, as Percodan was famous as a party pill starting in the 1950s in Southern California, and hydro maybe a little later. This even if the Nida Five include morphine, codeine, their gluconrides, and acetylcodeine (a common ingredient in street heroin) under "opiates" I knew enough about pharmacology at this point to consider my result a false negative and was relieved but disgusted. How many people have had their lives ruined by false positives? They have closed sloppy and even corrupt testing laboratories in the past.